St Johnstone vs Hibs

Was going to say this is the worst defence collectively I've seen in my time watching Saints, but Tam beat me to it.

Losing is part of life for anyone outwith The OF in this league, but its the nature of our defeats which I find hard to take.  Our games for the most part have been really unenjoyable to watch this season because we're behind early doors , chasing the game and usually with an air of inevitability about it. So few games have been in the balance for any period of time to build up excitement or interest.  The opposition has scored first in all but one of our 12 league matches this season.

Hibs were clearly better, deserved their win and it probably should have been by more, but they didn't have to work particularly hard for any of their goals. Almost every attack you feel might end in a goal.  It's almost like watching under 14's football in that respect.

I get that Jason Kerr has been very poor, but the manager is hanging him out to dry with those around him. That inside right channel between Duffy and Ralston must be the most prosperous furrow for opposition teams to plow in Scottish football. A massive reflection on our manager's summer of incompetence that a 19 year old with no first team appearances, who was brought in to develop for the long term, is being forced to start and is getting destroyed most matches. Feel sorry for him and just hope it doesn't ruin his confidence permanently.

The strange thing was, if we'd showed any ability on the ball whatsoever, there could have been a few goals in that match for us. Hibs were wide open, but the number of misplaced 5-10 yard passes from Saints was horrendous.  Kennedy's at the halfway line for the third goal being a prime example.

I think everyone knew Hibs and hearts would pull away with managerial changes, so hopefully Livi lose tomorrow and at least we won't have lost ground on our Relegation rivals other than Accies' good away point. 

1 minute ago, PauloPerth said:

I think everyone knew Hibs and hearts would pull away with managerial changes, so hopefully Livi lose tomorrow and at least we won't have lost ground on our Relegation rivals other than Accies' good away point. 

Livingston wont be in a relegation battle. Not a chance.

Its between us, Hamilton and St Mirren. You reckon this group has the bollocks to win that slog of a battle?

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He was getting stick, so gave it back. The fact you still seem rattled by it months later presumably means he achieved what he wanted.

Far better that than identikit, passionless, managers who never communicate at all with opposition fans IMO.

I put it to you that it is indeed you who is rattled this evening.

Wright is a welt of man.

Don't quote me again please.

1 minute ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Thought Naismith and Newell played their best game’s for us today. 

Newell misplaced a fair few passes today. He was better at Hamilton, I think. I lost count of the number of times Naismith neutered the boy playing on St J's left wing, so I'm agreed there.

4-1 flattered us. Hibs well worth their win and that level of performance every weej will see us marooned at the bottom before the end of January. 

I can’t really be arsed going through the specifics but there wasn’t really anything positive to take from that today, other than it might force the manager to bring in at least one experienced defender which we so clearly desperately need. 

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Livingston wont be in a relegation battle. Not a chance.

Its between us, Hamilton and St Mirren. You reckon this group has the bollocks to win that slog of a battle?

A third of the season gone.

Livingston "not a chance of relegation" are on 13 points.

St Johnstone "will be relegated" are on 10 points.

🤔

In answer to your question, who knows?  If it's the Saints side who battled to victory over Hearts, then every chance. If it's the side that put in that performance today, then it will be very difficult.

4 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

A third of the season gone.

Livingston "not a chance of relegation" are on 13 points.

St Johnstone "will be relegated" are on 10 points.

🤔

In answer to your question, who knows?  If it's the Saints side who battled to victory over Hearts, then every chance. If it's the side that put in that performance today, then it will be very difficult.

Livingston seem to have the ability to grind out wins, I'm not sure we do.

Hamilton and Hearts performances are some of the worst we'll witness from opposition teams all season, and we barely scraped past Hamilton then needed an own goal against Hearts.

Just now, ali_91 said:

So we grinded out wins against Hearts and Hamilton is what you’re saying? 

Maybe, it feels different but maybe that's negative bias.

I've no faith in us beating anyone who isnt utterly shite though.

17 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hamilton and Hearts performances are some of the worst we'll witness from opposition teams all season, and we barely scraped past Hamilton then needed an own goal against Hearts.

I agree that in both those games, the opposition were poor. After some reflection and booze, I'm probably less upset about today than the St Mirren game. 

That's not to excuse today's defensive debacle or the managerial decisions - to be clear we were rotten. But .... in Paisley St Mirren were shite and we never even gave our hosts the courtesy of turning up. Hibs were always going to be a landmine today being a moderately talented, attacking team that have suddenly become highly motivated after ditching a massive lead weight of a manager. 

Edited by Valentino Bolognese
Changed 'talented' to 'moderately talented'. Bit more reasonable.

7 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

7 hours ago, ali_91 said:

Yeah, that defence means anyone with a hint of attacking talent will have joy against us. Very frustrating times, but there’s plenty of other sides that are dross in the league, and at least we are in the position where we know where the weakness is in the side and so should be able to rectify if we’re still in the shit come January.

Agree with Ali. A good experienced centre back leading us from the back and we are a transformed team in my eyes.  I think that would give us a platform for our better players further forward to perform.

I'm not sure Livi, st Mirren and Accies could change that drastically without signing quite a few players.  

Just keep in touch until the window, unless there's  free agent kicking about now, and hope that Tommy is on the phone to agents everyday up til it opens.

11 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

He was getting stick, so gave it back. The fact you still seem rattled by it months later presumably means he achieved what he wanted.

At that match I was in the posh seats right in the middle of the West - i.e. right behind Tommy Wright.

He was getting no stick at all from our fans, which is why his behaviour was so odd.

Was out on the piss yesterday, just watched the match on Teuchter TV. 

An easier 3 points will be hard to find this season - Saints defence is piss poor and the only negative was we allowed them to score at the death.

Good to see Doidge putting the tory farmers to the sword.

We will have a better idea if this team has real guts v Motherwell in a few weeks.

41 minutes ago, Green Day said:

At that match I was in the posh seats right in the middle of the West - i.e. right behind Tommy Wright.

He was getting no stick at all from our fans, which is why his behaviour was so odd.

Was out on the piss yesterday, just watched the match on Teuchter TV. 

An easier 3 points will be hard to find this season - Saints defence is piss poor and the only negative was we allowed them to score at the death.

Good to see Doidge putting the tory farmers to the sword.

We will have a better idea if this team has real guts v Motherwell in a few weeks.

Aye, that's what I was getting at.

I was also in the west stand that day and don't recall anything directed at him.

He seems to be an angry, confrontational man. Much like his wee pal Lenny.

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

Agree with Ali. A good experienced centre back leading us from the back and we are a transformed team in my eyes. 

I worry this is our "striker away from the top six". Still no idea where people are expecting us to find an experienced, affordable, CB in January, with the knowledge that we dont spend transfer fees.

It also ignores how easily this group of players crumble when we concede.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I worry this is our "striker away from the top six". Still no idea where people are expecting us to find an experienced, affordable, CB in January, with the knowledge that we dont spend transfer fees.

It also ignores how easily this group of players crumble when we concede.

Bear in mind we’ve comeback a few times in games so we’re not completely heartless. 

I just think a solid defence would give everyone a lift. Would also mean we could grind out results when we’re struggling for goals.

Have no idea about players available in January, surely there’ll be one or two dissatisfied players out the picture somewhere looking for a short term deal?

Hamilton got Matt Killgallon up here last season. Livingston signed Jon Guthrie this summer. The idea that there won't be a guy in the same boat that Anderson is with us is overly pessimistic. Questioning our ability to identify said player might be more valid but I'm sure every agent in the country knows we are potentially looking for an experienced centre back.

32 minutes ago, Radford said:

Not sure what @RandomGuy. wants folk to say? We get it, you think we are doomed and have no redeeming features. If we get relegated in May, we'll all pat you on the back for telling us about it in November. 

Its just pure frustration towards the people who still constantly suggest we'll be fine etc. 

Pure venting and nothing more.

8 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Have no idea about players available in January, surely there’ll be one or two dissatisfied players out the picture somewhere looking for a short term deal?

I can't even think of any examples. A Kirk Broadfoot figure even would've done.