Christmas '19

Cerberus

9 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Love a good mince pie with a bottle of port.  

If you drank a bottle of port it would hardly matter whether it was a good mince pie or not...

Imagine not liking Christmas. Fortnight off work, 14 days of Sunday style drinking where you can walk into busy boozers any time of the day or night. Plenty live sport, cheese, chocolate absolute scenes.
The day itself is a pain right enough.
There is plenty to love about Christmas. The one thing that fucks it up is people. There is absolutely no reason for it to be as busy and stressful as it is yet for normal people like me, it becomes a pain in the arse as roasters start carrying on like the shops might never open again. Thats the worst thing about it. The antics of people in shops.

4 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Absolutely. Would have been just as well eating a Scotch Pie.

What kind of pies are commonly eaten in NI?

At Christmas? Mince pies.

If you mean in general a lot of butchers make their own pies and then you get the factory produced ones, no such thing as a Scotch pie - Iceland have been selling Bells Scotch Pies lately but when I was in on Friday there were none left, planning an expedition next week when I hope and pray they had just run out and not discontinued - I still miss Scotch pies after 46 years. And butteries, of course.

55 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

At Christmas? Mince pies.

If you mean in general a lot of butchers make their own pies and then you get the factory produced ones, no such thing as a Scotch pie - Iceland have been selling Bells Scotch Pies lately but when I was in on Friday there were none left, planning an expedition next week when I hope and pray they had just run out and not discontinued - I still miss Scotch pies after 46 years. And butteries, of course.

Mince pies at Christmas. Is that something to do with retaining your British identity?

Bells Scotch Pies are excellent - and fortunately available in Iceland here too. 

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:
1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:
Imagine not liking Christmas. Fortnight off work, 14 days of Sunday style drinking where you can walk into busy boozers any time of the day or night. Plenty live sport, cheese, chocolate absolute scenes.
The day itself is a pain right enough.

There is plenty to love about Christmas. The one thing that fucks it up is people. There is absolutely no reason for it to be as busy and stressful as it is yet for normal people like me, it becomes a pain in the arse as roasters start carrying on like the shops might never open again. Thats the worst thing about it. The antics of people in shops.

These two posts sum up my feelings about Christmas.

We went away for 2 weeks over Christmas and New Year for our honeymoon a couple of years back, having never been on holiday at this time of year before. Not only did we enjoy all the benefits mentioned by invergowrie arab, and avoid the pitfalls described by Bairnardo, but this was occurring somewhere significantly warmer than Fife in December.

Last year spending Christmas at home pretty much confirmed that we'd be buggering off again this time, so looking forward to that.

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:
50 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:
It's the only time I eat mince pies, tbh.
To the best of my knowledge they are consumed across the sectarian divide.

They aren't exactly a rare delicacy in Scotland either.

Tell that to ICTJohnboy, he seems to think they're a colonial imposition.

18 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Quite interesting read here on the history of mince pies. I was aware that Scotch Pies, in years gone by were once made mainly from mutton but had no idea that Christmas mince pies also once contained mutton.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mince_pie

I knew the Catholics would be involved somehow.

13 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The people of Accrington will be jealously eyeing up John Boy's Christmas feast.

original_scotch-pie-kit-12-standard-trad

Nmmmmmmm ..... Just add some copious amounts of brown sauce.

Followed by some of this  :cake

And then washed down by several pints of this.   :guinness

Happy Christmas   :)