Dundee v Aundee United, The Dundee Derby

38 minutes ago, Jock Tamson said:
55 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:
Looks like you've had a fruit cocktail or two Jock.
Time to get tucked up with your blanket. IMO.

Really really disappointed that you haven't ending your post with "thank you"

Image result for fast show drunk guy"

The interesting difference for us is in our midfield. Going into the last derby we were debating whether a 16-year old (as good as he is) should have a place in the derby game. Jazza had very little idea what he was doing and the midfield was jelly, allowing United free passage into our half. Now we have a much better functioning midfield with Dorrans in it, Byrne playing his proper position, Gowser getting in form and having an equally capable backup in Ness, as well as wee Finiesta. With them we can dictate the pace much better and build an attacking threat.

Our defense, despite never never feeling exactly unstoppable, are usually good at keeping it together. The problem is the concentration can go quickly, as seen with the Partick scoring spree and Morton's goal immediately after ours. Keep that in check and work on fucking set-pieces, and United could (hopefully) have a rough night offensively for a change. Personally looking forward to seeing Dorrans control the pace of the derby on his lonesome, would be so nice to see.

47 minutes ago, captainkev said:

That was the first league derby at Dens I ever went to and every league derby I've been to since has been more mortifying than the last. 

I've been to the Jarvie/Lovell game, the Heffernan game, the new year's day 2016 and doon derbies. I've never seen us win a league game at Dens, but I'll be there on Friday.

Get all of your money on Dundee folks.

Did you miss the constant 3-0 pumping during our replacing Sevco season?

Will Graham Dorrans continue his Kevin Thomson without the injuries like form in a Dark Blue shirt? Will Hemmings continue his goal scoring form? Will Shankland? Will Butcher, butcher someone? Will Gowser do a pirouhett round the United defence? Will Forster get roasted by McMullan? Will McDaid have one of his blistering nights or a disappointing one?

The interesting difference for us is in our midfield. Going into the last derby we were debating whether a 16-year old (as good as he is) should have a place in the derby game. Jazza had very little idea what he was doing and the midfield was jelly, allowing United free passage into our half. Now we have a much better functioning midfield with Dorrans in it, Byrne playing his proper position, Gowser getting in form and having an equally capable backup in Ness, as well as wee Finiesta. With them we can dictate the pace much better and build an attacking threat.

Our defense, despite never never feeling exactly unstoppable, are usually good at keeping it together. The problem is the concentration can go quickly, as seen with the Partick scoring spree and Morton's goal immediately after ours. Keep that in check and work on fucking set-pieces, and United could (hopefully) have a rough night offensively for a change. Personally looking forward to seeing Dorrans control the pace of the derby on his lonesome, would be so nice to see.

I wish I had your faith Ross.

From what I’ve seen the DABs attack with pace, I think we’ll struggle to handle that. Plus Mackie will probably start, he’s not quite the bombscare he looked at first but I’d rather Marshall. Mackie seems even more limited in defensive capability. Hazard is also giving me the fear. Another keeper who is not as dominant in the air as he should be and a shite kicker.

There will be multiple goals I’m sure.

It’s a bigger game for us, United can lose this and still be top.

We are definitely the underdogs but we’ve won before in that position.

A frantic game in prospect.

1 hour ago, This Charming Man said:

Even then there's no guarantee I'm afraid with this fixture.

I recall a derby at Dens around 2002, Dundee coasting at 3-0 and looking to do something really special on the day.

What happens, two late United replies and we nearly concede an even later equaliser!!!

Hard one to predict on Friday, however to us, only a home win is acceptable. No pressure then, lol. 

Best regards 

This happened in 1995 as well, the week before the ill-fated Coca Cola Cup Final against Aberdeen. 

Playing at Tannadice, George Shaw scored twice in the opened 15 minutes, with Morten Weighorst adding a 3rd immediately after half time. Shaw then hit the post a few minutes later, during a 10 minute spell where we looked like scoring every time we attacked. United then pulled two back with about 15 minutes left and only a cracking save from Pageaud prevented an equaliser. 

I've only ever see us stroll two derbies - the Juan Sara hatrick derby and a 3-1 win in November 1987. Tommy Coyne scored twice, Wright the other, but Coyne, Ian Angus and possibly Stuart Rafferty missed absolute sitters in the second half.

39 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Did you miss the constant 3-0 pumping during our replacing Sevco season?

The only league derby I made that year was the 1-1 at Tannadice where Gardyne equalised in the last minute...

I also realise now that I was at the cup game that season where GMS scored the winner. So I have actually seen us win at Dens, but my previous post still technically stands. I've only seen defeats at Dens in the league, and particularly shite defeats at that.

I'm more worried about the after effect of a loss in this derby rather than losing in itself. 

We are finally building a bit of momentum - as much as I'd love to be challenging United all season - I'd realistically be happy finishing 2nd this year considering the rebuild we've had to do since the McIntyre mess. If we win, brilliant, the title challenge could actually be on, but if we lose? The fans could turn on McPake again, the distrust in the team could become more significant and we can be back at square one. Regardless of the result - the reaction to it will be more important than the game itself IMO.

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

I'm more worried about the after effect of a loss in this derby rather than losing in itself. 

We are finally building a bit of momentum - as much as I'd love to be challenging United all season - I'd realistically be happy finishing 2nd this year considering the rebuild we've had to do since the McIntyre mess. If we win, brilliant, the title challenge could actually be on, but if we lose? The fans could turn on McPake again, the distrust in the team could become more significant and we can be back at square one. Regardless of the result - the reaction to it will be more important than the game itself IMO.

15 days until our next game as well, so whatever it is we'll have to sit on it.

I don't think we'd go back to square one, but obviously many will be moaning b*****ds should we lose. I'd hope this little streak would keep them largely pacified though, I think he's grown a lot in a short amount of time.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

3 minutes ago, captainkev said:

The only league derby I made that year was the 1-1 at Tannadice where Gardyne equalised in the last minute...

I also realise now that I was at the cup game that season where GMS scored the winner. So I have actually seen us win at Dens, but my previous post still technically stands. I've only seen defeats at Dens in the league, and particularly shite defeats at that.

Was that the game where the Dees were raging as GMS took the ball for a run and actually ran out the park before United scored?

1 minute ago, captainkev said:

I managed to go my 13 years without seeing us win a derby at Dens until the aforementioned Sara Derby in 2000. During that time we actually only won two - A League Cup Q-F which i didn't get to go to because it was a fucking school night and a 4-3 win because I had to go to my cousin's wedding at the Invercarse. I was seething at my old man for that - he'd said before it "it'll be rubbish, we never beat them at Dens". The c**t.  

3 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

15 days until our next game as well, so whatever it is we'll have to sit on it.

I don't think we'd go back to square one, but obviously many will be moaning b*****ds should we lose. I'd hope this little streak would keep them largely pacified though, I think he's grown a lot in a short amount of time.

Definitely - previously I've been defending McPake with little substance other than he loves the club and he's made good signings on paper, but he's a rookie and shown little else to justify faith. The past 3 games has shown that he definitely has managerial potential but is going to continue to make mistakes throughout the next few years.

I fear if this season goes as expected, too many would hold a grudge that United pipped us to the league regardless of how well we perform.

Or I guess you dont think he can beat shite ? It's the hope you live for Twinkle it seems.
Well it depends what united show up mate. The Caley, Morton, Dundee type United will stroll it

The Alloa, QOS, Ayr type United suggests we will struggle

Well it depends what united show up mate. The Caley, Morton, Dundee type United will stroll it

The Alloa, QOS, Ayr type United suggests we will struggle
We are shite however ( I believe you posted this ) so really we are getting ever closer to the answer you really have but for whatever reason just cant say it. I know you dont like Neilson, I know many dont ( maybe it's still my patter ) however he has you 6 points clear the now off a team who are near the top of the league , that's not bad going.
I believe even on twitter today United fans were hounding him about his choice of picks , said fans of course then praised him all after. He is on a hiding to nothing.
If he wins the league he fluked it because everyone else is shite , if he dosnt you can pretend to gloat and tell everyone you knew this would happen?

Is that the just of it ?