Arbroath vs Alloa

Good performance, good game to watch and another great 3 points. Deserved win we created plenty chances though Alloa certainly had chances themselves but felt we just edged it. Alloa couldn't handle Bobby he was brilliant but all in all another great team effort.

I think we may have finally reached an 11 the majority of fans would consider our strongest; today's 11 with Thomson at RB when back from injury with potential debate over Gaston/ Jamieson.

I thought in the first 30 minutes we were superb and dominated the game with two excellent goals with link up between Boab and Donnelly. Alloa obviously came much more into it but although a difficult watch towards the end we kept our shape and structure very well to see the game out, although Alloa missed an absolute sitter we did have numerous chances ourselves. I'd say another deserved win overall.

Another great home win against a good Alloa side who have had some good results themselves so far this season , I thought Whatley and Gold were superb today ( if only they had played on Tuesday night ) easily the best big Luke has played for us , he's getting more confident each week and we are maybe beginning to see the player the Campbells have been telling us about since January, defensively I thought Hamilton looked out of sorts today , Little and O"brien were solid as usual , Thomson was missed , hopefully he'll be ok for next week , overall a really good team performance and we are showing in my opinion that we really do belong in this division and there is no one we cannot compete with .

David Gold absolutely outstanding effort today, seen him at FT fall to the ground exhausted , love to see his from players giving everything for the club
Agree 100% with this comment, Gold gives his all every time he plays no matter which position he's asked to play , been such a big player for Arbroath past few seasons and doesn't always get the praise that others do .

Whatley unbelievable again, really need to stick with that midfield, perfect balance playing them 3 in the middle, glad to see Donnelly has proved me and a lot of people wrong, he was very good today and the past couple of weeks, hopefully he can kick on, thought Spence played well when he came on too. Thought Stirling was very good defensively today but as soon as he gets forward he doesn’t have a clue what he’s gonna do but a solid player to have an cover for Thompson. Very happy with the start to the season and great to get the win and get a 9 point gap from the bottom of the table.

Alloa still at gayf trying to pass it out from the back

[emoji23][emoji23]

Pass to one centre half, looks for a forward pass but can't see one...back to the goalie, goalie passes out to the other centre half...... hoofed up the line Arbroath throw

Fucking useless

Absolutely superb yesterday, The whole team were fantastic and was great to get the 3 points, Definitely looks like we have found our starting 11.  Massive win as it gives us some cushion away from the teams at the bottom, Goldy Linn and Whatley were immense but the whole team tbh were really Brilliant, We looked really fit and had loads of energy, When we went 2-0 up I thought it was going to be a long day for Alloa but credit to them they battled back like they always do, Could have been 5-1 up with the chances we missed In the second half which then made the last 10-15 mins nerve wracking but was chuffed to bits we held on and get the much deserved victory, 6 points already this quarter and if we are looking at getting 11 at each stage we look well on our way with 6 still left to play Until the half way point, Mon the smokies 🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

Edited by 36-0 Maroon

5 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

emoji23.pngemoji23.png

Pass to one centre half, looks for a forward pass but can't see one...back to the goalie, goalie passes out to the other centre half...... hoofed up the line Arbroath throw

Fucking useless

But mind Peter Grant wants them playing like Barcelona with the ball and Atletico Madrid without it 🙊🙄💩

Good win and another 3 points in the bag but, as Jimmy Greaves said "It's a funny old game". 

We started well and Bobby Linn did what Bobby Linn does, scores a goal and sets one up for Donnelly. Two goals up and cruising then we seemed to back off and play deeper, allowed Alloa into the game and gifted them a goal. Roll on half time.

Second half started much as the first had ended with Alloa pressing, but the gods of the Inchcape end were smiling on us again. Two games in a row the opposition have missed sitters at  that end and saved us from dropping points. We came back into the game and created a few chances but couldn't finish them off but in the end a deserved win. Great position to be in in the league at this point in the season, better than maybe could have been expected at the start of the season. It will be a hard game next week but I don't think any team will now be coming to Gayfield expecting to have a stroll in the park.

Edited by SotesBornalichtie

Great result, we need to stop sitting back after going a few goals up though as that may lead to luck changing, done the same against thistle too. Bobby Linn was class again as was big Luke, and great to see an overall solid performance from the team Whatley great in the middle of the park and Ricky Little, just a solid reliable and consisten graft from him as always. We shouldnt be sitting on a 2 goal lead against teams like Alloa, i get that against other full time teams, we need to remember we are as good as most others in this league on their day.

2 hours ago, 36-0 Maroon said:

But mind Peter Grant wants them playing like Barcelona with the ball and Atletico Madrid without it 🙊🙄💩

People like to have a wee laugh at that comment and that's fair enough, but Alloa have been a passing team for years, and well before Peter Grant arrived. 

I'll be interested to see what the Alloa fans who were at the game have to say. Perhaps players on the bench are carrying injuries, but it looked like a rather strange line up to me. 

People like to have a wee laugh at that comment and that's fair enough, but Alloa have been a passing team for years, and well before Peter Grant arrived. 
I'll be interested to see what the Alloa fans who were at the game have to say. Perhaps players on the bench are carrying injuries, but it looked like a rather strange line up to me. 

Alloa played some nice football yesterday (as did we) and the goal was lovely but just as it was at The Recs in the first game absolutely hopeless trying to play it out to the centre halves from the goalie.

7 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Alloa played some nice football yesterday (as did we) and the goal was lovely but just as it was at The Recs in the first game absolutely hopeless trying to play it out to the centre halves from the goalie.

As I said, we have been doing that under the past few managers. I don't think there is any reason to change, it generally works well and suits our players. At the moment though our attacking options and squad depth in general are significantly weaker than last season, and indeed the promotion winning team. Manager will need to address that to give us a decent shot at staying up again. But I have no issue with the passing game that has served us so well. 

I didn’t think we were particularly great yesterday and at times we looked like we were out of ideas. It’s quite clear that the diamond just isnt working for us at the minute and we are much more comfortable with the 4-2-3-1. We could really do with Dick and Cawley back as well ASAP, especially cawley as his energy is something we really miss.

The bigger picture is that despite the fact we haven’t really been great this season, we still have more points and wins than we did at this point last season, with a lot less luck with injuries and suspensions, and there is still a long way to go. A couple of signings and a couple of players back from injury and were in decent shape. People calling for Grant’s head is just bizzare.

Bobby Linn was excellent yesterday as well, the main difference between the teams.

Highlights up on AFC website for those who don’t do twitter/Facebook. Really good work from Whatley and Donnelly for the first goal, think Jamie MacDonald could have done better with Bobby’s effort. Whatley has been very good this season IMO, has always played his best football in a midfield 3. Second goal is a good pass from Miko, but what a touch to leave Taggart (?) for dead. Good finish from LD as well. Alloa’s goal was decent as well and turned the match in their favour, although as Dick said I think we had more chances than Alloa did. Felt a bit sorry for Spence when bobby couldn’t quite find him where he would’ve had a tap in, absolutely nothing going his way. Gold the man of the match for me, ran himself into the ground and is IMO arguably our most important player, given the way we want to play. League table looking very pleasing now but a long way to go yet [emoji4]