VPNs

• 9 months later...
9 hours ago, Eednud said:

I gave up on VPN as couldn’t get regular access to BBC iPlayer so switched to a Smart DNS and haven’t had any major issues since. I use Getflix https://www.getflix.com

I thought all of the Smart DNS services had given up, to be honest. Used to be brilliant a few years ago before Netflix started getting ahead of them then forcing their payment providers to drop them

6 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I - eventually - went with NordVPN and it's done everything I've wanted from it since.

Finding them better this year, zero problems getting UK telly and most gambling sites in Portugal, was a bit hit and miss last time I was away. Also fine for US stuff back home.

6 hours ago, Mr X said:

I thought all of the Smart DNS services had given up, to be honest. Used to be brilliant a few years ago before Netflix started getting ahead of them then forcing their payment providers to drop them

Seem to be popular here.

Seem to be popular here.
I didnt realise but I'd signed up for Getflix before. I don't actually remember why I stopped using it.

It's weird it's even still going. Netflix went after the DNS switching sites pretty hard a few years ago. When they realised blocking the ips only worked until the sites found new ones they went to the payment providers and put pressure on them to cut the sites off.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
2 minutes ago, gaz5 said:
1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:
Needing a bit of advice.  Does the Nord VPN work through the router or on individual devices?

Usually an app on individual devices, rather than the router.

Do you know of a good VPN for a router?

Depends on the router. Some VPN's only support certain hardware. I dabbled with trying to get IPVanish on mine, but in the end it was such a PITA that I just installed the app on the individual devices and used it that way.

I don't feel I need it for everything.

Also helps that way when I'm out and about/on holiday, as I already then have the app installed on my phones/tablets/laptops.

No idea about Nordvpn with a router, but my contract is just running out and they tried to charge me something like £100 a year automatically from my debit card to renew it. Thankfully I have a new card so they couldn't, so I'm waiting for them to offer me a better deal more like the introductory offer which was about a quarter of that. Just a heads up. Find their service excellent otherwise though.

Edited by welshbairn

Pretty much what Gaz said, its do-able but a pain.
If you really want to do it then I would look at buying a separate hardware VPN or a managed switch that supports something like OpenVPN. The latter should be cheaper but will be a pain and make sure you double check compatibility before you buy the switch unlike someone else :whistle

Eta - that was based on wired devices. Covering wireless as well would need something different

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Much appreciated, though I understood about 25% of that!

Sounds like it would be a lot easier installing your VPN on your individual devices than to your router. NordVPN allows 6. Here's a really annoying American giving the options.

https://nordvpn.com/blog/setup-vpn-router/?_ga=2.65865134.1284277362.1640866082-1408972081.1640094279

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Ended up getting Nord, very impressive for the most part though some idiosyncrasies.  Using it on a fire stick for a smart tv is the best way to achieve maximum efficiency.

They have a number of servers in the UK so if one doesn't work well it's worth switching it off and on again as it should randomly select another.