Clubs with no real rivals

nsr

On 18/11/2019 at 22:54, Roker Rover said:

The answer down here in England is Middlesbrough. They love to call games v Sunderland and Newcastle 'Deby' matches, but as a Sunderland fan we only have one Derby match and I know Newcastle fans feel the same. Hartlepool and Darlington were always too small to be real rivals as they hardly every played Boro and that's even more the case now that those two clubs are non league. Looking South they have Leeds as the nearest club, but even though both Boro and Leeds are within the old Yorkshire boundaries I have yet to meet a Leeds fan who considers Boro a Derby. They have their obsession with Man Utd as well as Yorkshire derbies with Sheff Wed, Sheff Utd, Huddersfield, Barnsley, Bradford City, Rotherham and Hull.

Boro really are a team with no natural rivals.

My team are probably the nearest equivalent rival to them and its true that they love to beat us, but its just not reciprocated in the same way. I always get the impression they are frustrated that pretty much nobody takes them seriously.

Thought it was hilarious a week or so ago when Jonathan Woodgate claimed that the social media comments calling for him to be sacked as Boro boss could have been Sunderland or Newcastle fans pretending to be Boro fans. As if Sunderland fans (especially with the absolute state of things there) and Newcastle fans would even be remotely arsed enough to do that. So deluded.

Edited by AyrTroopMajor

Thought it was hilarious a week or so ago when Jonathan Woodgate claimed that the social media comments calling for him to be sacked as Boro boss could have been Sunderland or Newcastle fans pretending to be Boro fans. As if Sunderland fans (especially with the absolute state of things there) and Newcastle fans would even be remotely arsed enough to do that. So deluded.
I would imagine if their fans do dislike Boro, they'd want Woodgate to stay.

Like Manure with Ole.

2 minutes ago, IainMorton said:

Was it not considered a derby match when we were in the same league? Not sure if there was much hatred, though.

Meh, media probably painted it as a "local derby" but I wouldn't call Morton a rival of ours and I doubt we even register with the majority of your fans.

When I was a bit younger there was always a bit of an edge to Morton games from what I remember, but again I don't think it ventures close to rivalry. You c***s are actually an alright bunch once you get past the weirdos like ton trooper and Hucker :P