Drummers thread

cb_diamond

In similar fashion to the guitarist thread any drummers on the forum? How long have you been playing for? What type of gear do you use etc etc

I've been playing for nearing 30 years, currently have 3 bands on the go, albeit all are fairly low commitment.

Just sprung for my all time fantasy snare, a Ludwig supraphonic Lm402, which has replaced the wean as the current favourite thing in my house with the Mrs a distant 3rd haha

Edited by cb_diamond

3 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

My drum kit has been stacked in the corner of the spare room library/study for probably 5 or 6 years. Mapex Pro M. Lovely piece of kit. It makes me sad that I haven't picked up a drumstick in that time.

I can imagine, I went round the twist when I had a period of about 3/4 months when I couldn't play due to medical stuff. It's great stress relief as much as anything else. What's been the main factor in you not being able to play? Life just getting in the way?

Started playing about 15 years ago. Been in all sorts of bands in that time. Rock, Punk, Ceilidh, funk, soul, thrash, metal, pop....haven't played in a year though due to work and other commitments but choking to get back involved. I play a pearl export kit with zildjian cymbals....nothing fancy tbh. Also have a custom built cajon that is a bit of fun and great for a jam in the house or an acoustic gig.

9 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Also have a custom built cajon that is a bit of fun and great for a jam in the house or an acoustic gig.

Cajons are great, I had dismissed them for years and then finally got one last year and enjoy it tremendously. 

• 2 years later...

If any PnB drummers are looking for cymbals then Andertons are selling off the last of their new but old logo Sabian stock for really good prices. Just bagged a 20" Sabian AA china for £125, which is less than half of what it would have been pre logo change. They've got a fair different things left. Giving the full two year warranty as well.

Just noticed this thread! Been drumming a few years in and out bands, I'm nothing special but I do love it.

Bought a Alesis Command Mesh kit for jamming in my mates garage, not had a real kit for years as I chucked playing for a while. Had a Roland TD1k electric kit just for fucking about on but upgraded to the mesh kit and it's some difference. 

On 19/01/2022 at 20:42, Squalor Vic said:

Just noticed this thread! Been drumming a few years in and out bands, I'm nothing special but I do love it.

Bought a Alesis Command Mesh kit for jamming in my mates garage, not had a real kit for years as I chucked playing for a while. Had a Roland TD1k electric kit just for fucking about on but upgraded to the mesh kit and it's some difference. 

How do you find the response off of the mesh heads in comparison to accoustic drums?

Edited by cb_diamond

• 1 year later...

Not played in years and not able to have a real kit in the house looking at getting a electric kit.

Looking for £500 or less just something to get me playing again not bothered if it's second hand but no idea what I should be looking out for with electric kits.

Any tips or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. 

23 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Not played in years and not able to have a real kit in the house looking at getting a electric kit.

Looking for £500 or less just something to get me playing again not bothered if it's second hand but no idea what I should be looking out for with electric kits.

Not able to have a real kit in the house?  Too loud?

Are you aware of silent skins that have a similar response to a normal skin but are considerably quieter.  You can still have a conversation while playing the skins (including the bass drum).  I have Remo Silent  Strokes.

There are also quieter cymbals (full of holes).

The main concern is rim shots on the snare.  That will still be loud unless you get a Black Hole snare cover.

13 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Not able to have a real kit in the house?  Too loud?

Are you aware of silent skins that have a similar response to a normal skin but are considerably quieter.  You can still have a conversation while playing the skins (including the bass drum).  I have Remo Silent  Strokes.

There are also quieter cymbals (full of holes).

The main concern is rim shots on the snare.  That will still be loud unless you get a Black Hole snare cover.

That may be a shout, I had silencers on an old kit which were like rubber mats and the bass silencer was like a foam and they were absolutely shit but this was probably 10+ years ago I imagine they've improved significantly. 

2 hours ago, Empty It said:

Further up, the thread I got an Alesis Command electric kit, really like it, mesh heads, plenty sounds if thats your thing and certainly ticks the box for what I need it for, just jamming with mates in a garage. It's about 6-700 but the model below, the nitro, goes for 4-500 and gets pretty good reviews for a kinda budget kit.

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/02/2023 at 14:52, Empty It said:

Low volume tech has got ridiculously good in the last few years. I have a Tama Starclassic that I use for gigging and recording but shelled out a couple of hundred quid on a very basic natal kit with mesh heads and low volume cymbals from Gear4Music which I stuck in the wife's summerhouse, it's spectacularly quiet and quite decent to play.

PXL_20230215_142010842.jpg

Only just found this thread. Been playing drums for around 20 years now in a load of different bands ranging from trad scots to thrash metal and just about everything in between. Not much happening for me at the moment with 2 young kids occupying most of my time so I've found myself down a rabbit hole of random types of percussion that I can fiddle about with in the house. I've previously dabbled with the cajon but recently been spending my evenings tapping away on a tongue drum/tank drum....fantastic bit of kit and quite relaxing to play. 

9 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Only just found this thread. Been playing drums for around 20 years now in a load of different bands ranging from trad scots to thrash metal and just about everything in between. Not much happening for me at the moment with 2 young kids occupying most of my time so I've found myself down a rabbit hole of random types of percussion that I can fiddle about with in the house. I've previously dabbled with the cajon but recently been spending my evenings tapping away on a tongue drum/tank drum....fantastic bit of kit and quite relaxing to play. 

You're on a slippery slope to sitting cross-legged next to waterfall tapping a handpan 😂

• 8 months later...

The youngest, away to turn 13, has asked for a drum kit for his Christmas. He currently sings in a band with his school pals, used to play the guitar a bit but said he has no desire to pick up the axe again. Drumming is the way he wants to go.

Reading some of the posts on here, it looks like drummers are far more sought after than other instrument players for bands. Can anyone advise the best way for him to learn? I plan on getting him an adult kit.

@Cptn Hooch @cb_diamond @Squalor Vic @Empty It

Thank you.