Should billionaires exist?

The OP

Bernie Sanders has previously commented that billionaires should not exist. Labour MP Russell Lloyd Moyle went on Radio 5 Live making the same point recently and it has got the right-wing tabloids SEETHING. 

Is the existence of billionaires justified when there is so much poverty and suffering in the world?

Should the state limit people's ability to succeed and discourage personal ambition? 

Any P&Bers ever made a billion? If so, would they like to redistribute some wealth my way? 

Edited by The OP

2 minutes ago, The OP said:

Bernie Sanders has previously commented that billionaires should not exist. Labour MP Russell Lloyd Moyle went on Radio 5 Live making the same point recently and it has got the right-wing tabloids SEETHING. 

Is the existence of billionaires justified when there is so much poverty and suffering in the world?

Should the state limit people's ability to succeed and discourage personal ambition? 

Any P&Bers ever made a billion? If so, would they like to redistribute some wealth my way? 

I don't think we could or should introduce some wealth cap that once somebody reaches, the government basically steps in and just nabs everything off the top.

I would be in favour of structuring tax laws in such a way that being a billionaire isn't really possible. This is ideal world type stuff. Clearly in the UK did this then to some extent, cash just floods out to somewhere that'll let you do what you want.

10 minutes ago, sjc said:

Being a billionaire isn't the problem. It's when billionaires use their wealth to "buy" influence in Governments/Politics.

This is why the dice becomes loaded in their favour.

Pretty sure the dice is already loaded in a billionaire's favour m8.  However, I think the point is more that that level of wealth is clearly excessive and more than anyone can use and should be redistributed. It's not 'do billionaires have an unfair advantage?' 

Edited by The OP

Just now, The OP said:

Pretty sure the dice is already loaded in a billionaire's favour m8.  However, I think the point is more that that level of wealth is clearly excessive and more than anyone can use and should be redistributed. It's not 'do billionaires have an unfair advantage?' 

I wasn't suggesting that billionaires have it tough! Some become hugely successful and wealthy due to continually developing much sought after products.

Should this be discouraged? Also, as asked below, how do you propose this is redistributed?

Here are Scotland's billionaires

Glenn Gordon and family - spirits - £2.882bn.

Sir Ian Wood and family - oil services and fishing - £1.763bn.

Mohamed Al Fayed and family - retailing - £1.7bn.

John Shaw and Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw - pharmaceuticals - £1.689bn

Mahdi al-Tajir - metals, oil and Highland Spring water - £1.66bn

Trond Mohn and Marit Mohn Westlake and family - industry - £1.602bn

Thomson family - media - £1.401bn.

Philip Day - fashion - £1.2bn.

The Clark family - of the Arnold Clark car dealership - £1.178bn.

Jim Mellon - property and finance - £1.1bn.

Jim McColl, of Clyde Blowers - £1.1bn.

I wonder if any of them post on P&B

Just now, sjc said:

I wasn't suggesting that billionaires have it tough! Some become hugely successful and wealthy due to continually developing much sought after products.

Should this be discouraged? Also, as asked below, how do you propose this is redistributed?

Why and how would this discourage people from either developing products or services or from becoming personally richer?

We're talking about billionaires. Can you see any scenario in which someone thinks, "I could make £500m by working really hard, developing this product and growing my business.... but... only £500m... f**k it. Harldy worth bothering my arse"?

3 minutes ago, Dele said:

So we should spend our earnings on services provided by a person who, in turn, then gives that money back to us? 

I wasn't being entirely serious,

But arguing against increasing tax take because you can't think what to do with it....

Edited by Gordon EF

4 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Everywhere.....

UBI

The effect on inflation would cancel out any benefit of UBI.

You be better off providing services that people need that artificially giving them monetary wealth.

9 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Here are Scotland's billionaires

Glenn Gordon and family - spirits - £2.882bn.

Sir Ian Wood and family - oil services and fishing - £1.763bn.

Mohamed Al Fayed and family - retailing - £1.7bn.

John Shaw and Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw - pharmaceuticals - £1.689bn

Mahdi al-Tajir - metals, oil and Highland Spring water - £1.66bn

Trond Mohn and Marit Mohn Westlake and family - industry - £1.602bn

Thomson family - media - £1.401bn.

Philip Day - fashion - £1.2bn.

The Clark family - of the Arnold Clark car dealership - £1.178bn.

Jim Mellon - property and finance - £1.1bn.

Jim McColl, of Clyde Blowers - £1.1bn.

I wonder if any of them post on P&B

Image result for kenneth williams