Queens v Ayr

Whether it was your own doing or not, poor finishing is the reason we never won that day. To say it was a comfortable day for Ayr is just stupid. Mentioning the pitch is irrelevant as well as it's awful for both sides. And UpintheAyr's poor geography knowledge has also annoyed me.

Said the defence were comfortable. It's your pitch, you play on it more than us, not irrelevant. Down there. 1 out of 3[emoji106]

Doesn’t matter if it’s poor for both teams, we still need to find a way to adapt to it given our style of play probably won’t be suitable.

I don’t disagree with the poor finishing point. My point is that I don’t think either team played well that day and I’ve definitely seen us play far better.

Said the defence were comfortable. It's your pitch, you play on it more than us, not irrelevant. Down there. 1 out of 3[emoji106]

Which they weren't.

We play on it more but it gives us absolutely no advantage so yes, it is irrelevant as it's exactly the same for both sides.

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

I wouldn’t have said we were comfortable against them but they also weren’t as good as some are making out. The chances they had (Murray’s shot just past the post, Oliver’s shot and Faissal going through on goal) were entirely of our own making.

We were also pretty poor going forward but the front 3 have since gelled really well and adding Moore into the mix has given us another option.

We played well, certainly first half, less so second half. However, how we played is pretty irrelevant. The fact is we missed enough good chances to win at least two games. Regardless of whether you presented them to us or we earned them it could by no stretch of anybody's imagination realistically be called "comfortable". Except 'UpintheAyr' apparently.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

I don’t think many are arguing Ayr weren’t at their best and Queen of the South can think themselves unlucky not to take something from our last match at Somerset. Enough chances to win at least 2 matches though??? Come on, that was hardly the case. I’ve just rewatched the highlights and had a look at the BBC stats. According to them you had three shots on target to Ayr’s four.

I don’t think many are arguing Ayr weren’t at their best and Queen of the South can think themselves unlucky not to take something from our last match at Somerset. Enough chances to win at least 2 matches though??? Come on, that was hardly the case. I’ve just rewatched the highlights and had a look at the BBC stats. According to them you had three shots on target to Ayr’s four.

By QOTS standards they maybe had enough to win 2 games.

It's all about opinions and of course the final result is all that matters, but again I'll go on record and state that based upon all our matches this season which I've attended (that's all of them apart from Dundee at Dens), that Queens have looked to me to be the best side that Ayr have faced but obviously that doesn't exactly play out with the league standings.

Tactics change for each match and teams / players can have off days or can play better against certain opposition, however there's no exact science to it all, so I suppose it's really pretty pointless arguing about it as we all see the game differently and ultimately it's only results that count.

I'm still happy to take that draw on Saturday............

32 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

It's all about opinions and of course the final result is all that matters, but again I'll go on record and state that based upon all our matches this season which I've attended (that's all of them apart from Dundee at Dens), that Queens have looked to me to be the best side that Ayr have faced but obviously that doesn't exactly play out with the league standings.

Tactics change for each match and teams / players can have off days or can play better against certain opposition, however there's no exact science to it all, so I suppose it's really pretty pointless arguing about it as we all see the game differently and ultimately it's only results that count.

I'm still happy to take that draw on Saturday............

Nah, with the two Dundee clubs playing each other tomorrow it’s a massive chance to close the gap on Dundee United or pull further ahead of Dundee. Need to be winning. 

I'm afraid I don't share the same sense of injustice as some of my fellow Doonhamers.  If ever a game deserved to finish 0-0 it was that last one at Somerset.  It was a terrible game in which basically nothing of note happened.  I do remember being hugely frustrated at the end about losing, but this was as much to do with us not taking advantage of an under-par Ayr than anything else.  I'm sure I said at the time there was only one bit of quality in the entire game which was the goal, so from that perspective the right team won.

Onto Saturday, I'm not hugely confident but that is a position I'm comfortable with as the alternative usually ends up leading to disappointment.  Most games between these sides seem to end up pretty turgid affairs so it would be good to have Brownlie back to shore up the defence.  I heard Johnston rattling off the cliche of "the first goal being important in this division" despite the fact we scored the first two goals against Alloa and still ended up drawing.  What is probably more important is we get back to the defensive solidity of the start of the season.  If we can keep them out at that end we give ourselves a chance with Dobbie doing the business at the other end.

15 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

I'm afraid I don't share the same sense of injustice as some of my fellow Doonhamers.  If ever a game deserved to finish 0-0 it was that last one at Somerset.  It was a terrible game in which basically nothing of note happened.  I do remember being hugely frustrated at the end about losing, but this was as much to do with us not taking advantage of an under-par Ayr than anything else.  I'm sure I said at the time there was only one bit of quality in the entire game which was the goal, so from that perspective the right team won.

Onto Saturday, I'm not hugely confident but that is a position I'm comfortable with as the alternative usually ends up leading to disappointment.  Most games between these sides seem to end up pretty turgid affairs so it would be good to have Brownlie back to shore up the defence.  I heard Johnston rattling off the cliche of "the first goal being important in this division" despite the fact we scored the first two goals against Alloa and still ended up drawing.  What is probably more important is we get back to the defensive solidity of the start of the season.  If we can keep them out at that end we give ourselves a chance with Dobbie doing the business at the other end.

We've generally been scoring 3 or 4 in each match so I don't think any of our side pretty much care if we go one behind as they always expect they'll be scoring a few in reply.

It doesn't ALWAYS work like that right enough.................

Don't argue with 19QOS19 he'll use words like moronic and tell you you're completely wrong 
Then say its a forum for different opinions 
Basically up himself clown
On the game I expect Ayr to be ripped apart like a cheap dufc
Has a go at someone for calling others "moronic" then calls someone a clown.

Moron found.

Remind me? Did we win the game at Somerset?
By the way Queens fans are going on you'd have thought they had won it multiple times over! 
We won you didn't get over it. 

Good for you. I'm not sure what any of that has to do with the discussion in hand though.

14 hours ago, WATTOO said:

We've generally been scoring 3 or 4 in each match so I don't think any of our side pretty much care if we go one behind as they always expect they'll be scoring a few in reply.

It doesn't ALWAYS work like that right enough.................

You average just over 2 goals a game

This fixture is reminding me of our first trip down to Palmerston last season. We were playing really well, but then we got royally pumped. Differences though, we're not just a one man band going forward this season so if one of our front men has an off day, luckily there are 3 more to contribute!

We're so overdue a win down there, so I'm going for a wildly optimistic repeat of Saturday's scoreline, 4-1 Ayr. Forrest anytime, Dobbie to score a consolation. pitch-invader-trip-penalty-queen-of-the-south.jpeg