Queens v Ayr

Speaking of our run at Palmerston:
The Honest Men are without a win in their last 13 league visits to Palmerston Park, stretching back to August 2002. Mark Campbell and James Grady put United ahead before Steve Bowey made it 2-1 with six minutes to go.

[emoji1][emoji1] This is the only game I've been to at Palmerston. Christ I should go again.

I'm actually surprised to read that. I had in my head we hadn't won there since our stint in Div 2 in the late 90s. If we even won then? [emoji23]

Speaking of our run at Palmerston:
The Honest Men are without a win in their last 13 league visits to Palmerston Park, stretching back to August 2002. Mark Campbell and James Grady put United ahead before Steve Bowey made it 2-1 with six minutes to go.

21 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
22 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:
That's the second time in a week you've claimed that (you claimed 4 in 3 before Saturday). I meant to query it then but didn't have a chance at the time and then forgot. Where are you getting this? He scored at Alloa and 2 against United. That's three when I was at school.

I thought he got 3 against Utd for some reason. 3 in 4 then. Hardly the drought our cheery friend would have you believe, regardless.

It may not be a "drought" but his overall performances are not up to his usual impeccable standard and I'm sure he would be the first to admit that.

Even with Dobbie on a record breaking season we ended up in the relegation playoffs so I think it is completely fair enough to be a bit concerned about both Dobbie's form and the knock-on effect that has to the overall performance of the team.

13 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Never seen us win at Palmerston but this Saturday is the first trip to Dumfries that I’ll be missing since we were both in League 1 together.

Hopefully that counts for something.

6 hours ago, Jeff Venom said:

I'm actually surprised to read that. I had in my head we hadn't won there since our stint in Div 2 in the late 90s. If we even won then? emoji23.png

Between 1978 and 2002 Ayr United visited Palmerston 11 times, winning 9 of them and drawing the other 2. In fact even moving more recent, your following 4 visits saw us win one and there were 3 draws, though you won one of them on penalties.

Since 2009 though you've been down here 10 times resulting in 8 QoS wins and 2 draws.

I'll probably be seen as an idiot here, however Queens are probably the best team I've seen us play this year, despite the 1-0 result at Somerset. Yes, we've been beaten by Dundee, Inverness & Dunfermline, however we missed glorious chances in all these matches and were the better team in most of them but the opposite was the case when we played Queens at Somerset.

Irrespective of their recent inconsistent form or Dobbies relative scoring drought, I don't think any Ayr fan will be overly looking forward to the trip to Palmerston and despite our encouraging recent form there's no getting away from the fact that Palmerston is a major bogey ground for us.

I'll take a 2-2 draw right now and move on, if that's ok ?????

I'll probably be seen as an idiot here, however Queens are probably the best team I've seen us play this year, despite the 1-0 result at Somerset. Yes, we've been beaten by Dundee, Inverness & Dunfermline, however we missed glorious chances in all these matches and were the better team in most of them but the opposite was the case when we played Queens at Somerset.
Irrespective of their recent inconsistent form or Dobbies relative scoring drought, I don't think any Ayr fan will be overly looking forward to the trip to Palmerston and despite our encouraging recent form there's no getting away from the fact that Palmerston is a major bogey ground for us.
I'll take a 2-2 draw right now and move on, if that's ok ?????
I can't comment on how other teams have played against you (obviously) but I don't think it's a stupid comment. The game at Somerset was probably the best I've seen us play apart from the Utd game a few weeks ago. It was just a day where we squandered our chances. On another day we could have walked away with a comfortable victory but blew it.

It has the potential to be a good game on Saturday if both sides attacking players turn up.

4 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I can't comment on how other teams have played against you (obviously) but I don't think it's a stupid comment. The game at Somerset was probably the best I've seen us play apart from the Utd game a few weeks ago. It was just a day where we squandered our chances. On another day we could have walked away with a comfortable victory but blew it.

It has the potential to be a good game on Saturday if both sides attacking players turn up.

As I say, 2-2 or even a 3-3 draw would do me.

There's a few of us coming down who haven't been for a few years so hopefully not another 5-0 drubbing like last year !!

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Yeah this. Other than Dundee Utd, and even in that one United had chances, though we might have had 7 or 8, it was comfortably our best showing of the season. I still have no idea how we didn't win it never mind ended up losing it. Ayr were never in our penalty area of note, scored a worldy from Kelly on a rare break and we scorned several good chances, none more so than when El bakhtaoui and Dobbie were clean through on Doohan and El Bakh shot straight at him rather than square it to Dobbie to tap in!

Optimistic Kerr will concoct a decent game plan for this, at least better than McCall ever did. Still that riddy of a pitch though.

Quietly confident of this one despite our woeful record up there, team in good form and defensively were comfortable against them last time at Somerset.

On 04/11/2019 at 22:29, pandarilla said:

emoji1.pngemoji1.png This is the only game I've been to at Palmerston. Christ I should go again.

🤣

Are you going on Saturday? If not, we'll have a whip round to fund your trip.

I'm not going to make it so that will hopefully bode well. I am convinced I'm the jinx.

Optimistic Kerr will concoct a decent game plan for this, at least better than McCall ever did. Still that riddy of a pitch though.

Quietly confident of this one despite our woeful record up there, team in good form and defensively were comfortable against them last time at Somerset.

Ooft. I'd say nice fishing trip but given some of your previous posts I'm not so sure.

11 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
18 hours ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Ooft. I'd say nice fishing trip but given some of your previous posts I'm bot so sure.

Bit rich coming from you, and there's no fishing from my post anyway. It's a perfectly valid point.

I wouldn’t have said we were comfortable against them but they also weren’t as good as some are making out. The chances they had (Murray’s shot just past the post, Oliver’s shot and Faissal going through on goal) were entirely of our own making.

We were also pretty poor going forward but the front 3 have since gelled really well and adding Moore into the mix has given us another option.

I wouldn’t have said we were comfortable against them but they also weren’t as good as some are making out. The chances they had (Murray’s shot just past the post, Oliver’s shot and Faissal going through on goal) were entirely of our own making.

We were also pretty poor going forward but the front 3 have since gelled really well and adding Moore into the mix has given us another option.
Whether it was your own doing or not, poor finishing is the reason we never won that day. To say it was a comfortable day for Ayr is just stupid. Mentioning the pitch is irrelevant as well as it's awful for both sides. And UpintheAyr's poor geography knowledge has also annoyed me.

Whether it was your own doing or not, poor finishing is the reason we never won that day. To say it was a comfortable day for Ayr is just stupid. Mentioning the pitch is irrelevant as well as it's awful for both sides. And UpintheAyr's poor geography knowledge has also annoyed me.

Doesn’t matter if it’s poor for both teams, we still need to find a way to adapt to it given our style of play probably won’t be suitable.

I don’t disagree with the poor finishing point. My point is that I don’t think either team played well that day and I’ve definitely seen us play far better.