Queens v Ayr

You surely have to concentrate on your own teams successes rather than one man's "failings" though?
You've beaten one of the best Ayr sides there's arguably ever been, can you not just be happy with that?
I have concentrated on our successes. I've only really had a major go at Muirhead after you tried to defend his actions. Best Ayr side or not, Ayr are our bitches at Palmerston so I'm not treating the win like some kind of major achievement ;)

Decent highlights by Ayr. As I thought at the time, Ayr had a lot of the ball in the first without doing much of note. Moffat could have done better with his chance and Moore's chance wasn't as big a fluff up than I thought. He probably did well getting a shot away.

The second half was one way traffic. Ayr having a couple of good crosses and a decent save from McCrorie. Thankfully the ref managed to get the red card decision correct. A horrible challenge. Both sides were as bad as each other in the aftermath and it happens all the time after a rotten challenge. The man to blame was McCowan, no one else IMO. Looked and looked and couldn't see an elbow being thrown. McCarthy walks away rubbing his head but I expect someone has pushed him in the head. Not sure about our penalty claim tbh, not the best angle and the Ayr player looks to be doing his best to get out the way. The shove from Muirhead wasn't exactly brutal but it was needless and should have resulted in a yellow.

Our first goal is great link-up play. Going by what I've seen of him I think he's quite over-rated by Ayr fans but I don't understand how he can be blamed for the first. He's been pegged, it happens. It's a risk 'keepers have for making themselves bigger. I still think there is a hint of offside for the equaliser, Moffat is definitely behind Brownlie but maybe the two around Moore are keeping him on. Given how poor the linesman was on that side, I fully expect he was off. Dobbie and Murray's composure for the second was excellent and an excellent finish. And Dobbie's pass for the 3rd was excellent.

Hopefully our injured guys are back for next week.

It was a bad tackle and a red card but with the reaction on here I was expecting a two-footed lunge straight into the ankles. And then the aftermath is handbags that was initiated by a Queens player.

Also Muirhead’s was needless but I’ve seen opposition defenders do that to many an Ayr player over the years. Think everyone needs to calm the f**k down.

56 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Would have liked to see Dobbies unbelievable bit of skill when he brought down a high ball in front of the main stand second half. Maybe our highlights will include it.

??

If its the incident I am thinking of where the ball was controlled out of the sky right in front of where you sit then it was Connor Murray who controlled it, not Dobbie.

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

Doohan wasn’t remotely at fault for a deflected goal.

I disagree. He should have done better. He gets caught out by the deflection but it happens a reasonable distance away from him. A keeper should be on the bounce ready to react but he gets send the wrong way then just falls on his arse.

I’m not saying he should have 100% saved it but I think he should’ve been in a better position and made a better attempt to get a touch on the ball .

It was a bad tackle and a red card but with the reaction on here I was expecting a two-footed lunge straight into the ankles. And then the aftermath is handbags that was initiated by a Queens player.
Also Muirhead’s was needless but I’ve seen opposition defenders do that to many an Ayr player over the years. Think everyone needs to calm the f**k down.

Those kind of shoves happen all the time. They are completely needless and just get the crowd and players riled up. If the ref books the player doing it, it settles everything down. But too often they let it go.

I disagree. He should have done better. He gets caught out by the deflection but it happens a reasonable distance away from him. A keeper should be on the bounce ready to react but he gets send the wrong way then just falls on his arse.
I’m not saying he should have 100% saved it but I think he should’ve been in a better position and made a better attempt to get a touch on the ball .

I think that's incredibly harsh. He doesn't know the ball has been deflected until he's already commited to diving right. He's on one leg when the ball goes past him, I'm not sure he can do any better there.

Muirhead is obviously a proud Doonhamer. From his red card in the challenge cup final to Dobbie scoring just the 9 goals against Falkirk during his stint there and again yesterday; he has been an asset to us.  Keep up the good work.

Muirhead is obviously a proud Doonhamer. From his red card in the challenge cup final to Dobbie scoring just the 9 goals against Falkirk during his stint there and again yesterday; he has been an asset to us.  Keep up the good work.

Good

You can have him in January.

3 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

The criticism of Muirhead is amusing. Pre match within the dressing room the chat has probably been if we stop Dobbie scoring we stop Queens. He might've  been charged with personally stopping him having the freedom of Dumfries. That's what happens when you're the opposition's standout player.

This slamming him into the advertising boards talk is silly. Not nearly as bad as folk are making out. Dobbies been rattled into getting a card for dissent during the game, the tactics to that extent worked.

Oh Sweet Jesus.

That is magnificently stupid - hats off.

Its author is either a comic genius or an absolute walloper.  I know which one my money's on, but who knows?

I wonder if Billy Kirkwood, the Rangers Loans Manager was there to see 3 of his young players in action? Stephen Kelly showed some neat touches in the first half but faded out the game in the second half. Jordan Houston was competent but didn’t get forward as much as I was expecting. Robbie McCrorie has been an excellent piece of business by Queens, a massive improvement on Alan Martin. Our defensive record this season tells its own story and having him in goals must breed confidence to the players in front of him. Didn’t have a great deal to do yesterday but looks very confident and not afraid to come for crosses which was one of Alan Martin’s failings.

Pretty sure this lad will eventually succeed Alan McGregor as Rangers No 1 and be a regular in the full Scotland International set up as well.

I have concentrated on our successes. I've only really had a major go at Muirhead after you tried to defend his actions. Best Ayr side or not, Ayr are our bitches at Palmerston so I'm not treating the win like some kind of major achievement default_wink.png

Decent highlights by Ayr. As I thought at the time, Ayr had a lot of the ball in the first without doing much of note. Moffat could have done better with his chance and Moore's chance wasn't as big a fluff up than I thought. He probably did well getting a shot away.

The second half was one way traffic. Ayr having a couple of good crosses and a decent save from McCrorie. Thankfully the ref managed to get the red card decision correct. A horrible challenge. Both sides were as bad as each other in the aftermath and it happens all the time after a rotten challenge. The man to blame was McCowan, no one else IMO. Looked and looked and couldn't see an elbow being thrown. McCarthy walks away rubbing his head but I expect someone has pushed him in the head. Not sure about our penalty claim tbh, not the best angle and the Ayr player looks to be doing his best to get out the way. The shove from Muirhead wasn't exactly brutal but it was needless and should have resulted in a yellow.

Our first goal is great link-up play. Going by what I've seen of him I think he's quite over-rated by Ayr fans but I don't understand how he can be blamed for the first. He's been pegged, it happens. It's a risk 'keepers have for making themselves bigger. I still think there is a hint of offside for the equaliser, Moffat is definitely behind Brownlie but maybe the two around Moore are keeping him on. Given how poor the linesman was on that side, I fully expect he was off. Dobbie and Murray's composure for the second was excellent and an excellent finish. And Dobbie's pass for the 3rd was excellent.

Hopefully our injured guys are back for next week.

Think this is a fair summary!

The criticism of Muirhead is amusing. Pre match within the dressing room the chat has probably been if we stop Dobbie scoring we stop Queens. He might've  been charged with personally stopping him having the freedom of Dumfries. That's what happens when you're the opposition's standout player.
This slamming him into the advertising boards talk is silly. Not nearly as bad as folk are making out. Dobbies been rattled into getting a card for dissent during the game, the tactics to that extent worked.
Yes Muirheads followed Dobbie out for the second goal and along with Kelly failed to stop the pass, but Murray's ran into the box between and alongside Roscoe and Houston, he shouldn't have time to create some space and eventually take the shot. I'd be more critical of the latter two on that goal.
Worryingly full back areas have seen us exposed by a quick switch in play for the first goal and also the build up to the third goal.
For the McCowan "dance around the handbags incident" after the tackle two Queens players have ran towards McCowan, with one forcibly shoving him, are the Ayr players supposed to just stand back and not get involved? If there is a criticism of players running to get involved, lets not miss the Queens players part by first getting involved and causing the incident.
Its looks a bad tackle but there's no need for the opposition to get involved.
The talk about a lack of leaders worries me greatly. Leadership isn't necessarily a bi product of experience either. Kelly, Doohan or Houston could easily show leadership on and off the pitch, despite them being in the infancy of their careers. Its about making setting examples, making the right decisions and too many decisions in the second half were wrong.
It could be that quite a few are in need of a bit of respite and this accounted for the flat showing in second half.
Its a defeat at Dumfries, we move on to other challenges, with hopefully a few home truths ringing in the ears of a few.

Just a couple of things.

Asking a player to nullify a threat on the other team doesn’t mean doing what Muirhead did and leave large gaps of space whilst you toddle out of position to get near a player. Dobbie isn’t a player that you can physically bully and he’ll be quiet for the 90 minutes. And simply pushing a player about hoping he gets booked for dissent isn’t a tactic, it’s stupidity and there’s no way Kerr asked Muirhead to do that yesterday.

In terms of leaders it’s a very tall order to expect Kelly and Houston, who are in their first year of senior competitive football to step up and lead that team. They’re going to mistakes and will sometimes need a teammate to help them through games. I don’t see anyone in that team yesterday that can do that.

Firstly best team won no doubt about that but I’m adding the following

The pitch is s—— lost count now many times teams from both players lost control with basic balls, and in fact resulted in your number 9 going over on his ankle in front of me early in the game, wish he hadn’t as wee Oliver came on and had a great game for them annoyed the shit of our back four especially believe it or not with high balls continually backing in to who ever he came across really wound up our two central defenders.

Our keeper not for the first time  I count four games on the trot now is losing poor goals, and we have to score two to win games not good. ( Mcrorie well ahead of him really filling out now)

Neither of them have any chance of playing for the old firm in my opinion

Dobis not really playing that well but still different class with his distribution and it showed today

If we are touting Mccowan for big things even though he has no right foot,  so should Queens be with young Murray wanted us to sign him in the summer top prospect

Stone wall sending off  not like Mccowan think having a poor  game and frustration contributed, although Oliver sprinting away ten seconds after it didn’t go down well

And yes we are Queens bitches at Palmerston  doesn’t matter what team we take there they pump

Just hate watching football on plastic.

13 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

On again to a PTTGOYN,  I still don't understand Johnston's persistence in using the tactic at our kick- offs of punting the ball into touch, not intentionally into touch I know  but that's where it generally ends up.  We should try and keep possession for a few passes instead of giving it away so cheaply. A small irritation which I can live with if we manage an outcome like today's. 

Fair point but  I take it you have seen the second of Alloa’s two goals in a minute spree v us recently.

Straight from the coaching manual. Look up “How  not to take a restart by fannying around near your goal.”

5 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

You stop good players scoring you have a better chance of winning the game. I take it you dont agree then? Shankland will face it week in week out at our level. Its upto the rest of the team to track runners and do their jobs and that was our main downfall yesterday.

Assuming that was even mentioned yesterday.

Dobbie was indeed marked out of the game by Pars the week before. Two defenders, occasionally three, crowding him out. He was eventually booked for a poor defensive tackle 10 mins from the end. Job done.

You are right. It’s suicide when the opposition stand back and admire a talented player. At the risk of opening a wound, that’s what happened when Ayr had their first visit last season. Shankland was tightly marked while Harkins was given five yards of space to ping passes around.  I couldn’t believe it at the time. 4-0 by HT including a penalty save.

16 minutes ago, Tam said:

Fair point but  I take it you have seen the second of Alloa’s two goals in a minute spree v us recently.

Straight from the coaching manual. Look up “How  not to take a restart by fannying around near your goal.”

Yes, I agree with his point, but the second Alloa goal went right through my head when I read the post too.

Firstly best team won no doubt about that but I’m adding the following
The pitch is s—— lost count now many times teams from both players lost control with basic balls, and in fact resulted in your number 9 going over on his ankle in front of me early in the game, wish he hadn’t as wee Oliver came on and had a great game for them annoyed the shit of our back four especially believe it or not with high balls continually backing in to who ever he came across really wound up our two central defenders.
Our keeper not for the first time  I count four games on the trot now is losing poor goals, and we have to score two to win games not good. ( Mcrorie well ahead of him really filling out now)
Neither of them have any chance of playing for the old firm in my opinion
Dobis not really playing that well but still different class with his distribution and it showed today
If we are touting Mccowan for big things even though he has no right foot,  so should Queens be with young Murray wanted us to sign him in the summer top prospect
Stone wall sending off  not like Mccowan think having a poor  game and frustration contributed, although Oliver sprinting away ten seconds after it didn’t go down well
And yes we are Queens bitches at Palmerston  doesn’t matter what team we take there they pump
Just hate watching football on plastic.

The pitch is awful. But as was being discussed earlier in the thread, it's the same for both sides and our players struggle on it just as much as the opposition. If it was garbage but we adapted to it I'd be smug about it but the fact is it definitely hinders us more than helps us so it really is tiresome when opposition fans go on about it as if it's only their side suffering.

McCrorie will either be a regular for The Rangers or a decent sized club down south will snap him up. I'm sure of that. You didn't really get to see how good he was yesterday [emoji14]

As for Oliver jogging away after the horrible foul. I'm not sure what else you wanted him to do? He either jogs away from a challenge like that or is stretchered off.