Clubs with no real rivals

nsr

11 minutes ago, atfccfc said:

I'm sure Cambridge United and Peterborough united are/were rivals with each other.

I lived in Cambridge for a few months back in 2001 and went to a handful of games. Peterborough were definitely seen as the main rivals then. They've probably not spent much time in the same division since though.

8 hours ago, Connor1874 said:

Gillingham. Sure I've read that in a survey, most of their fans claimed the team they hated most was Millwall, but no one really recalls a real reason why, and Millwall certainly don't care about them.

Gillingham had a boner for Charlton for a while too; think they were the closest of the London clubs, and the Kentish have all sorts of weird love/hate complexes about London. I doubt Charlton were even aware.

If there was a survey about clubs that nobody gave a shit about, Gillingham would surely be favourites.

11 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Gillingham had a boner for Charlton for a while too; think they were the closest of the London clubs, and the Kentish have all sorts of weird love/hate complexes about London. I doubt Charlton were even aware.

If there was a survey about clubs that nobody gave a shit about, Gillingham would surely be favourites.

they had three years of derbies against maidstone united in the early 90's which were coming along nicely from the fractious and distinctly un-neighbourly point of view only to be scuppered by maidstone going in to liquidation; before that there was a long-standing enmity with swindon town on the back of a couple of close-run promotion battles in League One culminating in play off games which involved punch ups on the pitch, numerous sendings off and a great deal of ill-feeling which translated nicely on to the terraces; it still simmers along though swindon are far more concerned with oxford united and, to a lesser extent, bristol city so yeah, in real terms no-one gives a shit about gillingham

On ‎31‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 20:49, pozbaird said:

Some St Mirren fans seem to regard games against Kilmarnock as a derby, over games against Morton. I don’t get it, surely Killie’s rivals are Ayr United, and therefore there’s an Ayrshire derby in Killie v Ayr, and a Renfrewshire derby in St Mirren v Morton.

Answers on a postcard to....

I've never really known Killie fans to think it's a rivalry - it's close by and that's about it. That said, We've not played Ayr in the league since 1993!

I'd have said Thistle were more our rivals than St Mirren but they are as much an irrelevance as Ayr now.

5 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I've never really known Killie fans to think it's a rivalry - it's close by and that's about it. That said, We've not played Ayr in the league since 1993!

I'd have said Thistle were more our rivals than St Mirren but they are as much an irrelevance as Ayr now.

And yet you still sing songs about us every weekend  :wub: xxx

• 2 weeks later...

Leeds must be the biggest single club City in Britain will no ‘real rivals’. Plenty of secondary rivalry handed down the years perhaps, Man Utd, Chelsea, Derby etc and indeed hated by the fans of many other teams down south, but do they have a true one on one club rivalry?

Don't know the history, but Tranmere fans seemed to be the only ones who took great joy in seeing Bury go under.
Not sure if this is just because Bury cheated their way to promotion ahead of Tranmere (who eventually got up through the play-offs anyway) last season. Can't imagine there would be much sympathy from the clubs who were round about them over the last couple of years.

1 hour ago, Clockwork said:

Leeds must be the biggest single club City in Britain will no ‘real rivals’. Plenty of secondary rivalry handed down the years perhaps, Man Utd, Chelsea, Derby etc and indeed hated by the fans of many other teams down south, but do they have a true one on one club rivalry?

Obviously Leeds are the bigger club but I think Hull hate Leeds and don't have it reciprocated.

3 hours ago, Clockwork said:

They don't perhaps have an actual Derby fixture as such which has been played throughout their history, but aside from the Sheffield 2, no one in Yorkshire really does. Despite that, any 2 Yorkshire clubs going head to head is usually considered a Derby, and they all hate each other. 

Leeds vs Manchester United is probably their biggest rivalry though. Although I don't know exactly when that started. There's plenty of history behind the Lancashire vs Yorkshire rivalry, but I don't know specifically when it became such a big deal between these 2 teams. By the looks of things, it could've been around the 60's when both clubs were competing for a lot of silverware thus intensifying the regional rivalry. Although by that logic, does that mean hypothetically in say 50-100 years time, the Man Utd-Leeds rivalry could effectively fizzle out and something like Sheffield United vs Man City takes over? Purely based on some scenario that another Lancashire and Yorkshire club were at the top of the English game.

3 hours ago, Connor1874 said:

Leeds vs Manchester United is probably their biggest rivalry though. Although I don't know exactly when that started. There's plenty of history behind the Lancashire vs Yorkshire rivalry, but I don't know specifically when it became such a big deal between these 2 teams. By the looks of things, it could've been around the 60's...

yeah - there was one season in the mid 60's when leeds beat united in the F A Cup semi final (when that was still a 'thing'), but united won the title on goal average or crowd flat-cap wearing quotient or whatever it was back then with leeds as runners up; it's rumbled on ever since with leeds as the instigators of most of the real venom (the last bastion of the munich song book, well in to the 90's, which was always guaranteed to wind up up united fans in to an absolute ferment, hence the post-istanbul stabbing and don revie ditties which ensued - all good clean family fun !)

hull have severe delusions of grandeur, and love to hate leeds as it makes them seem big and clever - leeds point and laugh at them derisively, quite correctly, as should the likes of north ferriby and bridlington town

as rightly pointed out the only proper yorkshire derby is that in sheffield, where both sets of fans refer to each other as 'pigs' for no good reason (there are several myths invented in recent years about the reasons behind this, all of which are bollocks); my grandad was a blade, and when I asked dad why he referred to Wednesday fans as pigs, i was told "that's not right - father always just called 'em 'that set of c***s' "

you'd have thought that bradford and huddersfield would have made up a trio of properly hostile derby opponents along with leeds, but although the matches between 'em can be pretty heated, they never seem to be as desperate as other 'proper' derbies for some reason, and you'll rarely hear anything like the hatred and bile that sloshes around other encounters - always seems a bit like 'going through the motions for the sake of it' from all concerned - maybe a lengthy spell with all three of them in the same division for a while would ignite the flames properly ?

there are, of course, the rovers/rotherham/barnsley/scunthorpe "meh" derbies, that everyone pretends to get worked up about the day before the game, but dun't really bother that much about when it comes down to it - all pretty feeble

the tranmere v bury thing goes back five years or so - bury won at prenton park on the last day of the season to get promoted, and at the same time ensure that tranmere were relegated out of the football league; the away fans celebrated on the pitch, which didn't go down terribly well with the locals, so they were less than upset when bury went tits up

eta: didn't realise, but apparently bury did the self same thing at prenton this last season having got promoted again, just to reopen the old wounds - and ensure dancing in the streets of tranmere at their subsequent demise !

Edited by Herman Hessian

1 hour ago, TheCelt67 said:

York City.  

cf gillingham and maidstone; had a fledgling rivalry with scarborough whilst in the same league/division but then went their separate ways; last time (i think) they played in the conference the crowd was just short of 5,000 - just one league apart now, so could be renewing acquaintances again sometime soon...

there was - going back a bit - a curious antagonism between york, rovers and darlington - three big'ish places all on the east coast mainline with a shared railway heritage; it was - therefore - always easy for large contingents of away fans to travel to matches between any two of the three teams,  and there'd be a decent atmosphere even though they weren't proper derby games as such. it was less than an hour to darlo and half that to york from doncaster ; proper shite open terraces for the travelling hordes at both venues (all three including belle vue) - magnificent places to watch football...

6 hours ago, TheCelt67 said:

York City.  

Bit off topic, but there was a bit of antagonism for a while between Luton and York a few years back. Some crowd trouble at the 2010 play off semifinal; 2 years later after winning the play off final, one of the York players celebrated with a little home made sign saying "RIP Luton". York's subsequent demise wasn't met with too much sympathy in Bedfordshire. 

Speaking in current terms Newcastle United have had ‘derbies’ the last few years with Burnley and Huddersfield. Hibs in the summer gone is vaguely closer and certainly easier to get to. Boro are definitely another as one sided rivalries with the Tyne and Wear sides anyway. I suppose by default sunderland fall into the same category, Yorkshire is closest bunch of clubs for them and they now have some weird rivalry with Pompey and Coventry.

historically Napoli jump out as they dwarve the clubs nearby like salernitana or juve stabia. 

11 minutes ago, Latino Lover said:

Speaking in current terms Newcastle United have had ‘derbies’ the last few years with Burnley and Huddersfield. Hibs in the summer gone is vaguely closer and certainly easier to get to. Boro are definitely another as one sided rivalries with the Tyne and Wear sides anyway. I suppose by default sunderland fall into the same category, Yorkshire is closest bunch of clubs for them and they now have some weird rivalry with Pompey and Coventry.

historically Napoli jump out as they dwarve the clubs nearby like salernitana or juve stabia. 

Who are their rivals - Lazio?

Aberdeen’s main rivals would probably have been the former rangers, and to an extent now Sevco.

Rather than parochially disliking someone just because they come from near you - we have applied cultural, historical, political and economic factors.

Maybe a wee bit like Fiorentina or Napoli having a particular dislike for Juventus.