'Well - Livi

Think a draw was probably the fairer result. Pretty poor game.  Goalie sold the jerseys for our first and we gave away a penalty from nothing . Glad to get the three points from that slog.  Livi players giving Sevcoesque levels of flinging themselves down and greeting about everything. Quite surprising that.

2 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I've just seen the goals on SSN. What on earth was Cole thinking when he made that challenge?

I've not been overly convinced by Cole so far to be honest, I'm still seething about that quick throw against Ross County. He has some really good attributes -  pace, power etc but for a guy who's 24 and played over 150 games at fairly decent level, he doesn't really use it as well as you'd expect. I dunno if I'm being harsh, I mean we usually sign a lot of project types but I guess I expected a bit more of a rounded player when we signed Cole than what we've seen so far. 

As for the game, it was as expected. Robinson pointed out post match, our strengths are mostly in our pace and energy. As such, teams have come to sit deep and frustrate which sadly doesn't always make for the best spectacle. However it's up to us to break them down and at times we didn't help ourselves. We moved the ball too slowly for large spells and there wasn't enough drive or any real guile out there to unlock a stubborn Livi defence. Hylton did show some nice flashes of skill particularly first half but this was usually followed with him being chopped down shortly after. 

No surprise to see Polworth with the assist for the opener, shocker from the Livi keeper mind. Seedorf looked sharp when he came on and provided the bit of spark we needed at a time when Livingston were looking fairly comfortable for a point. Have to give a lot of credit to Gillespie though, he got some stick for his part in the opener at Ibrox but he's won us the 6 points over the last 2 games with some massive saves at important times.

Overall it wasn't pretty and to be honest at times it was downright ugly, however it did have the feeling at the end of being a big 3 points at the end of a difficult week.

Edited by Casagolda

It was a fairly average performance. Midfield and attack were not at the races. 

Thankfully our defence and goalie secured the points. 

Love James Scott and he is such a silky footballer. Did more in 10 minutes than Cole did in whole game + STUPID tackle for penalty. 

Can someone explain to me why after we score a goal we become a certain grade of Sh1te. Happens all too often.

Livi had their chances but their football is not for the purists. Ball in the box at every opportunity becomes painful to watch. Would love a player like Lithgow to take a long throw in but not every bloody time and almost from the half way line. Still they probably have one of the lowest budgets so you play to your strengths. 

I am very pleased with the 3 points but that was a below par performance. To stay in 3rd or 4th we need to be better than that. 

Edited by welldaft

I've not been overly convinced by Cole so far to be honest, I'm still seething about that quick throw against Ross County. He has some really good attributes -  pace, power etc but for a guy who's 24 and played over 150 games at fairly decent level, he doesn't really use it as well as you'd expect. I dunno if I'm being harsh, I mean we usually sign a lot of project types but I guess I expected a bit more of a rounded player when we signed Cole than what we've seen so far. 
As for the game, it was as expected. Robinson pointed out post match, our strengths are mostly in our pace and energy. As such, teams have come to sit deep and frustrate which sadly doesn't always make for the best spectacle. However it's up to us to break them down and at times we didn't help ourselves. We moved the ball too slowly for large spells and there wasn't enough drive or any real guile out there to unlock a stubborn Livi defence. Hylton did show some nice flashes of skill particularly first half but this was usually followed with him being chopped down shortly after. 
No surprise to see Polworth with the assist for the opener, shocker from the Livi keeper mind. Seedorf looked sharp when he came on and provided the bit of spark we needed at a time when Livingston were looking fairly comfortable for a point. Have to give a lot of credit to Gillespie though, he got some stick for his part in the opener at Ibrox but he's won us the 6 points over the last 2 games with some massive saves at important times.
Overall it wasn't pretty and to be honest at times it was downright ugly, however it did have the feeling at the end of being a big 3 points at the end of a difficult week.
I think there's a player in there with Cole but it needs brought out with coaching. He's not our player though so we have a limited time to get the best out of him.

Talking at the game today, Long seems to have more game intelligence. He makes some cracking runs and has a really good burst of pace over that initial important 5-10 yards. Unfortunately he sometimes lets himself down with what he does when he gets on the end of those runs but it's starting to improve. He reminds me a bit of Moult who took a good while to get up to speed and we'll be doing well if we can get him to be half the player he was.

Probably the poorest game I've been to this season (in the league at least) - but 3 points feels like a bonus today when a draw seemed likely. 

I thought Livi looked fairly comfortable over the 90 mins and it was a game decided on random incidents rather than us having any sort of quality on the day. I thought we started sluggishly (maybe understandably after two tough games already in the last few days) and never really got going. I thought none of our midfielders really dominated their opponents - although seeing Cambell getting it up Bartley was pleasing)  - and that meant we struggled to move the ball.

Once again - after going ahead, we simply stopped - and allowed Livi to have a good spell which resulted in their penalty. In coaching this week, teaching Cole (who has a lot of potential) that looking as guilty as a dog who's left a curler on the living room rug isn't the best way to convince a referee that your badly advised advised challenge in the box didn't merit a penalty, probably isn't the best idea.

I can't think of any standouts in the team today, which probably explains why I enjoyed the winner and the result so much. We've now surpassed the points total we had at the winter break last year - we're in a decent place at the moment.

1 hour ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Was there ever any doubt he'd stupidly challenged the back of him?

And I sit I long way away in the Cooper Stand.

I’ve only seen it live but I actually thought it was soft. However I’m probably on the lenient side: think I’d only punish deliberate acts of cheating (e.g. that c*nt Scott Allan) or deliberate dangerous acts (e.g. straight leggers).

Edited by crispy

Looked like he kicked him up the arse - is that a penalty these days?

A lot gets made of that quick throw in against County, there was another throw in on the other side of the pitch before the move that led to the goal.

Cole’s goal midweek was a beauty and absolves him from sin. 

7 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Pretty sure it was the linesman who must have called it  as the ref looked over at him and  they were both muttering something into their microphones.

11 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I think there's a player in there with Cole but it needs brought out with coaching. He's not our player though so we have a limited time to get the best out of him.

Talking at the game today, Long seems to have more game intelligence. He makes some cracking runs and has a really good burst of pace over that initial important 5-10 yards. Unfortunately he sometimes lets himself down with what he does when he gets on the end of those runs but it's starting to improve. 

Agree on both points. 

I’m not sure what it is about Cole but I just haven’t quite taken to him so far. Sometimes he’ll burst in to life and do something that makes me think there’s a real player there, however for me he spends far too much time drifting through games making minimal impact. 

Long’s movement is excellent, that and his pace makes him a real handful for defences- even if his end product does occasionally let him down. Even with that in mind though, in his last five games he’s - scored against St Mirren and Livi, won a penalty against Aberdeen and got the boy sent off for Killie. 

I’m still not quite sure what I think our best front three is but at the minute, it’d be Long plus two others. 

Edited by Casagolda

15 hours ago, welldaft said:

It was a fairly average performance. Midfield and attack were not at the races. 

Thankfully our defence and goalie secured the points. 

Love James Scott and he is such a silky footballer. Did more in 10 minutes than Cole did in whole game + STUPID tackle for penalty. 

Can someone explain to me why after we score a goal we become a certain grade of Sh1te. Happens all too often.

Livi had their chances but their football is not for the purists. Ball in the box at every opportunity becomes painful to watch. Would love a player like Lithgow to take a long throw in but not every bloody time and almost from the half way line. Still they probably have one of the lowest budgets so you play to your strengths. 

I am very pleased with the 3 points but that was a below par performance. To stay in 3rd or 4th we need to be better than that. 

Paid dividends when we had Gallagher to win the flick on to Halkett at the back post, not so much now they've left. If we had an actual striker playing though our game would be a lot different, Dykes adds a whole new dimension to our attack.

On 02/11/2019 at 08:15, Desp said:

"We've scored first every game this season, apart from the games that we didny".

Yassin, thank you. 

If games just ended after we scored, we'd be top of the league right now.

Fortunately we haven't gone behind too often because we've failed to salvage a single point all season from a losing position.

It wasn't a classic by any stretch. I'm still not convinced by Cole. Sometimes he'll do something great, but a lot of the time he's doing absolutely bugger all. For a man who is on about 150 career games I expected a wee bit more but hey ho. Needs acting lessons after his display following booting Tiffoney up the bahookie too.

Campbell probably didn't have his best game but he absolutely refuses to give up on anything. Every time we break up the park he's the first man following in. He probably had met his match in Bartley and they sort of cancelled each other out until he fired in the winner then leathered through the back of him. 

Not nearly enough has been made of big Declan's mazy run, and if Grimshaw scored a 40 yard dink over the keeper I would have been on the park shirtless. 

19 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I thought it was soft as shite, then I seen it on telly and was convinced it was.