Dundee v Aundee United, The Dundee Derby

Not to state the obvious, but Utds financial doping has them on a firmer footing - can’t deny it.

We were shite, no quarrel from any Dundee fan, but all Utd have done is built a strong championship side on a large premiership budget.

Unfortunately we have dragged ourselves down to Dundee Utds level and they have beaten us with experience. Absolute veterans at this level now and with a budget to make most premiership teams (and your average financial adviser) blush.

That game would get football stopped. Throughout the 90 mins there was one period of football which resulted in Shankland hitting the post - even thenit featured players falling over and just being extremely scrappy.
At least you're taking it well. That's the main thing

20 minutes ago, Lancashirearab said:

Wasn't there some sort of assist from James McPake? He took off the terrible McGowan,  but forgot to tell someone else to cover the space he had be patrolling for most of the match. Seconds later, Shankland picks up the ball in that space and goes on to score.

Nope. McGowan wasn't playing anywhere near the part of the pitch where Shankland was played in by the second worst player on the park - Andy Nelson. 

The biggest mistake McPake made was allowing Nelson on the park in the first place. The second mistake was leaving him on the park after half time. 

The morning after the night before, oh dear!!!!!!

Saw a post earlier mentioning if we had signed Lawrence Shankland instead and utilised him as we do Kane Hemmings our scoring charts would show no great change to the current levels.

United last night imho gave the impression they expected to win that game, whereas we had only hoped for the best.

Now, I'm Dark Blue born and bred, however no amount of sabre rattling escapes the fact even the second half alone, that could have been another heavy defeat. 

Shocking, totally unacceptable performance overall, however not unexpected.

Best regards   

9 hours ago, kdyteejay said:

I had Butcher as my moth. Brilliant player and if all united players had the same desire as he does we’d be miles ahead of the rest.

I'd have him as Captain. You could see him telling players where to position themselves, geeing others up all night. 

I thought when he signed again he would be our most important signing. To be fair was pretty pissed off when he left the first time, especially after speaking to his dad at the Celtic cup final with him saying how much Callum liked it here & wanted the club to hurry up and speak about a new contract.

I just hope he is the next announcement in regards to a new contract as he only signed for 18 months this time.

Thats my top four this season can't see much change . Utd Bossed that game for 90 mins simple . Dundee still have work to do to maintain top 4

Hopefully Arbroath get a result this weekend to put the pressure on these minks

Can't watch it back. In "clearer" headed times were the bookings for Butcher and Nelson correct or should either/ both (as I thought at time) have been red? Seems to be taken that the challenge for the penalty was correct, it didn't look much from my angle, presumably no dispute on this one.

Just now, DieDee said:

Can't watch it back. In "clearer" headed times were the bookings for Butcher and Nelson correct or should either/ both (as I thought at time) have been red? Seems to be taken that the challenge for the penalty was correct, it didn't look much from my angle, presumably no dispute on this one.

IMO neither was a red. Definitely yellows but there wasn't malice just a little late. 

Some very OTT reactions from some Dundee fans. Dundee United are just better than we are and it’s showed over the last 2 games. Butcher ran the show in the middle of the park which was impressive given how early he was booked. We’re playing for second place now which I still think would be a successful season, United were always clear favourites to win the league with the time they’ve had to rebuild. McPake needs time, anyone who thought a rookie manager would come in and work miracles needs to give their head a shake.

Well done to Dundee United, enjoy the win and that’s the league pretty much wrapped up already. Looks like you’ll get to enjoy the second half of the season pretty stress free.

Thank You.

8 minutes ago, DieDee said:

I was stuck watching it in a boozer in Aberdeen and I didn't think either were reds despite the overreaction from the commentators. Just late tackles from players who were obviously fired up for a big game. Penalty was a stick on, daft challenge. 

6 minutes before their first shot on target. Some effort. Thought they could have done with bringing on Dorrans, a guy of his quality would surely have bossed the midfield. 

Random Guy had it spot on - the issue wasn't Dorrans but the fact that McGowan, Nelson and McDaid were shockingly bad - absolutely no outlet for him - kept having to play back to Forster who then lumped it up the park (inaccurately) to Hemmings. Hemmings was left isolated against 2 or 3 defenders every time because the 3 aforementioned just did not support him or Dorrans. Byrne couldn't do much either as he was clearly doing the job of protecting the defence. 

Genuinely don't believe this formation works against the better teams in the league - we only beat Ayr because they actually come at you and give you opportunities to counter quickly.

United's tactics were spot on - close down and target the full backs - once it was clear that Appere wasn't getting past Kerr you switched down the right and went for the clearly weaker Mackie - haven't looked back nat the runup to the penalty but you have to ask why McDaid was left as the last defender.

United weren't brilliant - they didn't need to be - too many of our players posted missing - but then if the manager tries to put a striker on the left wing you are asking for trouble.

Agree with what others are saying about Dundee and Dorrans. He was let down by those around him. McPake's decision to bring on Johnson and Josh McPake arguably won us the match, we looked so much comfortable going up against that two man midfield. Byrne... people much smarter than me at analysing football insist he's a really good footballer and was great for Livi. I didn't see it then, I don't see it now.

12 hours ago, stewartyftd1 said:

Respect to Dundee! I thought you done all you can first half in thwarting United. But the class shown through! We’re just a better team currently but I’m sure you will do well and have a chance in the play offs!

We wouldn't beat raith Falkirk or east fife 

1 hour ago, Juantwothree said:

We wouldn't beat raith Falkirk or east fife 

We just beat Ayr, Alloa and Morton, 3 better teams than the ones you mentioned. Pipe down for now and calm yourself.

I knew people would be quite upset, but jeezo. I expected to feel like wanting to die, but I'm really just bummed out. Don't let last night mask the positives we have had of late, we just need to continue moving forward and improving.