Falkirk v Airdrie

I agree based on theory, but McShane did McShane things better than Tidser did.... well anything on Saturday. I want Tidser in the team to push up higher and see what he can do in an attacking, and we need that more than we need the neat and tidy of McShane. Maybe Gomis being back allows that in which case fine, but he really needs to show something.

McShane gets far too hard a time from our fans for simply doing what he has done his entire career. Not his fault he isnt what we need IMO.
McShane put in the best cross of the game, for the second goal on Saturday. He'd get the nod from ahead of Tidser and on current form Telfer.

Tidser would only get a game for me if we were 5 v the usual opposition 5 in midfield, playing advanced behind the strikers to play balls through for Sammon and MacMillan to run onto.

3 hours ago, Tory Boy said:

Brockville was one of my favourite away days. Was always a good atmosphere at Falkirk v Airdrie games back in the day. 90mins of exchanging verbals up at the segregation fence. haha

Remember there was a Fear lad who had a cobweb tattoo on his face.

Broomfield was always a good away day with a 5 sided ground in the Luton manner, whereas our new grounds are decent modern day and comfy, they are both not the old grounds by far

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

I agree based on theory, but McShane did McShane things better than Tidser did.... well anything on Saturday. I want Tidser in the team to push up higher and see what he can do in an attacking, and we need that more than we need the neat and tidy of McShane. Maybe Gomis being back allows that in which case fine, but he really needs to show something.

McShane gets far too hard a time from our fans for simply doing what he has done his entire career. Not his fault he isnt what we need IMO.

McShane at least has legs that work, Tidser is all very one paced and I dont think him and Gomis works, same problem up top also in that we havent got a top 2 who seem to have clicked.

For me we really we shouldve been looking at a 3-5-2 as we seem to get at times outnumbered in midfield with our wide players basically being instructed to concentrate mainly on the attacking sense whilst most teams have 5 in midfield, it also couldve gave McKinnon that safe guard/erection that 3-5-2 can be 5-3-2.

40 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

It was Geordie!!

my first ever Falkirk game was 1988 against ST Johnstone at Brockville. Sure we won with Alex Rae scoring. Anyway after the game there was a lot of fighting around Grahamston station between Falkirk and Saints boys.

I was living in Larbert at the time, I would have been 13 years old, so my mate and I were getting the train back to Larbert - same train that goes to Perth.   We were standing in the waiting room at Grahamston when a load of, what I assume were Saints finest "casuals" were  directed into the waiting room by the polis and the turn shut  in with us,  and said polis standing guard at the door not letting anyone out until the train to Perth arrived.    We werent exactly happy about this but obviously with us being kids these casuals werent ars*d about us.   However we listened as they chatted to each other saying things like "should've brought more", and moaning about the police presence.   One of them though started going on about "that mental Falkirk boy with the spider web tattoo on his face" .   So me and my mate got talking on the train home and at school on the Monday, fascinated by this Falkirk guy with a spiders web tattoo.  

After a few games standing in the Hope Street end, we moved into the Choir and we spotted the guy with the spiders web tattoo coming in 5 minutes into the game where he proceeded to go upto the segregation fencing to stare at the oppostion fans for 90 minutes....  not watching any of the game. 

There was always talk that you'd take your life in your hands if you went into that pub in Falkirk on Princes street/Vicar Street(name escapes me) where he supposedly drank?  In later years we used to go to gigs above it at The Happening Club sh*tting ourselves about what was going on downstairs. It probably wasnt that bad?!

anyway - point being I'd totally forgotten about that guy until now..! 

1 hour ago, MrDust said:

Broomfield was always a good away day with a 5 sided ground in the Luton manner, whereas our new grounds are decent modern day and comfy, they are both not the old grounds by far

McShane at least has legs that work, Tidser is all very one paced and I dont think him and Gomis works, same problem up top also in that we havent got a top 2 who seem to have clicked.

For me we really we shouldve been looking at a 3-5-2 as we seem to get at times outnumbered in midfield with our wide players basically being instructed to concentrate mainly on the attacking sense whilst most teams have 5 in midfield, it also couldve gave McKinnon that safe guard/erection that 3-5-2 can be 5-3-2.

my first away game, and first trip on the Elliotts Bus was to Broomfield..loved it!

46 minutes ago, fuzzydunlop said:

my first ever Falkirk game was 1988 against ST Johnstone at Brockville. Sure we won with Alex Rae scoring. Anyway after the game there was a lot of fighting around Grahamston station between Falkirk and Saints boys.

I was living in Larbert at the time, I would have been 13 years old, so my mate and I were getting the train back to Larbert - same train that goes to Perth.   We were standing in the waiting room at Grahamston when a load of, what I assume were Saints finest "casuals" were  directed into the waiting room by the polis and the turn shut  in with us,  and said polis standing guard at the door not letting anyone out until the train to Perth arrived.    We werent exactly happy about this but obviously with us being kids these casuals werent ars*d about us.   However we listened as they chatted to each other saying things like "should've brought more", and moaning about the police presence.   One of them though started going on about "that mental Falkirk boy with the spider web tattoo on his face" .   So me and my mate got talking on the train home and at school on the Monday, fascinated by this Falkirk guy with a spiders web tattoo.  

After a few games standing in the Hope Street end, we moved into the Choir and we spotted the guy with the spiders web tattoo coming in 5 minutes into the game where he proceeded to go upto the segregation fencing to stare at the oppostion fans for 90 minutes....  not watching any of the game. 

There was always talk that you'd take your life in your hands if you went into that pub in Falkirk on Princes street/Vicar Street(name escapes me) where he supposedly drank?  In later years we used to go to gigs above it at The Happening Club sh*tting ourselves about what was going on downstairs. It probably wasnt that bad?!

It would have been the Argyll Bar back then 

49 minutes ago, fuzzydunlop said:

The Argyll. What a place.

It had one pool table but I remember anytime I was in it appeared everyone had a pool cue.

2 hours ago, fuzzydunlop said:

Remember the St Johnstone game. I'm sure the Sunday Mail report ran with the Sting Ray or Sting Rae headline. Quality journalism

4 hours ago, MrDust said:

3 5 2 has been killing us particularly at home unless you have two speedy wingers it becomes too defensive and isolated the two strikers. Is it also in the coaching manual to pull the front players wide our manager persisted with it we were awfull at home look much better playing 4 3 3.

Edited by Eric the half a b

22 minutes ago, Eric the half a b said:

3 5 2 has been killing us particularly at home unless you have two speedy wingers it becomes too defensive and isolated the two strikers. Is it also in the coaching manual to pull the front players wide our manager persisted with it we were awfull at home look much better playing 4 3 3.

You won't have most teams playing 1 up top and 5 in midfield most weeks tho.

We don't have a real option at left wing back for us to go with it.

You do need effective wide players with decent engines on them to make the 3-5-2 to work tho

The balance of our starting 11 is horrific with no real method of how to attack, we will most weeks grind a team down but it won't be pretty

8 hours ago, Tory Boy said:

Brockville was one of my favourite away days. Was always a good atmosphere at Falkirk v Airdrie games back in the day. 90mins of exchanging verbals up at the segregation fence. haha

Remember there was a Fear lad who had a cobweb tattoo on his face.

The "ting, ting, ting" sound of coins hitting the fence and dodging lit fags and double A batteries when there was a goal. Them were't days.

49 minutes ago, MrDust said:

You won't have most teams playing 1 up top and 5 in midfield most weeks tho.

We don't have a real option at left wing back for us to go with it.

You do need effective wide players with decent engines on them to make the 3-5-2 to work tho

The balance of our starting 11 is horrific with no real method of how to attack, we will most weeks grind a team down but it won't be pretty

It's a funny old league this one  did expect a bit more from Falkirk in the first game. I just hope it's a good game and Airdrie don't go back to 3 5 2 as the team has had a much better shape last couple of games.