Christmas '19

Cerberus

Christmas Day lost a lot of its appeal a good 15 years or so ago when I could afford to buy stuff for myself throughout the year. I also can't be doing with madness that is people Christmas shopping. Thank, er, Christ for Amazon Prime.

I do enjoy the less commercial aspects of Christmas, though. I'm not exactly religious but there's something quite enjoyable about traditional carols, especially the service at King's College Cambridge (the live one on Radio 4 on Christmas Eve).

Christmas Day lost a lot of its appeal a good 15 years or so ago when I could afford to buy stuff for myself throughout the year. I also can't be doing with madness that is people Christmas shopping. Thank, er, Christ for Amazon Prime.
I do enjoy the less commercial aspects of Christmas, though. I'm not exactly religious but there's something quite enjoyable about traditional carols, especially the service at King's College Cambridge (the live one on Radio 4 on Christmas Eve).
Despite being an atheist, I sometimes go to one of the Christmas Eve midnight services. A few pints in the pub followed by belting out the Christmas classics.

On 03/11/2019 at 18:09, Bairnardo said:

Mince pies are fucking disgusting.

Anyway, what do folk get for their Christmas? I am getting usual hounding from Mrs B and soon will have to pick something to the value of £100 for the rest of my family to get me. No one will accept no for an answer.

Kick her in the (mince) pie.

1 hour ago, The Master said:

Correct.

20 minutes ago, Ross. said:

They've just put up the christmas tree and switched on the lights at the shopping centre across from my work. They can get in the fucking bin.

Incorrect.

Wee guys going round the city centre pubs selling the Sporting Post on a Saturday night.  Perfect start to the evening's festivities - beats Jeff and the guys in the studio hands down.  Bring it back and doon with Sky Sports.

Bring back the Pink Times.

No, not that one. The Saturday evening version of the Evening Times with all the days results.

Christmas is great and the older I get, the more inclined I am to sit in a haze of drunken nostalgia listening to choirs singing carols.

7 minutes ago, Jumbo Muir said:

Bring back the Pink Times.

No, not that one. The Saturday evening version of the Evening Times with all the days results.

Christmas is great and the older I get, the more inclined I am to sit in a haze of drunken nostalgia listening to choirs singing carols.

Wasn't The Pink a broadsheet?  Tricky to handle after a few pints.  SP was more compact.  And it had Dixon Hawke!

5 hours ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:
6 hours ago, The Master said:

Despite being an atheist, I sometimes go to one of the Christmas Eve midnight services. A few pints in the pub followed by belting out the Christmas classics.

Atheist , or agnostic , covering your bases ?

I often wondered about that.

Think it was the ink used rather than the colour of the paper.

Possibly out of necessity to get it printed very quickly after the games finished. As I remember, quite a few reports only covered up to half time in the lower leagues.

Anyway, didn’t mean to hijack a Christmas thread. As you were.

34 minutes ago, Jumbo Muir said:

Think it was the ink used rather than the colour of the paper.

Possibly out of necessity to get it printed very quickly after the games finished. As I remember, quite a few reports only covered up to half time in the lower leagues.

Anyway, didn’t mean to hijack a Christmas thread. As you were.

Think the Times was printed on pink paper in the 60's and changed in the 70's. Papers used to use red/pink print for results in their stop press section. The Citizen and Evening Express football editions used green (colour not environmentally sound) paper.