Queens v Ayr

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

For their second though Muirhead gets dragged out trying to get Dobbie and lets Murray in behind him. Not good enough. He just goes downhill from there. Shoving Dobbie into the wall, tripping him up (stonewaller btw) in the box and then getting involved with McCarthy at the McCowan incident.

Also see Muirhead put his hand round the throat of a Queens player in the scuffle at the McCowan challenge so lucky not to see red too. He must have sprinted about 30 yards to just inolve himself in the situation, him along with Harvie sprinting to get involved can be loose cannons when they get wound up.

Mark Kerr mentioned in his interview about players losing their discipline by going 20 yards out of position just to get after a player, obvious now that it was Muirhead he was talking about.

Docherty being the captain didn't exactly set a fine example considering he started the whole commotion from the McCowan challenge.

Also see Muirhead put his hand round the throat of a Queens player in the scuffle at the McCowan challenge so lucky not to see red too. He must have sprinted about 30 yards to just inolve himself in the situation, him along with Harvie sprinting to get involved can be loose cannons when they get wound up.
Mark Kerr mentioned in his interview about players losing their discipline by going 20 yards out of position just to get after a player, obvious now that it was Muirhead he was talking about.
Docherty being the captain didn't exactly set a fine example considering he started the whole commotion from the McCowan challenge.

There’s a read lack of leadership right now. Kerr, Adams and Bell are the ones that I think of as our most senior players. None of them are fit to play, in fact 2 of them probably won’t play for us again.

We’ve got 3 talented but young defenders playing right now and they’re relying on Muirhead to set an example and him spending the game running after Dobbie to lay one on him isn’t setting a great example.

It remains to be seen how much room for manoeuvre we’ve got in January but we need a bit of leadership in defence and midfield and also another option up front.

Just seen the highlights. I watched the Ayr goal several times as I thought there was a hint of offside, when it was headed back across goal I thought Moffat had drifted just ahead of Kilday, it was hard to tell. 
I thought McCowan was one of Ayr’s better players, not sure why he lost it, it’s not as if the ball was in a dangerous position.

I was pleased with both Lyon and McCarthy, they’ve waited a long time and both played well.

Our defenders defend well, but when they ball comes to them they invariably just hit it backdown the pitch, and we have to defend again. Holt is the only one who will try to control it and play an intelligent ball forward. There are times when safety first is best, but we concede a lot of possession this way.

Good result, especially given the other results.

Johnston touched on it in his post match interview, but I think the most encouraging thing about yesterday was how well our ‘fringe’ players played. Like Ayr by the sound of things, our squad is light in numbers but there is real competition for places when all our players are fit (which will probably be never going by our growing injury list).

Lyon played really well in the middle of the park, competed for everything and thought over the piece we won the midfield battle. McCarthy helped in that, thought he showed a lot of composure on the ball when he came on which we desperately need. Oliver shows ridiculous upper body strength for somebody so small in stature, him and Dobbie linked up really well in the second half especially.

As already said, Murray was the best of the lot though. His form did dip, but that performance has given Johnston a bit of a selection headache should Faiss be fit for next week. Think it is a bit bold to go with both Murray and Faiss on both wings and think we have seen the benefit of somebody like Pybus playing on the right and helping out the centre of the park. Might have no choice with injuries, but wouldn’t be surprised if the team that started the second half is the team that starts next week.

9 hours ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

He’s just not a very good footballer

This.

9 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

He’s just a fud mate.

Definitely this.

9 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

No chip on his shoulder.

But not this.  He undeniably has a major issue with Queen of the South to the extent where he becomes a complete liability every time he plays us.  One day he'll achieve his ultimate goal of seriously injuring one of our players, but until then all his big baby act has achieved is to give us a massive advantage in every match we play against him.

Its a defeat at Queens, lets not burn the team, Muirhead in particular, at a dawn sacrifice.

I'll say for definite that Doohan will be disappointed with the first goal. He shouldn't be getting beat like that from that angle. How the Queens player has that much time and space has also heavily contributed to the goal.

From the highlights in the second half we've been guilty of failing to track runners and generally getting close enough to lay a glove on the opposition. Players just arriving too late to make block as a pass is made, it's an attitude thing, too many it would appear switched off at vital times.

Forrest' s attempt at closing down the cross for their third goal, case in point, he's actually half turned his back to block the cross. Kelly just arriving half a yard late to properly block the shot.

The criticism of Muirhead is amusing. Pre match within the dressing room the chat has probably been if we stop Dobbie scoring we stop Queens. He might've  been charged with personally stopping him having the freedom of Dumfries. That's what happens when you're the opposition's standout player.

This slamming him into the advertising boards talk is silly. Not nearly as bad as folk are making out. Dobbies been rattled into getting a card for dissent during the game, the tactics to that extent worked.

Yes Muirheads followed Dobbie out for the second goal and along with Kelly failed to stop the pass, but Murray's ran into the box between and alongside Roscoe and Houston, he shouldn't have time to create some space and eventually take the shot. I'd be more critical of the latter two on that goal.

Worryingly full back areas have seen us exposed by a quick switch in play for the first goal and also the build up to the third goal.

For the McCowan "dance around the handbags incident" after the tackle two Queens players have ran towards McCowan, with one forcibly shoving him, are the Ayr players supposed to just stand back and not get involved? If there is a criticism of players running to get involved, lets not miss the Queens players part by first getting involved and causing the incident.

Its looks a bad tackle but there's no need for the opposition to get involved.

The talk about a lack of leaders worries me greatly. Leadership isn't necessarily a bi product of experience either. Kelly, Doohan or Houston could easily show leadership on and off the pitch, despite them being in the infancy of their careers. Its about making setting examples, making the right decisions and too many decisions in the second half were wrong.

It could be that quite a few are in need of a bit of respite and this accounted for the flat showing in second half.

Its a defeat at Dumfries, we move on to other challenges, with hopefully a few home truths ringing in the ears of a few.

1 minute ago, palmy_cammy said:

Yep those tactics to nulify Dobbie sure did work a treat.  Just the three assists and a stonewall penalty for Dobbs yesterday.  Thank goodness Muirhead was there to stop him having the freedom of Dumfries.

“Right lads, I want one of you to bring down Dobbie in the box because he might get booked for protesting”.

1 minute ago, palmy_cammy said:

Yep those tactics to nulify Dobbie sure did work a treat.  Just the three assists and a stonewall penalty for Dobbs yesterday.  Thank goodness Muirhead was there to stop him having the freedom of Dumfries.

You stop good players scoring you have a better chance of winning the game. I take it you dont agree then? Shankland will face it week in week out at our level. Its upto the rest of the team to track runners and do their jobs and that was our main downfall yesterday.

Assuming that was even mentioned yesterday.

Can’t really have any complaints. We were poor defensively and tried to over complicate things going forward.

Actually think we’re missing the creativity of Kerr in the middle of the park as much as anything else.

Doohan was culpable for two of the goals, sure the 3rd took a slight deflection but he should really be doing better there. The first goal too was poor from him, shouldn’t be getting megged.

He’s not been at his best for the last few weeks but that being said I probably wouldn’t swap him for anyone else in this league. He’s a young lad so is going to have dips.

Doohan wasn’t remotely at fault for a deflected goal.

I would expect our captain to support one of our young players when two Queens players went after him tbh.

Also some hilarious overreactions to Muirhead’s “shove” of Dobbie into the advertising. It was a nudge. Dobbie should have been booked far earlier for his persistent moaning.

1 minute ago, BukyOHare said:

You stop good players scoring you have a better chance of winning the game. I take it you dont agree then? Shankland will face it week in week out at our level. Its upto the rest of the team to track runners and do their jobs and that was our main downfall yesterday.

Assuming that was even mentioned yesterday.

I get what you're trying to say but it isn't based on any sort of reality of what happened yesterday.  Muirhead behaving like an arse was entirely due to him being an arse, not some tactical ploy from your arse of a manager.

The Muirhead sideshow started with him putting Gary Oliver in a headlock and ended with him being booked for a scuffle with Andy McCarthy.  He wasn't specifically targetting Dobbie, he was letting anyone in a Queens shirt rattle him as he does every time he plays us.

45 minutes ago, JK_Queens said:

Johnston touched on it in his post match interview, but I think the most encouraging thing about yesterday was how well our ‘fringe’ players played. Like Ayr by the sound of things, our squad is light in numbers but there is real competition for places when all our players are fit (which will probably be never going by our growing injury list).

Lyon played really well in the middle of the park, competed for everything and thought over the piece we won the midfield battle. McCarthy helped in that, thought he showed a lot of composure on the ball when he came on which we desperately need. Oliver shows ridiculous upper body strength for somebody so small in stature, him and Dobbie linked up really well in the second half especially.

As already said, Murray was the best of the lot though. His form did dip, but that performance has given Johnston a bit of a selection headache should Faiss be fit for next week. Think it is a bit bold to go with both Murray and Faiss on both wings and think we have seen the benefit of somebody like Pybus playing on the right and helping out the centre of the park. Might have no choice with injuries, but wouldn’t be surprised if the team that started the second half is the team that starts next week.

Excellent first post .

7 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

I get what you're trying to say but it isn't based on any sort of reality of what happened yesterday.  Muirhead behaving like an arse was entirely due to him being an arse, not some tactical ploy from your arse of a manager.

The Muirhead sideshow started with him putting Gary Oliver in a headlock and ended with him being booked for a scuffle with Andy McCarthy.  He wasn't specifically targetting Dobbie, he was letting anyone in a Queens shirt rattle him as he does every time he plays us.

Fair enough.

34 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Its a defeat at Queens, lets not burn the team, Muirhead in particular, at a dawn sacrifice.

I'll say for definite that Doohan will be disappointed with the first goal. He shouldn't be getting beat like that from that angle. How the Queens player has that much time and space has also heavily contributed to the goal.

From the highlights in the second half we've been guilty of failing to track runners and generally getting close enough to lay a glove on the opposition. Players just arriving too late to make block as a pass is made, it's an attitude thing, too many it would appear switched off at vital times.

Forrest' s attempt at closing down the cross for their third goal, case in point, he's actually half turned his back to block the cross. Kelly just arriving half a yard late to properly block the shot.

The criticism of Muirhead is amusing. Pre match within the dressing room the chat has probably been if we stop Dobbie scoring we stop Queens. He might've  been charged with personally stopping him having the freedom of Dumfries. That's what happens when you're the opposition's standout player.

This slamming him into the advertising boards talk is silly. Not nearly as bad as folk are making out. Dobbies been rattled into getting a card for dissent during the game, the tactics to that extent worked.

Yes Muirheads followed Dobbie out for the second goal and along with Kelly failed to stop the pass, but Murray's ran into the box between and alongside Roscoe and Houston, he shouldn't have time to create some space and eventually take the shot. I'd be more critical of the latter two on that goal.

Worryingly full back areas have seen us exposed by a quick switch in play for the first goal and also the build up to the third goal.

For the McCowan "dance around the handbags incident" after the tackle two Queens players have ran towards McCowan, with one forcibly shoving him, are the Ayr players supposed to just stand back and not get involved? If there is a criticism of players running to get involved, lets not miss the Queens players part by first getting involved and causing the incident.

Its looks a bad tackle but there's no need for the opposition to get involved.

The talk about a lack of leaders worries me greatly. Leadership isn't necessarily a bi product of experience either. Kelly, Doohan or Houston could easily show leadership on and off the pitch, despite them being in the infancy of their careers. Its about making setting examples, making the right decisions and too many decisions in the second half were wrong.

It could be that quite a few are in need of a bit of respite and this accounted for the flat showing in second half.

Its a defeat at Dumfries, we move on to other challenges, with hopefully a few home truths ringing in the ears of a few.

Good grief!

56 minutes ago, QOSQOS said:

Just seen the highlights. I watched the Ayr goal several times as I thought there was a hint of offside, when it was headed back across goal I thought Moffat had drifted just ahead of Kilday, it was hard to tell. 
I thought McCowan was one of Ayr’s better players, not sure why he lost it, it’s not as if the ball was in a dangerous position.

I was pleased with both Lyon and McCarthy, they’ve waited a long time and both played well.

Our defenders defend well, but when they ball comes to them they invariably just hit it backdown the pitch, and we have to defend again. Holt is the only one who will try to control it and play an intelligent ball forward. There are times when safety first is best, but we concede a lot of possession this way.

Good result, especially given the other results.

Looked to be level with Brownlie.

I didnt realise at the time but that was some finish from Murray. From my angle it almost looked like he'd mis-hit it, but he clearly didnt! Some really nice play and pieces of skill for all three goals. Would have liked to see Dobbies unbelievable bit of skill when he brought down a high ball in front of the main stand second half. Maybe our highlights will include it.

Cant believe Ayr fans are trying to defend Muirhead. It doesnt matter how much force he used, he clearly pushes Dobbie into the hoardings, after both the ball is out of play and the players are off the pitch. Its the kind of thing only moronic players do, which is why Dobbie reacted like that. 

Pretty clear red card and a stonewall penalty missed. 

Far be it for me to get in the way of the Muirhead crusade but it would appear it's not just the Queens players that he winds up.
Chill out, it's an overpriced game of average football in the backwaters of Northern Europe.
If his intention is to wind up our players then much like his defending he failed spectacularly. The only one rattled yesterday was Muirhead himself. A competent referee would have sent him off yesterday.

5 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
13 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:
Far be it for me to get in the way of the Muirhead crusade but it would appear it's not just the Queens players that he winds up.
Chill out, it's an overpriced game of average football in the backwaters of Northern Europe.

If his intention is to wind up our players then much like his defending he failed spectacularly. The only one rattled yesterday was Muirhead himself. A competent referee would have sent him off yesterday.

You surely have to concentrate on your own teams successes rather than one man's "failings" though?

You've beaten one of the best Ayr sides there's arguably ever been, can you not just be happy with that?

19 minutes ago, Mr X said:

...Stonewall penalty missed. 

Just watched the highlights as wasn't at the game. Maybe not the best angle but its hard to see any definite contact. Not sure you could call it a stonewaller from that but maybe more obvious from the Portland Road angle.

Edited by steakpiegravy
spelling