Stenhousemuir vs Queen's Park

Expecting to see quite a few changes for Saturday's game, after two poor performances in a row. 

Would like to think being at home, we can play like we did against Waterford and Cove but the last two games haven't really given us much hope. 

The performance and result against Penicuik Athletic was the worst in the 15 years I've been following Stenhousemuir, and it was followed up by a stinking display against Edinburgh City (albeit they're a very handy side). The good feeling since Davie Irons joined the club in September has pretty much disappeared but if ever there's a time to get back on track then it's against a poor Queen's Park team. They haven't won a league game since the middle of August and they've collected just two points from their previous seven league outings; we should have the wherewithal to get the better of them on Saturday.

I don't want to predict a side but I reckon Connor McBride will come in for the suspended Alan Cook and we might see Mark McGuigan dropped to the bench in place of Kieran Anderson. McGuigan's looked out of sorts in the last two games and a short spell on the sidelines might do him good.

If we can't pick something up on Saturday against a low on confidence Stenny side who've been flung about in their last two games, the question would have to be where exactly we can pick up points. Last chance saloon for Mark Roberts, as far as I'm concerned. 

I like to think that I am the eternal optimist (or fool) but I am running out of that optimism about our ability to grind out results under Roberts. I really do hope I am wrong but there is a major problem within the squad. We have the ability and with a bit of luck are quite capable of winning this game. I remember Stennie at Hampden and they were truly awful. That said our record there is abysmal. I have followed Queens for so many years and have seen them pull out a result when it is least expected on many occasions. Saturday will be a day of hope for me rather than expectation.

Several of the team need to take a long hard look at themselves.  McGuigan is definately out of sorts and not just for the last couple of games. I would bench him for a few weeks and go with McBride and Anderson and see how things turn out.  Scullion may come in for Cook.

4 hours ago, an86 said:

If we can't pick something up on Saturday against a low on confidence Stenny side who've been flung about in their last two games, the question would have to be where exactly we can pick up points. Last chance saloon for Mark Roberts, as far as I'm concerned. 

Agreed --- this has to be a game where we can get back some confidence and show the kind of football that we the paying fans deserve --NO HOOFBALL PLEASE!.

"Opinion was split after 3 trophyless seasons, and it's claimed that Ferguson was one game away from the sack in 1990. By the end of the season, United were FA Cup winners. Ferguson would prove his worth by going on to win an incredible 2 Champions League titles, 13 Premier League titles, 5 FA Cups, 4 League Cups and 1 European Cup Winners' Cup."

895987922_QPFC1959.thumb.jpg.d48110896b378f0135ed3b8ec0698367.jpg

Never say never! We're going to win.

15 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

"Opinion was split after 3 trophyless seasons, and it's claimed that Ferguson was one game away from the sack in 1990. By the end of the season, United were FA Cup winners. Ferguson would prove his worth by going on to win an incredible 2 Champions League titles, 13 Premier League titles, 5 FA Cups, 4 League Cups and 1 European Cup Winners' Cup."

895987922_QPFC1959.thumb.jpg.d48110896b378f0135ed3b8ec0698367.jpg

Never say never! We're going to win.

With Sir Alec as striker and Bill Pinkerton in goal! Yeah!

With Sir Alec as striker and Bill Pinkerton in goal! Yeah!

Was thinking about your comment earlier in the week about the defence. A workmate of my son knows Jamieson and told him that he and Little have been pals and a tag team since school. They were certainly a unit at the start of the season. If Roberts goes back to 4 at the back it would be interesting to see if Roberts would put these two in the middle of the back 4.

Seems too obvious that space is getting made for Gibby.

11 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Was thinking about your comment earlier in the week about the defence. A workmate of my son knows Jamieson and told him that he and Little have been pals and a tag team since school. They were certainly a unit at the start of the season. If Roberts goes back to 4 at the back it would be interesting to see if Roberts would put these two in the middle of the back 4.

Seems too obvious that space is getting made for Gibby.

Jamieson and Little are the obvious choices to me. They were excellent at the beginning of the season. Five at the back- bring in Foy or Magee when either fully fit. Gibby has been a great servant but his time is over I'm afraid.

Jamieson and Little are the obvious choices to me. They were excellent at the beginning of the season. Five at the back- bring in Foy or Magee when either fully fit. Gibby has been a great servant but his time is over I'm afraid.
We are sometimes bullied. No one will bully Gibby.

14 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

Wouldn't agree with that at all. I don't think the problem is Gibby or any other individual player. I think we face the problem of not enough experience, players not seeming to know exactly what their role within the system is, and the confidence sapping away as a result of these two factors and the results they are bringing.

Was saying all summer that we were crying out for experienced heads and I've seen nothing to change my mind on that front. Where I do sympathise is that experienced heads are often in high demand and we can't compete with other League Two clubs and, as happened in the summer, junior clubs when it comes to signing these players. 

The more I think about the game, the more convinced we have to return to a back 3 with two wing backs. On an artificial pitch the ball will be moving faster and although Little and Jamieson are big and strong, mobility is the main problem. I would play Clark between them giving us a bit more pace at the back.  For wing backs i'd probably go for Summers and Grant. Up front if Salim is playing, Roberts will need to play either Moore or Agyeman with him as both have a bit of pace and can run onto the balls he wins in the air.

17 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Agreed. The wee man must be flying after his Scotland exploits.

Stenie is usually a good day; looking forward to it.

Away win.

Hope so. I admit I'm somewhat losing faith in the current setup, but one win can change it all. Quinno scoring two late goals at Cliftonhill, when we should have been 4-0 down, always springs to mind. We'd been put out of the cup by Bo'ness and on a pretty dreadful run. Think we went ten or eleven unbeaten on the back of that.