East Fife vs Montrose

Hats off to Montrose, they battled for everything all over the park. Well organised, were always going to be hard to beat. Gifting them the eventual winner though, has us looking back to the silly mistakes and decision making that derailed us last season.

I have to agree the 2 changes over the past 2 games have certainly not improved the team. Maybe it's just me, but no Pat, no win!

Perhaps a few more attempts from the edge of the box might bring more joy. Make the keeper earn the points. Having said that, the touch over save was goalbound I think from Davidson.

That was fucking horrendous!!!
Montrose played to their strengths but are absolute gang (although a very well organised gang) and should have been put to the sword by half time, how many chances did Denholm miss???
Montrose played as we expected them to play, come out all guns blazing straight from kick off, play a high tempo fast passing game, hope to capitalise and when they start to run out of energy, close ranks and defend like beasts and support each other and that is exactly how it played out!!!
Without Wallace we seem to lack the guile or fluidity to break teams down especially teams that put 10 men behind the ball, Boyd flatters to deceive imo, but is still not match fit so will reserve judgement on him but he seems unable to team up with Tonks effectively and big Anton needs a partner he can feed off, which Wallace obviously does!!!
Yet another f**k-up for an opposition goal, when was the last time we lost a goal that wasn’t down to an individual error or a defensive lapse, I’m struggling to think???
Anyway well done Montrose I think they deserved it more than us, we were a shambles and didn’t look like doing anything until the introduction of the subs, if DY was content not to change his unbeaten side then surely after a defeat it’s time to inject some freshness into what was becoming a very stale side, I thought Janny was excellent when he came on and surely worth a start next week, get #PatSlatt back in, don’t know what he’s done to be dropped and surely Watt proves he should be there as well!!!
We missed a big chance today, Raith getting pumped layed it on a plate for us to go top and we couldn’t take it, very disappointing, especially in what looked like our largest League home crowd (outwith the Raith games) in a while, hope they come back!!!

Superb win for Montrose....5 in a row!Hats off to East Fife real good team and no surprise their up with the squad they have.All credit to Sp and the team though what a turnaround it's been last couple weeks.

Some energy and work rate from that Montrose team I thought if they went in front and had something to hold onto we would struggle. Just couldn’t get a break in front of goal. Ryan Wallace a big miss as he can create out of nothing. Some borderline tackles by the Mo as they tried to break the game up at every opportunity. The hard thing to take from our point of view is the manner the goal was lost. No need to take risks like that at the back.  Don’t think many teams will fancy playing the Mo as you will need to be up for a physical battle. Would have said a draw would have been a fair result.

That was fucking horrendous!!!
Montrose played to their strengths but are absolute gang (although a very well organised gang) and should have been put to the sword by half time, how many chances did Denholm miss???
Montrose played as we expected them to play, come out all guns blazing straight from kick off, play a high tempo fast passing game, hope to capitalise and when they start to run out of energy, close ranks and defend like beasts and support each other and that is exactly how it played out!!!
Without Wallace we seem to lack the guile or fluidity to break teams down especially teams that put 10 men behind the ball, Boyd flatters to deceive imo, but is still not match fit so will reserve judgement on him but he seems unable to team up with Tonks effectively and big Anton needs a partner he can feed off, which Wallace obviously does!!!
Yet another f**k-up for an opposition goal, when was the last time we lost a goal that wasn’t down to an individual error or a defensive lapse, I’m struggling to think???
Anyway well done Montrose I think they deserved it more than us, we were a shambles and didn’t look like doing anything until the introduction of the subs, if DY was content not to change his unbeaten side then surely after a defeat it’s time to inject some freshness into what was becoming a very stale side, I thought Janny was excellent when he came on and surely worth a start next week, get #PatSlatt back in, don’t know what he’s done to be dropped and surely Watt proves he should be there as well!!!
We missed a big chance today, Raith getting pumped layed it on a plate for us to go top and we couldn’t take it, very disappointing, especially in what looked like our largest League home crowd (outwith the Raith games) in a while, hope they come back!!!

Agree with all this.

All our problems today came down the left! Both fullbacks were poor and two good ones on the bench! Clearly a horrendous mistake but hard to criticise both Central Defenders as have been excellent.

We need Wallace back asap-Boyd can nick a goal but way off the pace - should of released ball at least 4 times... but we cant miss those early chances and not regret it.

My worry is our midfield. ( as other areas will improve when players back from injuries)The Aberdeen loanee dominated the midfield. We are way too slow and don’t have the strength- and As i predicted at home cant keep pace with the opposition and so don’t protect the back line and don’t support the forwards- we always have the defence on too many 121 ‘s at home.

Should of been well ahead but once they scored- they were never in danger and could of grabbed a few others.

Think Montrose deserved their win- feels like last year- we win our games up there and they win their games at New Bayview...

Some overeaction here. Today's performance was certainly not "horrendous".

The defeat was self-inflicted in the sense we missed several chances and gifted then their goa. But it certainly wasn't horrendous as we created lots of chances and in the first half in particular played lots of attractive football.

The amateur managers on here simply confirm they've  made the right career choice.

Edited by faither

Some overeaction here. Today's performance was certainly not "horrendous".
The defeat was self-inflicted in the sense we missed several chances and gifted then their goa. But it certainly wasn't horrendous as we created lots of chances and in the first half in particular played lots of attractive football.
The amateur managers on here simply confirm they've  made the right career choice.

Said the mistake was horrendous-not the performance...

The run continues[emoji3][emoji3]. Could’ve been 2 down in the first 5 mins but thankfully Danny Denholm had one of those days in front of goal. That said Webby nearly scored in the first 5 and Liam missed a sitter shortly after when 1 on 1 with the keeper. Pretty even after that until Winker robs a player in midfield and Webby rattles it home. Nearly scored again shortly after but Joel scuffed a great chance wide. Second half was like watching us in the promotion season .. solid and hitting on the break. We could’ve had a couple more. Aaron (he’s getting better every game) pulled of a great save to tip one over late on but other than that East Fife huffed and puffed without really threatening much. Thoroughly enjoyed that today .. let’s make it 6 on the bounce against the Bridie munchers next week.

Today did some up some of the weaknesses we've shown over the season. Should have been well ahead after an initial period of dominance, creating plenty chances. Didn't put the opposition to the sword and then gifted them an opener.

Fair play to Montrose though. 5 in a row is a great achievement and they are obviously flying. Worked incredibly hard for that and they're a very decent team.

We definitely miss something when Wallace isn't on the pitch. The goals have really dried up since he's been out. Animal sacrifices will be made this week to ensure he's fit for the Dumbarton game.

Some overeaction here. Today's performance was certainly not "horrendous". The defeat was self-inflicted in the sense we missed several chances and gifted then their goa. But it certainly wasn't horrendous as we created lots of chances and in the first half in particular played lots of attractive football. The amateur managers on here simply confirm they've  made the right career choice.    

“Played lots of attractive football” 

Has the Doctor got you on the Happy Pills again faither, or perhaps you nodded off and were dreaming about Brazil circa 1970 again??? 

We didn’t create lots of chances, we had two shots on target the entire game, both long range efforts from Davidson, everything else was either blazed high or wide and we most certainly did not play attractive football, the chances we did have, especially in the first half were created because Denholm was able to run faster than their fullback not because Pirlo had signed for us and was stroking passes around the park with gay abandon!!!

Montrose had more possession than us in the first half and used it better, they were quicker to the ball, they supported each other and they forced us into playing how the wanted us to play, simply put they stymied and outgunned us in the midfield, Agnew could only run about in circles as he was man marked the entire game, Dunsmore was running into three players whenever he had the ball and their centre backs simply bullied Anton until he (finally) started putting his own weight about!!!

The second half was pretty much of the same until Watson and Watt came on and we finally took control of the game but even then it still ended up with punts into the box!!!

It was horrendous to watch (you put the word “performance” in, not me)!!!

Yesterday we huffed and puffed and all we could create were two long range efforts in goal. Montrose's defence didn't put a foot wrong yesterday. Normally you'll get a mis- kicked clearance or poor header at this level to give you half a chance. Up front though, Niang, didn't seem to have the confidence to shoot, McBeath seemed unable to hit the target, unfortunately for us Webster has both.

With our record of going on runs, (good and bad) and the fact it's our bogy team, I expect a defeat next week also, we then have a free week, before the cup tie. Hopefully gives a few with niggles a break. We've seen DY's plan of not changing a winning team work well, the past 2 seasons though, when things go wrong he's not been able to find a way of getting back on track. It remains to be seen if he has the ideas, or players to get back to winning ways. Still, only 1 point off the top, lots to be proud of so far.

Well done to the Mo, 5 wins on the bounce after 5 defeats is some run, that all seems a bit 'East Fifey'!

Edited by Life on Marrs?

Respect to East Fife and their fans. Despite their defeat I think they played some good football but have the same problem as many other clubs which is the lack of a finisher up top. We had and still have the same problem at the Mo but we're playing a young lad up there who is on loan and very much on a learning curve, What you must do in those circumstances is provide support from midfield and out wide on both flanks. That in my opinion made the difference yesterday, Mo did that and East Fife didn't as far as tactics are concerned. The other obvious difference which was nothing to do with tactics is that East Fife made one error in defence and Montrose didn't. 

Will be interesting to see the highlights, I’d looking forward to seeing if the very last chance of the game, the header at the back post, was actually headed off the line by a defender or by Denholm!!!

Also what was the attendance, seemed like a good crowd???

6 minutes ago, Best Team in Angus said:

Any reason you did not copy the BBC stats this week😂

Forgot to do it at half time so didn’t see the point at full time but seeing you missed them here you go...

51642CEF-AE09-4797-A359-FC72B56483E8.jpeg