Clubs with no real rivals

nsr

11 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Brentford are another London club that nobody seems to give a f**k about.

32 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

QPR.

Fulham and Chelsea are also in that vicinity, although Brentford and Chelsea wouldn't meet that often on league business.

Do Leyton Orient have any real rivals?

Can’t see AFC Wimbledon, Charlton, Millwall or any other London club being interested in them.

Maybe Barnet?
AFC Wimbledon, just like the old Wimbledon FC don't have any real local rivals. I guess the club(s) changed division too often. Obviously the Milton Keynes story is widely known, but locally there isn't that much of a rivalry. Palace to some extent in the past but that was never really intense and more one-sided.

1 minute ago, Marten said:

AFC Wimbledon, just like the old Wimbledon FC don't have any real local rivals. I guess the club(s) changed division too often. Obviously the Milton Keynes story is widely known, but locally there isn't that much of a rivalry. Palace to some extent in the past but that was never really intense and more one-sided.

Aye, Palace were the team that sprang to mind. I remember being on a train from Croydon before a Wimbledon/Palace game in the early Nineties and the atmosphere was a tad...tense.

6 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

QPR.

Old flatmate of mines was a QPR fan. Absolutely hated Chelsea. The Chelsea fans I've spoken to seen QPR more as an annoyance than a rival, but disliked them all the same.

On 17/11/2019 at 22:30, tongue_tied_danny said:

Brentford are another London club that nobody seems to give a f**k about.

Traditionally Fulham and Brentford were rivals, although I doubt many Fulham fans think so these days.

On 05/11/2019 at 15:32, Connor1874 said:

Gillingham. Sure I've read that in a survey, most of their fans claimed the team they hated most was Millwall, but no one really recalls a real reason why, and Millwall certainly don't care about them.

Can't imagine Cambridge or Colchester have much in the way of rivalry. Colchester vs Southend maybe as the only 2 professional Essex clubs, but they're still quite a bit away, and think Colchester are almost in Suffolk. 

I have a feeling that Colchester see Wycombe as their main rivals, although I have no idea why. 

The answer down here in England is Middlesbrough. They love to call games v Sunderland and Newcastle 'Deby' matches, but as a Sunderland fan we only have one Derby match and I know Newcastle fans feel the same. Hartlepool and Darlington were always too small to be real rivals as they hardly every played Boro and that's even more the case now that those two clubs are non league. Looking South they have Leeds as the nearest club, but even though both Boro and Leeds are within the old Yorkshire boundaries I have yet to meet a Leeds fan who considers Boro a Derby. They have their obsession with Man Utd as well as Yorkshire derbies with Sheff Wed, Sheff Utd, Huddersfield, Barnsley, Bradford City, Rotherham and Hull.

Boro really are a team with no natural rivals.

My team are probably the nearest equivalent rival to them and its true that they love to beat us, but its just not reciprocated in the same way. I always get the impression they are frustrated that pretty much nobody takes them seriously.

Leicester is also a good shout as they are in a triangle with Nottingham Forest and Derby County but neither of those two see Leicester as their main derby game. Coventry City could be a third side who nobody really cares about that much. They are the after thought of the West Midlands in the same way Boro are in the North East.

PS - I actually like Middlesbrough as a club and as a place. I have worked there in the past and for the most part the people are great. I actually like to see them do well, which pretty much proves my point that its not a derby when we play them.

Edited by Roker Rover

On 15/11/2019 at 11:29, Connor1874 said:

They don't perhaps have an actual Derby fixture as such which has been played throughout their history, but aside from the Sheffield 2, no one in Yorkshire really does. Despite that, any 2 Yorkshire clubs going head to head is usually considered a Derby, and they all hate each other. 

Leeds vs Manchester United is probably their biggest rivalry though. Although I don't know exactly when that started. There's plenty of history behind the Lancashire vs Yorkshire rivalry, but I don't know specifically when it became such a big deal between these 2 teams. By the looks of things, it could've been around the 60's when both clubs were competing for a lot of silverware thus intensifying the regional rivalry. Although by that logic, does that mean hypothetically in say 50-100 years time, the Man Utd-Leeds rivalry could effectively fizzle out and something like Sheffield United vs Man City takes over? Purely based on some scenario that another Lancashire and Yorkshire club were at the top of the English game.

Re Yorkshire. I think Barnsley v Huddersfield and obviously Sheff Utd v Sheff Wed are the two biggest Derby games. Hull v Leeds can get very tasty I have been told, but then again Hull v anyone can get very tasty and I should know!!

On 15/11/2019 at 22:08, Raven said:

Bit off topic, but there was a bit of antagonism for a while between Luton and York a few years back. Some crowd trouble at the 2010 play off semifinal; 2 years later after winning the play off final, one of the York players celebrated with a little home made sign saying "RIP Luton". York's subsequent demise wasn't met with too much sympathy in Bedfordshire. 

Nothing is met with much sympathy in your part of Bedfordshire mate. Was there twice last season and met some good people both times but also met some very iffy characters.

Steven Yaxley Lennon with his hate filled bile is your most famous son. Seems to me you don't do much 'sympathy'.

Interestingly we can measure this scientifically in England (at least 80yrs ago) as in 1938 & 1939 season opened with Jubilee ties, picked to maximise crowds, to set-up a benevolent fund:

Arsenal - Tottenham
  Brentford - Chelsea
  Charlton - Millwall
  Fulham - West Ham
  Clapton Orient - Southend
  Crystal Palace - Brighton
  QPR - Northampton

Aston Villa - West Brom
  Birmingham - Coventry

Stoke - Wolves
  Port Vale - Crewe

Bradford City - Bradford (Park Avenue)

Bristol City - Bristol Rovers

Everton - Liverpool

Notts County - Nottingham Forest

Manchester City - Manchester Utd

Sheffield Utd - Sheffield Wednesday

Accrington - Southport
  Aldershot - Reading
  Barnsley - Chesterfield
  Barrow - Carlisle
(does not seem to have been played in 1939)
  Blackburn - Burnley
  Blackpool - Preston
  Bolton - Bury
  Bournemouth - Torquay
  Cardiff - Swansea
  Chester - Wrexham
  Darlington - Hartlepools
  Derby - Leicester
  Doncaster - Rotherham
  Exeter - Plymouth
  Gateshead - Newcastle
  Grimsby - Lincoln
  Halifax - Rochdale
  Huddersfield - Leeds
  Hull - York
  Ipswich - Norwich
  Luton - Watford
  Mansfield - Walsall
  Middlesbrough - Sunderland
  New Brighton - Tranmere
  Newport - Swindon
  Oldham - Stockport
  Portsmouth - Southampton

11 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

PSG, St Etienne?

St Etienne were at their peak in the 60s and 70s before PSG had really fully emerged as a top club and Olympique Lyon are their big regional derby, so don't think that one works. Think it's probably Olympique Marseilles that are viewed as the big game for PSG but that isn't geographical in any way. PSG were formed because the traditional big Paris teams like Racing Club and Stade Francais had collapsed financially in the 60s, so there is no significant local derby game for them.

21 hours ago, Roker Rover said:

Steven Yaxley Lennon with his hate filled bile is your most famous son.

He really isn't and I'm willing to take the necessary tests to prove it. Whatever bile filled him didn't come from me.

Think they got moved to Sochi when a stadium was built for the World Cup, so not sure if they are still around.
Aye they were moved to Sochi under the name PFC Sochi & currently play in the top tier after securing promotion. Sochi is considered & treated as a new club with no connection to Dynamo & it's history. A club was formed in 2019 by people associated with Dynamo under the name FC Laz Luga & plays in the amateur North West Championship.