Should billionaires exist?

The OP

What arbitrary level of wealth is considered “enough” and who gets to decide and impose this limit on someone’s wealth?

For any wealth cap to exists it would require near worldwide support.

How, for example, do you cap Jeff Bezos wealth when he own $100bn worth of shares in the biggest company in the world?

When a man tells you he got rich through hard work, ask him: Whose?
~ Don Marquis

Particularly here in America there's a cultural perception that hard work leads to wealth. Anyone can get rich if they just try hard enough so if someone is poor, they must by definition, be lazy and it's therefore acceptable to look down on them. Wealthy people work hard and should be rewarded with tax breaks and favourable treatment under the law. We're told this so often, few people question it.

Personally, I doubt very much that anyone who has acquired "billions" has done so legally, or if they have, certainly not ethically. I will also never understand the mindset of anyone who has more money than they could spend in a thousand lifetimes  and yet still wants more. Especially when they're fucking over other people to get it.

All that said; while I am, on a global level, richer than a large proportion of humanity, I'd still like more and I wonder if I'd ever reach the point where I didn't.  I also wouldn't want to live in a country where the government sets out to prevent people from earning money.  I would however, like to live in a society where people I deem worthy are rewarded more than people I think are c***s.

Edited by Shotgun

If you become a billionaire then are are earning far more than spending so what's the point? Earning so much that you can't spend it fast enough comes down to blind luck at the end of the day everything has to go in your favour.

If you earn £100k you can live a pretty decent life in the UK if you spend it all and live month to month you might be spending more than some stingy millionaires. 

The EU should have set levels of corporation tax to stop companies setting up office in places with low rates which would massively help tax revenue across the board. 

55 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

You must be pretty money-motivated to become a billionaire. Personally I'd weigh in everyone I know, try and set up/fund some good causes and live a simple life (albeit with a well-stocked harem). 

I'm with you all the way, except from weighing people in, giving to good causes and the simple life bits.

Impossible to prevent them and you typically find that billionaires are responsible for a lot of philanthropic efforts.

Theres a window of wealth where the drive to acquire more often means aggressive tax avoidance. There's no trickle down and we could do a lot more to distribute things like pension tax relief and to collect corporate tax. At the billionaire level it's gone beyond the point where it's harmful to society.

38 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

If you become a billionaire then are are earning far more than spending so what's the point? Earning so much that you can't spend it fast enough comes down to blind luck at the end of the day everything has to go in your favour.

If you earn £100k you can live a pretty decent life in the UK if you spend it all and live month to month you might be spending more than some stingy millionaires. 

The EU should have set levels of corporation tax to stop companies setting up office in places with low rates which would massively help tax revenue across the board. 

I've never earned a third of that - and certainly won't earn it now that I have retired - and I've lead a fairly comfortable life.

All my life I've had a minimum of 3 meals a day, a (weatherproof) roof over my head, a selection of clothes and footwear to wear, a car at the front door (this last 45 years), central heating (this last 46 years), running water and indoor toilet and bathroom facilities, holidays abroad (and at home), and money in my pocket for spending on what I can afford.

There’s a couple of great sections in a book called Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell that go a long way to explaining the circumstances by which some of the wealthiest people in history happened upon their wealth.

I can’t remember the exact stats but something like 40/75 richest people in history were born within 3 2 year periods.

59 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Target tax haven countries with what?

Have a more Heavily regulated system in place when dealing with transactions from tax havens  to the point in becomes a mine field, restrict any trade deals they have until they meet a minimum set corporation tax %age.

There is no nobility in poverty.  I've been rich, and I've been poor and I choose rich every time. At least as a rich man, when I have to face my problems, I show up in the back of a limo wearing a £2000 suit and £30k gold watch.  And if anyone here thinks I'm crazy, get a job at McDonald's, because that's where you f***ing belong.

51 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Who would regulate this?

Have you read the WTO trade agreements, the GATT treaty etc

What do you think? You are seriously asking me to lay out regulation of something as potentially complex as Brexit on a football forum?

Edited by gannonball

4 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Here are Scotland's billionaires

Glenn Gordon and family - spirits - £2.882bn.

Sir Ian Wood and family - oil services and fishing - £1.763bn.

Mohamed Al Fayed and family - retailing - £1.7bn.

John Shaw and Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw - pharmaceuticals - £1.689bn

Mahdi al-Tajir - metals, oil and Highland Spring water - £1.66bn

Trond Mohn and Marit Mohn Westlake and family - industry - £1.602bn

Thomson family - media - £1.401bn.

Philip Day - fashion - £1.2bn.

The Clark family - of the Arnold Clark car dealership - £1.178bn.

Jim Mellon - property and finance - £1.1bn.

Jim McColl, of Clyde Blowers - £1.1bn.

I wonder if any of them post on P&B

Clark family can give everyone in Scotland a new car for all the hassle they create.