Queens v Ayr

Didn't think Ayr were as "on top" as others are suggesting at half time. They got better as the 1st half wore on and were knocking it about nicely but at half time I thought the draw as about fair. If anything I thought Ayr's best spell was early in the second half. Our 2nd goal was probably slightly against the run of play. Lovely goal though. In fact all four goals today were superbly crafted.

After we went 2-1 McCrorie made a wonderful save from McCowan but after that Ayr offered little more threat and we looked far more like running away with it. Oliver scored, then missed a far easier chance and then Dobbie should certainly have had a penalty. McCowan's challenge was a shocker. Straight red was inevitable. Need to see the aftermath again but our players were adamant somebody threw an elbow in the melee too.

Good win and crucial in context of the other results. 5 points from the bottom and 5 points from 3rd!

Didn't think Ayr were as "on top" as others are suggesting at half time. They got better as the 1st half wore on and were knocking it about nicely but at half time I thought the draw as about fair. If anything I thought Ayr's best spell was early in the second half. Our 2nd goal was probably slightly against the run of play. Lovely goal though. In fact all four goals today were superbly crafted.
After we went 2-1 McCrorie made a wonderful save from McCowan but after that Ayr offered little more threat and we looked far more like running away with it. Oliver scored, then missed a far easier chance and then Dobbie should certainly have had a penalty. McCowan's challenge was a shocker. Straight red was inevitable. Need to see the aftermath again but our players were adamant somebody threw an elbow in the melee too.
Good win and crucial in context of the other results. 5 points from the bottom and 5 points from 3rd!

Think this is pretty much spot on. Our best spell was end of the first half/beginning of second.

Didn’t notice any kind of elbow within the shoving match.

Just now, No_Problemo said:

Didn’t notice any kind of elbow within the shoving match.

Neither did I to be honest but Robby McCrorie and Lewis Kidd to name but two were clearly complaining to the assistant referee about one in the aftermath. As both clubs provide free highlights I presume we'll see it sooner or later.

Neither did I to be honest but Robby McCrorie and Lewis Kidd to name but two were clearly complaining to the assistant referee about one in the aftermath. As both clubs provide free highlights I presume we'll see it sooner or later.

We can start taking bets.

My money is on Muirhead.

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

That sounds like the second time we’ve lost our heads after being down. McCowan is young but if the tackle is as bad as it sounds then that’s not even an excuse.

We desperately need someone with a bit of experience at the back as well. Hopefully Bell can come back in and another joins in January. At the minute it’s Muirhead that’s organising things and he is a complete idiot.

Think it was the frustration of chucking another game away with defensive howlers.  First half was fairly even but we dominated the first 20 minutes of the 2nd only for Docherty to give the ball away at the 2nd - very similar to Morton’s 2nd goal last week. 

I applaud the quality of football we are playing at times, but we are also terribly guilty of over-playing in bad areas.  Not sure what Harvie and Forrest we’re doing at the third, apart from standing looking at each other.  Maybe it’s just a consequence of having so many youngsters on the park and too many experienced defensive type players sitting in the stand.

3 minutes ago, HMIP said:

Think it was the frustration of chucking another game away with defensive howlers.  First half was fairly even but we dominated the first 20 minutes of the 2nd only for Docherty to give the ball away at the 2nd - very similar to Morton’s 2nd goal last week. 

I applaud the quality of football we are playing at times, but we are also terribly guilty of over-playing in bad areas.  Not sure what Harvie and Forrest we’re doing at the third, apart from standing looking at each other.  Maybe it’s just a consequence of having so many youngsters on the park and too many experienced defensive type players sitting in the stand.

:huh:

After a difficult first half where we struggled to create many chances we really improved dramatically in second half and ran out deserved winners. No coincidence that our improved play coincided with McCarthy’s introduction (he was excellent) and Kidd and Lyon also did very well. Scott Mercer delivered another great performance especially going forward.

Dobbie’s class with three assists made the difference but great to see Connor deliver a MOM performance. He really needs to kick on from here - too good to be a bench warmer but he lost his place for a reason and he needs to make sure that he is one of first names in team sheet.

5 minutes ago, twoclubsoneheart said:

Yeah Bristol Rovers. 

What's the connection, or is it just the work of a particular fan who happens to have an affection for both clubs?  

I'm surprised the goalkeeper isn't actually taking more stick over Oliver's goal. 

Edited by Monkey Tennis

15 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
20 minutes ago, Iain said:
Hopefully it was whoever came up with the defensive gameplan and they're exiled.

Ayr weren't defensive, they just couldn't break down our defence.

I meant the game plan for how to defend this opponent.

Well that's us back down to earth with a rather large bump, take it we were shite today.

When you sit back and think about it we do have a lot of hotheads in our team.

Geggan, Docherty, McCowan, Harvie and Muirhead. 

And that's how suspensions rack up, i mean Geggan had his suspension already today for too many yellow cards and this is just the beginning of November, that's terrible.

If Muirhead is our experienced leader at the back for the rest of the season we're fucked  cause he would have an argument with himself in an empty room.

Doesn't help we've got three weeks now until we can put some wrongs right, against a team who've just gone and beat Inverness 3-0 today i'll add....

4 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

What's the connection, or is it just the work of a particular fan who happens to have an affection for both clubs?  

I'm surprised the goalkeeper isn't actually taking more stick over Oliver's goal. 

So basically Bristol Rovers played Ayr United in a friendly at Somerset in 2003. Obviously over the years we played loads of English teams in friendlies but I liked something about Bristol Rovers. Kept in contact with a few of their fans. They were playing the next month at Carlisle so went to that game. Then the love affair started from there. Get down and watch them as much as possible. Mainly in the North of England. Rather than get a flag for each team, I ended up getting both teams on it. I respect that it might not be for everyone but it definitely stands out and leads to some interestingconversations. Even better when I'm down in England. They love it!

Well that's us back down to earth with a rather large bump, take it we were shite today.
When you sit back and think about it we do have a lot of hotheads in our team.
Geggan, Docherty, McCowan, Harvie and Muirhead. 
And that's how suspensions rack up, i mean Geggan had his suspension already today for too many yellow cards and this is just the beginning of November, that's terrible.
If Muirhead is our experienced leader at the back for the rest of the season we're fucked  cause he would have an argument with himself in an empty room.
Doesn't help we've got three weeks now until we can put some wrongs right, against a team who've just gone and beat Inverness 3-0 today i'll add....

We weren’t shite, no.

Every team in this league are capable of beating each other and Queens looked a decent side today. They put four past Dundee United recently, I imagine their problem like many others is consistency.

We can start taking bets.

My money is on Muirhead.

Yip, how Muirhead stayed on the park is beyond me. Imo Mark Kerr showed his inexperience as a manager by not taking him off! He was guilty of persistent fouling in the first half. You could see the red mist appearing in his eyes when they went behind and his blatant shoving of Dobbie into the boarding behind the goals was thuggish! It’s a shame because he’s actually a decent defender at this level.

I thought Ayr’s young attacker McCowan was easily the games best player before his shocking challenge! Tackle aside, this boy could definitely play at a higher level.

Good 3 points for Queens and Ayr’s miserable record at Palmerston continues. Nice to see Darren Brownlie back as he has become a really important part of Queens defence. Also, thought McCrories save at his right hand post when the score was 2-1 was brilliant. A goal at that time could have changed the game completely!

4 minutes ago, twoclubsoneheart said:

So basically Bristol Rovers played Ayr United in a friendly at Somerset in 2003. Obviously over the years we played loads of English teams in friendlies but I liked something about Bristol Rovers. Kept in contact with a few of their fans. They were playing the next month at Carlisle so went to that game. Then the love affair started from there. Get down and watch them as much as possible. Mainly in the North of England. Rather than get a flag for each team, I ended up getting both teams on it. I respect that it might not be for everyone but it definitely stands out and leads to some interestingconversations. Even better when I'm down in England. They love it!

Fair enough.

Don't really get that myself, but each to their own I suppose.  

Yip, how Muirhead stayed on the park is beyond me. Imo Mark Kerr showed his inexperience as a manager by not taking him off! He was guilty of persistent fouling in the first half. You could see the red mist appearing in his eyes when they went behind and his blatant shoving of Dobbie into the boarding behind the goals was thuggish! It’s a shame because he’s actually a decent defender at this level.

I thought Ayr’s young attacker McCowan was easily the games best player before his shocking challenge! Tackle aside, this boy could definitely play at a higher level.

Good 3 points for Queens and Ayr’s miserable record at Palmerston continues. Nice to see Darren Brownlie back as he has become a really important part of Queens defence. Also, thought McCrories save at his right hand post when the score was 2-1 was brilliant. A goal at that time could have changed the game completely!

Kerr had no option but to leave him on. We had no centre half to sub on.

Agree with the first part. He should have been given a yellow for holding back Oliver in the first half at the half way line that somehow the ref and linesman missed and to add insult to injury Ayr got a FK. He then tripped Kidd before he could go forward which should have been yellow and finally he shoved Dobbie like you said. He seems to be a defender version of Baird where by he spends more time trying to get one over the fans and less time being effective.

Disagree about McCowan though. He wasn't even the best No. 11 on the park today.

After watching a really lacklustre and uninspiring performance v Pars last week, I was wondering which QOS we were in for today. Turned out to be a really good game with both teams getting stuck in. Ayr knocked the ball around better and carried a good attacking threat but maybe the injury to Hamilton - hope it’s not too bad - made our hoof it to target man tactic redundant and eventually we took the lead with a great move ON THE DECK.

Ayr equalised at a good time for them with a well worked goal too. Whipped in cross, perfect header at the back post and Moffat nipped in to blast it in from close range.

Round me we were really concerned when the excellent Dan Pybus was subbed but Mc Carthy did well when he came on. Connor Murray’s goal came at a good time to end a spell of Ayr pressure (!). A class pass from Dobbmeister and dancing feet from Murray.

Oliver’s goal put the tin lid on the improved second half performance. Nice move too. Straight leg late challenge from the Ayr guy was a shocker. At least the ref got that right. Not sure whether he got the Dobbs booking/ pen claim right. Big call. 

I hope we can maintain this sort of performance and go on a wee run in this second quarter. Would like to see some more daylight between us and the drop.

Edited by Tam