Clubs with no real rivals

nsr

Basel don't really have much going on in that respect. Their recent success means no one particularly likes them but there is no real traditional rival. Same goes for most Swiss clubs I would say, with very few exceptions.

YB have Thun to one side and Xamax to the other, Servette and Lausanne have a half arsed rivalry that seems more concocted than heart felt. The only real rivalry in the traditional sense is Grasshoppers and FC Zürich. Generally good for a bit of violence that one.

40 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Basel don't really have much going on in that respect. Their recent success means no one particularly likes them but there is no real traditional rival. Same goes for most Swiss clubs I would say, with very few exceptions.

YB have Thun to one side and Xamax to the other, Servette and Lausanne have a half arsed rivalry that seems more concocted than heart felt. The only real rivalry in the traditional sense is Grasshoppers and FC Zürich. Generally good for a bit of violence that one.

FC Zurich and Basel had quite a tasty rivalry when they were duking it out for the title didn't they? Think I remember massive riots after FC Zurich won the title at St Jakob stadium. Maybe 2007?

50 minutes ago, TavTastic said:

FC Zurich and Basel had quite a tasty rivalry when they were duking it out for the title didn't they? Think I remember massive riots after FC Zurich won the title at St Jakob stadium. Maybe 2007?

Both have fairly sizeable groups of ultras, they'd have been looking for any excuse to kick off. Could have any permutation of around 8 clubs in that situation and it would have been the same, the football wouldn't have mattered.

3 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I think you are right. Sure they had 20k+ during those days ?

The guy who said otherwise has no respect for the history of his club. 

The 20k+ was only for a handful of games. Seemingly most games drew circa 6k.

5 hours ago, Muzza81 said:

There’s absolutely no doubt that Berwick snd Cowdenbeath are rivals. Not only has there been 30+ years of animosity off the field we have also had a lot of encounters on it. Obviously it depends on how you want to define “rivals” but, as someone with no geographical links to Fife since I was 6, I’d consider you bigger rivals than East Fife or the Pars.

Fair enough mate - must say from my perspective it's only ever been in the animosity and irritation stakes, and as you say the fact we were often dicing for the same outcome in the same division.

For those on either side who do hold it as a true rivalry I can't see that surviving unless you get relegated and we both end-up duelling for promotion: can't sustain a rivalry if you're distant and never play each other (lucky Scottish Cup draw aside).

17 hours ago, Angusfifer said:

Stranraer v Queen of the South was always a strange one. In the same county but some distance apart...

Part of the rivalry is down to the fact that Dumfries gets all the public investment and Stranraer gets forgotten about. Stuck up Dumfriesshire folk thinking that Galloway is full of backwards country bumpkins. They might be right of course but that's irrelevant. 

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

The 20k+ was only for a handful of games. Seemingly most games drew circa 6k.

Averages:

1959-60       8,590
1960-61     10,191
1961-62        7,910
1962-63        7,562
1963-64        8,001
1964-65        8,166
1965-66        7,168
1966-67        6,191
1967-68        7,329
1968-69        7,110
1969-70        6,448

1 minute ago, HibeeJibee said:

Averages:

1959-60       8,590
1960-61     10,191
1961-62        7,910
1962-63        7,562
1963-64        8,001
1964-65        8,166
1965-66        7,168
1966-67        6,191
1967-68        7,329
1968-69        7,110
1969-70        6,448

Yup. I think we actually averaged more in the late 80s.

Who are the biggest clubs...

I'm surprised that a Morton fan hasn't trotted out that ridiculous All Time league table, you know the one, it treats all lower league victories in the same way as top flight victories and since Morton have spent 75% of their existence in the lower leagues, they're in the top 10 [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

16 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Interesting to look at top division New Year derbies back when there were big divisions... certain anomalies highlighted:

Celtic-Rangers, Queen's Park-Partick, Third Lanark-Clyde, Port Glasgow-Morton, Motherwell-Hamilton, Hearts-Hibs, Dundee-Aberdeen
Kilmarnock-St Mirren, Falkirk-Airdrie

Celtic-Rangers, Partick-Third Lanark, Airdrie-Albion Rovers, Motherwell-Hamilton, Hearts-Hibs, Dundee-Aberdeen
St Mirren-Kilmarnock, Morton-Clyde, Ayr-Dumbarton, Raith-Falkirk
(Clydebank-Dumbarton was played on Hogmanay and Queen's Park played Corinthians in a friendly :lol:)

Celtic-Rangers, Partick-Clyde, Motherwell-Hamilton, Hearts-Hibs, Dundee-Aberdeen
St Mirren-Kilmarnock, Ayr-Queen's Park, Airdrie-Falkirk, Cowdenbeath-Dundee Utd, St Johnstone-Morton

Hibs-Hearts, Alloa-Stenhousemuir, Dunfermline-Cowdenbeath, Raith-East Fife, Dundee-Dundee Utd, Arbroath-Aberdeen
Falkirk-St Johnstone, St Bernards-King's Park
Rangers-Celtic, Partick-Clyde, Queen's Park-Third Lanark, Airdrie-Albion Rovers, Motherwell-Hamilton
St Mirren-Kilmarnock, Ayr-Queen of the South, Dumbarton-Morton

Celtic-Rangers, Partick-Clyde, Falkirk-Stirling, Hibs-Hearts, East Fife-Raith, Dundee-Aberdeen
St Mirren-Motherwell, Third Lanark-Queen of the South

Celtic-Rangers, Partick-Clyde, Airdrie-Motherwell, Hibs-Hearts, Dunfermline-Raith, Dundee-Aberdeen
St Mirren-Kilmarnock, Ayr-Third Lanark, Stirling-Arbroath

Clyde-Celtic, Rangers-Partick, Airdrie-Motherwell, Dunfermline-Raith, Hibs-Hearts, Dundee-Aberdeen
Kilmarnock-St Mirren, Morton-Ayr, St Johnstone-Dundee Utd

In the 1930s Dundee United were never in the top flight long enough to be anybody's derby.

Aberdeen v Dundee was always the New Years Day derby.

Once Dundee United and St Johnstone got established in the top flight they met on New Years Day. (Presumably when they were both established in the bottom flight they also met on New Years Day.)

41 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Fair enough mate - must say from my perspective it's only ever been in the animosity and irritation stakes, and as you say the fact we were often dicing for the same outcome in the same division.

For those on either side who do hold it as a true rivalry I can't see that surviving unless you get relegated and we both end-up duelling for promotion: can't sustain a rivalry if you're distant and never play each other (lucky Scottish Cup draw aside).

Cant really disagree with that. I guess "rivalries" in 30 years will look very different with the changing face of Scottish football.

17 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Closest teams are Stuttgart and Karlsruhe for Hoffenheim, though both are in 2. Bundesliga now. With Wolfsburg its probably Hannover or Braunschweig, though again neither are in the Bundesliga.

Though for these rivalries you're talking about the distance from Edinburgh to Glasgow covering the clubs.

Wolfsburg games against Hannover or Braunschweig get referred to as a „Lower-Saxony duel“ the real rivalry and „Lower-Saxony derby“ is between Hannover & Braunschweig.

46 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

In the 1930s Dundee United were never in the top flight long enough to be anybody's derby.

Aberdeen v Dundee was always the New Years Day derby.

Once Dundee United and St Johnstone got established in the top flight they met on New Years Day. (Presumably when they were both established in the bottom flight they also met on New Years Day.)

Since their formation - excluding postponements/etc. - Dundee United's derby opponents on New Year have been as follows. It feels like they were often the 'dregs', paired any old where:

27     St Johnstone
14     Aberdeen
   8    Dundee
   5    Morton
   2    Alloa, Brechin, Cowdenbeath, Dumbarton, Dunfermline, East Fife, East Stirlingshire, Kilmarnock, Queen of the South
   1    Arbroath, Broxburn, Canadian XI, Edinburgh City, Falkirk, Forfar, Hearts, Hibs, Johnstone, King's Park, Montrose, Motherwell, Raith, Rangers

8 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Morton, Kilmarnock and QoS! :lol:

Morton was their New Year derby annually from 1933-34 to 1936-37 (and 1926-27)! They didn't actually face St Johnstone until 1921-22... Dundee until 1939-40 (SFL East)... Aberdeen until 1942-43 ("North-Eastern League").