Clocks back Rovers v Stranraer

3 hours ago, Jilted John said:

Have the people calling for Dave McKay to get a start actually seen him play? I don’t like slating young players but neither he or Watson are going to be good enough and I suspect both will leave at the end of the season.

I don’t see us playing a back three tomorrow against a team who will almost certainly have ten men behind the ball.

You said "Have the people calling for Dave McKay to get a start actually seen him play? "  Yes! McKay came in for both Davo and Bene in the last 2 seasons when they were injured. On one occasion McKay was MotM the following week and for a few games looked like the best centre half we had (including Murray) yet as soon as both Davo and  Bene were fit  available he was dropped like a hot potato. All too often McGlynn has shoved him in at RB when he's clearly not a right back and it's unfair to judge him as such, something akin to playing Vaughan or Matthews out wide or Gillespie at right back, yes they can fill the jersey but they don't look like they should be there.

You also said "I suspect both will leave at the end of the season."    If McKay is released at the end of the season it will be down to McGlynn blindness and favouritism of Bene and Davo, McKay is a very good if not great prospect but he isn't getting a chance.

Watson I feel sorry for too, he badly needs game time but with only 2 spare defenders on the bench we can't even put him out on loan to get experience, which is a shame as he is good at both defending and attacking and has a rifle like shot on him too.

I've seen both these players at reserve level and in the 1st team too, have you?

You also said "I don’t see us playing a back three tomorrow against a team who will almost certainly have ten men behind the ball."   What do you mean then? They've got 10 men behind the ball should we deploy even more defenders and go with 4 at the back?  Surely that's a more defensive line-up, would it not be better to flood the midfield to prevent them taking hold of the game in the way that Peterhead did so successfully last week?

We need to widen our usable team. We need those reserves able to play on game day. We don’t have the luxury of keeping a player on the sidelines because he isn’t getting playing time because he needs playing time. Injuries already reared up once this season, and will again.

Yes, there is inevitable risk in playing your reserve players, but there is also a huge potential reward.

I don't really care how the young players look at reserve level tbh. Yaw Osei and Johnny Court looked good at reserve level, that tells you all you ever need to know. 

Young players need game time to develop, but their needs to be some confidence that they are good enough. I haven't really seen anything in his first team experience to suggest we can have confidence in Watson being good enough, and playing him for the sake of it won't help anyone. 

Mckay I liked the look of initially, but again he hasn't looked good enough of late when he's played. 

Young players only deserve a chance if they are good enough. No amount of game time will turn a poor player good. 

McKay should still be considered for centre back. If nothing else, he hasn’t been sent off for dissent/got the first of two yellows for dissent in the past few weeks.

I’d personally play the 5 tomorrow with McKay alongside Bene and Anderson. Davidson only back if one of the other three aren’t performing, a red card for dissent warrants at least a few weeks on the bench regardless of who are you are IMO.

Munro
Miller McKay Anderson Bene Macca
Spencer Matthews
Dingwall
Baird Anderson

Would be very surprised if the line-up is anything like this, but I am absolutely desperate to see us avoid a repeat of the last few seasons where players come out with absolute shitebag performances like last Saturday and aren’t dropped.

You said "Have the people calling for Dave McKay to get a start actually seen him play? "  Yes! McKay came in for both Davo and Bene in the last 2 seasons when they were injured. On one occasion McKay was MotM the following week and for a few games looked like the best centre half we had (including Murray) yet as soon as both Davo and  Bene were fit  available he was dropped like a hot potato. All too often McGlynn has shoved him in at RB when he's clearly not a right back and it's unfair to judge him as such, something akin to playing Vaughan or Matthews out wide or Gillespie at right back, yes they can fill the jersey but they don't look like they should be there.
You also said "I suspect both will leave at the end of the season."    If McKay is released at the end of the season it will be down to McGlynn blindness and favouritism of Bene and Davo, McKay is a very good if not great prospect but he isn't getting a chance.
Watson I feel sorry for too, he badly needs game time but with only 2 spare defenders on the bench we can't even put him out on loan to get experience, which is a shame as he is good at both defending and attacking and has a rifle like shot on him too.
I've seen both these players at reserve level and in the 1st team too, have you?
You also said "I don’t see us playing a back three tomorrow against a team who will almost certainly have ten men behind the ball."   What do you mean then? They've got 10 men behind the ball should we deploy even more defenders and go with 4 at the back?  Surely that's a more defensive line-up, would it not be better to flood the midfield to prevent them taking hold of the game in the way that Peterhead did so successfully last week?

McKay was given motm because he was a young player breaking into the team. Not because he was particularly good in that game. He’s not strong enough or physical enough to be a centre half.

When I said we will play a back four, instead of a back three, what I should have said was a back five. Why on earth would you play three centre halves at home to Stranraer who will have one up front on his own? You play two at centre half and push the full backs up the park.

. Why on earth would you play three centre halves at home to Stranraer who will have one up front on his own?

We played that way against Peterhead in our 4-0 win and it was the best performance we’ve had since... Ray McKinnon, probably.

2 hours ago, Scottydog said:

:unsure2:

We played that way against Peterhead in our 4-0 win and it was the best performance we’ve had since... Ray McKinnon, probably.

Aye the thickos that think three at the back automatically = defensive don’t know what they’re talking about.

9 hours ago, CALDERON said:

I don't really care how the young players look at reserve level tbh. Yaw Osei and Johnny Court looked good at reserve level, that tells you all you ever need to know. 

Young players need game time to develop, but their needs to be some confidence that they are good enough. I haven't really seen anything in his first team experience to suggest we can have confidence in Watson being good enough, and playing him for the sake of it won't help anyone. 

Mckay I liked the look of initially, but again he hasn't looked good enough of late when he's played. 

Young players only deserve a chance if they are good enough. No amount of game time will turn a poor player good. 

Two seasons ago everyone was singing McKays praises at CB beside Davo. How many games has he had a chance at CB under McGlynn?

Tait has one game against Falkirk, did well, then he’s back on the bench. When will he next get a start? Need a few more games to see what’s what.

Still, McGlynn is in charge. The job of getting us out this League is his and he can do whatever he wants if it gets us promoted.

1 hour ago, Raith_Raver said:

Too many of our refs are poor but he really is the dregs.

Noting that the dregs impact both teams equally. We were pretty happy with two previous games he called, and the other was a draw. Yes, the recent game against Dundee sucked, but so did our play.