VPNs

Anyone use a VPN? Anyone recommend them? After hearing a lot about them recently I considered it until I realised they were both paid for and had all your details going to the VPN company, rather than an anonymous unscrupulous shyster. Are these the front for data harvesting they seem like to me, or are they worthwhile?

I'm currently having IP issues accessing a specific website, so that's the main reason for my sudden interest.

Theres some recommendations on this thread

ETA - although, on checking, that thread is a bit old. Theres been some VPN chat in another thread more recently, I just cant remember which one :unsure2:

ETETA - it was the Netflix thread in the TV forum and the only recommendation really was Nord, apart from one I found that was aimed at Netflix users and region changing

Edited by Mr X

I've used a few. Private Internet Access, Express VPN & currently using Nord VPN. Can't say I've noticed a massive difference in service/speed levels and my main motivation for jumping around providers has been price. A lot of them do cheap introductory or renewal offers. If you're going to be using Netflix etc then they seem to be cracking down on this. I've found it difficult to get Nord to work with Netflix although admittedly I haven't made a massive effort on this as it is not my primary reason for using a VPN. I've never really had any concerns over data harvesting. Yeah they have all your information but in this day and age so do loads of other people.

Edited by EH75

22 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Anyone use a VPN? Anyone recommend them? After hearing a lot about them recently I considered it until I realised they were both paid for and had all your details going to the VPN company, rather than an anonymous unscrupulous shyster. Are these the front for data harvesting they seem like to me, or are they worthwhile?

I'm currently having IP issues accessing a specific website, so that's the main reason for my sudden interest.

Been with Private Internet Access for a few years now and not had any problems. There support is good too.

There are a few freebies around but they tend to be pretty crap - only interested in getting you to upgrade to paying.  If you go for one of them read their 'super special offers' on upgrades carefully. they sound good but only after you sign up do you find out that the countries IP you had been using on their free service isn't included in your upgrade package and to get it requires a further upgrade.

41 minutes ago, Kamenitza said:

Been with Private Internet Access for a few years now and not had any problems. There support is good too.

There are a few freebies around but they tend to be pretty crap - only interested in getting you to upgrade to paying.  If you go for one of them read their 'super special offers' on upgrades carefully. they sound good but only after you sign up do you find out that the countries IP you had been using on their free service isn't included in your upgrade package and to get it requires a further upgrade.

Gave up on PIA as it was useless at accessing UK restricted sites from abroad. Nord is much better but if you want the BBC or gambling sites you sometimes to try a few IP addresses before it works. Some like Bet365 are super efficient and block you straightaway. Think I pay about £3 a month.

Currently use mulladvpn which I've been very happy with & had zero issues & is fully open source. Used airvpn prior to that which I can't recall any glaring issues with & nordvpn before that. I wouldn't recommended nordvpn in light of the recently disclosed data breach & their response to it:

https://techcrunch.com/2019/10/21/nordvpn-confirms-it-was-hacked/

Edited by GNU_Linux

I'd be careful with NordVPN, I have a membership (they fucked up and gave me 3 years for the price of 1 month), but they have had a bit of negative PR recently. They were hacked and withheld it from the public for 18 months which is a bit of a poor show. Less of a concern if you're using it to get round a geo block, maybe not ideal to use if you're trying to get round the great firewall. https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2019/10/23/hacker-breached-servers-used-by-nordvpn/

Just saw the above post, as it says ^

Edited by Netan Sansara

Gave up on PIA as it was useless at accessing UK restricted sites from abroad. Nord is much better but if you want the BBC or gambling sites you sometimes to try a few IP addresses before it works. Some like Bet365 are super efficient and block you straightaway. Think I pay about £3 a month.

Be very wary about using any gambling sites with a VPN, my mate won £3k on LeoVegas when he was out working in Uzbekistan and they never paid out. It’s in the T&C on all sites if you use one it will void the winnings

5 minutes ago, YHallSaint said:

Be very wary about using any gambling sites with a VPN, my mate won £3k on LeoVegas when he was out working in Uzbekistan and they never paid out. It’s in the T&C on all sites if you use one it will void the winnin
gs

On my rare occasions of winning it hasn't been a problem. Probably better to wait till you get home to withdraw the winnings, but I take your point.

2 hours ago, Mr X said:

Mate at work recommended Pure VPN. Just about to give them a go. They've got a special offer on just now, $11 for a year.

Claim to be fast and you can do network splitting, so only send certain apps through the VPN

Bit meh to be honest. Speed wasnt great - about half my regular internet speed - and a bit slower than mulladvpn, which I also tried

Neither of which worked with Netflix :( 

ETA - apparently Pure works with Netflix but you've got to go to the site via the VPN app

Edited by Mr X

I thought NORD was rubbish. I could rarely get connected to anywhere, so cancelled my subscription.

Used to have Tunnelbear but had to cancel as it wouldn’t work with RedTV.

I have Kaspersky Internet Security so just subscribed to their Secure Connection. It’s cheap and been excellent so far. No issues whatsoever.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...