Drummers thread

cb_diamond

1 hour ago, johnnydun said:

The youngest, away to turn 13, has asked for a drum kit for his Christmas. He currently sings in a band with his school pals, used to play the guitar a bit but said he has no desire to pick up the axe again. Drumming is the way he wants to go.

Reading some of the posts on here, it looks like drummers are far more sought after than other instrument players for bands. Can anyone advise the best way for him to learn? I plan on getting him an adult kit.

@Cptn Hooch @cb_diamond @Squalor Vic @Empty It

Thank you.

Getting lessons through the school is a good jumping off points. He'll get the very basics there and if he gets a good teacher then a lot more than that. You can pay for private lessons also, but honestly, let him try with the school which should solidify his liking. Assume he's in second year if 13? Most councils offer lessons in the more common instruments at that age. Best to check with the music dept.

In terms of practicing at home, nothing beats an actual kit (pun intended). But a practice pad is also really useful to go alongside it so he can get his basic rudiments down. This will save him a tonne of time in his learning also as his hands will be "trained". They're also cheap as chips and very quiet.

In terms of kits, get a decent second hand if you can rather than a cheap new one, they're almost always terrible.

Then also consider tools for quiet practice on the kit (see my post and picture above). 

Finally don't cheap out on sticks, if his technique is still a bit janky at the start he'll turn them to kindling very quickly. A set of promark forwards or Vic Firth American Classics in a size like 5A would be a good starter 

PM if you need anything else 👍

Edited by cb_diamond

31 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Getting lessons through the school is a good jumping off points. He'll get the very basics there and if he gets a good teacher then a lot more than that. You can pay for private lessons also, but honestly, let him try with the school which should solidify his liking. Assume he's in second year if 13? Most councils offer lessons in the more common instruments at that age. Best to check with the music dept.

In terms of practicing at home, nothing beats an actual kit (pun intended). But a practice pad is also really useful to go alongside it so he can get his basic rudiments down. This will save him a tonne of time in his learning also as his hands will be "trained". They're also cheap as chips and very quiet.

In terms of kits, get a decent second hand if you can rather than a cheap new one, they're almost always terrible.

Then also consider tools for quiet practice on the kit (see my post and picture above). 

Finally don't cheap out on sticks, if his technique is still a bit janky at the start he'll turn them to kindling very quickly. A set of promark forwards or Vic Firth American Classics in a size like 5A would be a good starter 

PM if you need anything else 👍

Thank you very much.

Yes, he is currently doing them at school which has probably spurned his interest. A practice pad sounds like a great idea. Yeah, I had a look at those mesh covers, might be an idea! I remember when I was younger my mate had a duvet in his drum to quiet the sound, is this still a thing? Haha.

3 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Thank you very much.

Yes, he is currently doing them at school which has probably spurned his interest. A practice pad sounds like a great idea. Yeah, I had a look at those mesh covers, might be an idea! I remember when I was younger my mate had a duvet in his drum to quiet the sound, is this still a thing? Haha.

In the bass drum it absolutely is haha I go to gigs every weekend with a tartan shawl in mine!!!

One thing to add is that with the mesh heads unlike almost everything else with the drums there isn't a huge amount of benefit in getting expensive ones as you're not massively aiming to fully replicate the sounds of the drums, more the feel and a bit of the sound. With normal drum heads there's huge benefit in not getting cheap ones as its the single biggest thing you can do yourself (in conjunction  with tuning)to make a kit sound "good" when it's played at full volume.

Also, make sure you get him a drum key 👍

4 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Thank you very much.

The duvet in the bass drum dampens the ring rather than quietens the volume. The foam pads are a decent enough option without forking out a small fortune on an E-Kit. The advice from @cb_diamond is pretty much what I'd recommend too. Once he's properly got the bug, you could then look at private lessons where he'd learn more than he will through the school. Even online stuff like Drumeo is very good. I'd also say that jamming with friends is what brought my drumming on the best

4 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:

The duvet in the bass drum dampens the ring rather than quietens the volume. The foam pads are a decent enough option without forking out a small fortune on an E-Kit. The advice from @cb_diamond is pretty much what I'd recommend too. Once he's properly got the bug, you could then look at private lessons where he'd learn more than he will through the school. Even online stuff like Drumeo is very good. I'd also say that jamming with friends is what brought my drumming on the best

I will check out Drumeo.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/11/2023 at 03:02, johnnydun said:

The youngest, away to turn 13, has asked for a drum kit for his Christmas. He currently sings in a band with his school pals, used to play the guitar a bit but said he has no desire to pick up the axe again. Drumming is the way he wants to go.

Reading some of the posts on here, it looks like drummers are far more sought after than other instrument players for bands. Can anyone advise the best way for him to learn? I plan on getting him an adult kit.

Thank you.

As I have said earlier in this thread, consider silent skins.  If you are concerned about not annoying the neighbours it is a good idea.

On 25/11/2023 at 14:02, johnnydun said:

Thank you.

I know the Dundee schools drum teacher (Robbo). He’s a sound c**t and a good teacher.  Does he go to your boys school? He should be able to get some free lessons through the school. 

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

I know the Dundee schools drum teacher (Robbo). He’s a sound c**t and a good teacher.  Does he go to your boys school? He should be able to get some free lessons through the school. 

Ah nice. I don't know? It's Harris the boys go to. I will ask them.

1 hour ago, johnnydun said:

Ah nice. I don't know? It's Harris the boys go to. I will ask them.

Pretty sure he’ll do most schools in Dundee so should be at Harris. If not there’s another drum teacher that does St John’s so there’s more than one.