Social media and the election.

welshbairn

I've asked this question on several threads in the past and never got an answer. Have you been targeted by political ads on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or any other social media? I'm not a member of any but regularly check up on Elizabeth Hurley's Instagram page just to check she's ok, and on quite a few twitter and facebook pages fairly randomly, but have never seen any political ads from any source, apart from the odd retweet or home grown madness. If I join up will I get brainwashed by Russian spies and American billionaire megalomaniac fuckwits? Or just see stuff you don't when casually lurking?

Get some emails from my main man Bernie. Can't do f**k all about them though, it's illegal for foreigns etc etc. 

Lets be honest however, they "target" rancid old racists who've "accidentally" shared rancid old racist shit anyway. They know their audience, and outside of about 3 people in this forum...

This was on the news this morning, some dodgy tax alliance group doing targeted adds against Labour saying you would have to pay over 250 quid a month more tax. It was pulled from facebook as it didn't declare who funded the add. The guy incharge of the group is a former advisor to Boris Johnson.

5 hours ago, JamieThomas said:

Get some emails from my main man Bernie. Can't do f**k all about them though, it's illegal for foreigns etc etc. 

Lets be honest however, they "target" rancid old racists who've "accidentally" shared rancid old racist shit anyway. They know their audience, and outside of about 3 people in this forum...

The best way to get a bigger audience is to target those that disagree. They'll have your pish across the internet in no time. I don't think I've ever seen anything by Kate Hopkins and co shared by anyone who actually agrees with them. It's always the offended who publicise their message.

I see a Tory candidate in Wales has had to issue an apology for saying on her Facebook page that the people on Benefits Street should be "put down".

Not sure if she's stood down yet but who will be the first candidate to have to withdraw due to social media madness?

Labour candidate posting that the Jews arranged Brexit to prevent Jeremy Corbyn taking power and bring peace to Mauritania?

SNP candidate accusing Laura Kuennesberg of masterminding the BBC weathermap to minimise Scotland and destroy our national self confidence?

Lib Dem candidate slammed for incendiary post on why they prefer red pepper hummus to caramelised onion.

About 5 years ago, I stupidly left my Facebook open in front of my college classmates, while I nipped to the loo.

They did the usual of posting embarrassing stuff on your wall etc. But they also liked a load of LGBT pages, a load of ukip/Pro brexit pages, and a load of weird extreme Christian pages.

To this day the Facebook algorithms seem to think that I'm an evangelical gay racist.

As a result I still get targeted ads relating to this.

• 4 weeks later...
I see a Tory candidate in Wales has had to issue an apology for saying on her Facebook page that the people on Benefits Street should be "put down".
Not sure if she's stood down yet but who will be the first candidate to have to withdraw due to social media madness?
Labour candidate posting that the Jews arranged Brexit to prevent Jeremy Corbyn taking power and bring peace to Mauritania?
SNP candidate accusing Laura Kuennesberg of masterminding the BBC weathermap to minimise Scotland and destroy our national self confidence?
Lib Dem candidate slammed for incendiary post on why they prefer red pepper hummus to caramelised onion.

Well I was wrong here. Turns out that the Labour candidate in Falkirk got turfed from the Party for ant-Semitism on Facebook, the SNP lost their Kirkcaldy candidate for the same and the Tories have withdrawn one candidate in Glasgow and one in Aberdeen for racism, homophobia and anti-Semitism.

How did people get all this out before Facebook? Or does Facebook make people racist?

On 06/12/2019 at 22:55, ICTChris said:

Well I was wrong here. Turns out that the Labour candidate in Falkirk got turfed from the Party for ant-Semitism on Facebook, the SNP lost their Kirkcaldy candidate for the same and the Tories have withdrawn one candidate in Glasgow and one in Aberdeen for racism, homophobia and anti-Semitism.

How did people get all this out before Facebook? Or does Facebook make people racist?

People like to "be themselves" online, in a way they don't feel they can in real life.

Unfortunately, in a lot of cases, that means revealing the fact that they're hate-filled, bigoted messes, who hold all kinds of insane and irrational beliefs. It's the modern version of your mate getting plastered and, to your horror, displaying that he's actually been a horrible person all along, behind the veneer of friendly respectability.

It's not necessarily a bad thing. People can save you a lot of time by telling the world that they believe people with different skin colours to them are inherently worthless, or that they enjoy trying to elicit angry reactions from the parents of children who've died in massacres. Some things scream, "keep at arm's length".

On 07/12/2019 at 00:24, speckled tangerine said:

I'm not on on facebook or any of that shite.  Unfortunately, my actual name is Speckled Tangerine so when I stand for office I'll be ruined. 

It won’t worry you; you have a thick skin.

On 06/12/2019 at 23:24, speckled tangerine said:

I'm not on on facebook or any of that shite.  Unfortunately, my actual name is Speckled Tangerine so when I stand for office I'll be ruined. 

It didn't stop an orange skinned man named after a fart becoming President.