Airdrie v Dumbarton

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Shiels is the only real replacement for Rico tbh. Disappointed to see Langan on the bench though.

That's true. And we haven't seen him at left-back, but I'm not convinced at all. He looks big and quick...but that aside really not sharp enough at all.

I'd have been tempted to put Carsy there (or at RB and switch Tumilty) and bring Langan into centre-mid.

Mad that we had fans who didn't rate Calum Gallagher because he runs funny. The difference between him and Layne is night and day.

Anyway, the comical early season defending returned today and we got exactly what we deserved. Fair play to Airdrie though, I thought they were largely excellent - very well organised, hardworking, fit and could've added a few more. Gallagher, Smith, Carrick and even Ally Roy is some serious strength in depth going forward too. We can only dream of that sort of thing.

35 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

IMad that we had fans who didn't rate Calum Gallagher because he runs funny. The difference between him and Layne is night and day.

Anyway, the comical early season defending returned today and we got exactly what we deserved. Fair play to Airdrie though, I thought they were largely excellent - very well organised, hardworking, fit and could've added a few more. Gallagher, Smith, Carrick and even Ally Roy is some serious strength in depth going forward too. We can only dream of that sort of thing.

At last Ian Murray is playing him at CF but Gallagher also works really hard on the defensive side of the game. He does run funny but since we went to Smith and Carrick either side and working with pace, he has got the goals he deserves. The middle of the park was much better for us today until maybe the last 15 minutes when Dumbarton did put us under some pressure. Layne got very little out of our back four although I thought McCluskey had some good play in that last spell. Dumbarton made some errors and we took advantage of that. Tumilty's goal did come a wee bit out of the blue but Airdrie did not lose the plot like they did against Montrose-after a similar very early goal. It was one of the few games where Ian Murray let his winning side (apart from Hutton) start the match . Hutton also had a super save at 3-1 which might have altered the game-I doubt if our other goalie would have done it. I thought  Kyle Hutton had a good game and looks fitter than when he was here but Carslaw reminded me of Forbes last week at Forfar in his constant moaning at all and sundry. Indeed he might well have got a Red for that late foul. Falkirk go top and that's our next game while the Fifers lose and Montrose go 5 in a row. What a league! 

Edited by Chapelhall chap
spelling error

Mad that we had fans who didn't rate Calum Gallagher because he runs funny. The difference between him and Layne is night and day.
Isaac Layne's shortcomings shouldn't be allowed to inflate what was, with the exception of the final third of last season, a fairly mediocre time at Dumbarton for Calum Gallagher.

As for today's game, Airdrie deserved it but they were hardly stellar and were the beneficiaries of some truly woeful defending - the goalkeeping at the first two goals was particularly dire.

12 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Isaac Layne's shortcomings shouldn't be allowed to inflate what was, with the exception of the final third of last season, a fairly mediocre time at Dumbarton for Calum Gallagher.

As for today's game, Airdrie deserved it but they were hardly stellar and were the beneficiaries of some truly woeful defending - the goalkeeping at the first two goals was particularly dire.

Trying my best not to gloat big D

Failing....

AIRDEREIE

Calum Gallagher is not a good football player. I’m not saying Layne is outstanding but what you’ve got to remember is Gallagher played up front alongside/ around Dom Thomas who created/ put chances on a plate for Gallagher. Layne’s hold up play and physicality is far superior, baring in mind he is completely alone up front for us. Its not his fault he is isolated when he brings the ball in without a single player within 10 yards of him. If Gallagher played up front in our current side he would not be as effective as Layne.

We were stinking today. Hutton and Layne are the only two that weren’t bad today. Frizzell buzzed about and worked hard to no avail. Airdrie very organised and sharp. Poor, poor goals to concede, defensively weak and Brennan should’ve dealt with two of them better.

Don’t understand the abuse of Murray also. The guy gave us the best season/ team of my lifetime and folk are absolutely seething at him leaving his technical area a few times. Laughable.

Shambolic is the word that springs to mind for the defending in the first half. I can't remember the second goal but the first and third were diabolical. The bump between Neill and whoever it was, was reminiscent of Miller/Hansen at the 82 World Cup. At least we managed to improve in the second half although it wasn't difficult. I feel like we've missed a good opportunity (with EF and RR losing today) to move into a great position just behind the top three and maybe see where it could take us.