Premiership coverage/ sportscene/ sportsound

Not saying sportsound perfect but listenning to the goals going in on a saturday via their (albeit chaotic) "open all mics" system to me far more exciting and atmospheric than the drab product you end up watching on sportscene on sunday night. I recognise the restrictions on rights/ budget but I suppose what I'm getting at is it would be far more enjoyable if they could somehow recreate some of that immediacy when the highlights are broadcast rather than those pasted on commentaries we get now.

How could they realistically make it better? 

I remember watching highlights from this game a couple of seasons ago from Rugby Park. They just used Rob Maclean's radio commentary http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42798954 . It's almost strange there actually being some atmosphere but sounds much better to my ears. Hope you'd agree.

Sorry if this kind of thing has been posted elsewhere but a quick search did not find any similar topic. If there is discussion elsewhere I'd appreciate direction to it.

Totally agree that any half decent radio commentary being used for the TV highlights should be better than the pasted on commentary. The problem is though , that for most games there isn’t a full radio commentary.

But watching the clips from that Killie- Dundee game has just reinforced my views that I posted on another thread recently, about Rob McLean being useless as a radio commentator.  Imagine you were listening to that commentary on the radio. With the penalty , he takes ages , about 10 seconds after the kick to confirm that it’s actually a goal.  And with the red card  , he doesn’t actually say who it is that’s been sent off, which is poor for the TV clips  (although I realise that it was probably poor editing of his radio commentary of that incident for the TV clips that was the problem).

Edited by A96

6 hours ago, holdnudgehold said:

Not saying sportsound perfect but listenning to the goals going in on a saturday via their (albeit chaotic) "open all mics" system to me far more exciting and atmospheric than the drab product you end up watching on sportscene on sunday night. I recognise the restrictions on rights/ budget but I suppose what I'm getting at is it would be far more enjoyable if they could somehow recreate some of that immediacy when the highlights are broadcast rather than those pasted on commentaries we get now.

How could they realistically make it better? 

I remember watching highlights from this game a couple of seasons ago from Rugby Park. They just used Rob Maclean's radio commentary http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42798954 . It's almost strange there actually being some atmosphere but sounds much better to my ears. Hope you'd agree.

Sorry if this kind of thing has been posted elsewhere but a quick search did not find any similar topic. If there is discussion elsewhere I'd appreciate direction to it.

Quality of the 'in the broom cupboard' comms discussed here...

Open All Mics etc discussed here...