Airdrie v Dumbarton

I must have attended a different game from many people on Saturday, as I honestly don't recall any significant error on the part of the officials.

And Sarti Pooh is spot on with his post. The hysterical screeching at Ian Murray was bordering on embarrassing, and had much more to do with fans' frustration at seeing their team go down than Murray prowling about the touchline.

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I must have attended a different game from many people on Saturday, as I honestly don't recall any significant error on the part of the officials.

And Sarti Pooh is spot on with his post. The hysterical screeching at Ian Murray was bordering on embarrassing, and had much more to do with fans' frustration at seeing their team go down than Murray prowling about the touchline.

Imagine he'd waved to the Airdrie fans.

Brennan, Neil and Shiels made to look like absolute fools in those highlights.

We desperately need January to roll around asap so we can punt that donkey Shiels back to Rangers, sign a competent goalkeeper and sign a new striker.

Whenever Pettigrew played (can't remember the game) I thought he looked miles off the standard required so I wouldn't be hugely confident with him starting, despite Brennan being largely pish.

On 02/11/2019 at 18:43, FraserDFC said:

Calum Gallagher is not a good football player. I’m not saying Layne is outstanding but what you’ve got to remember is Gallagher played up front alongside/ around Dom Thomas who created/ put chances on a plate for Gallagher. Layne’s hold up play and physicality is far superior, baring in mind he is completely alone up front for us. Its not his fault he is isolated when he brings the ball in without a single player within 10 yards of him. If Gallagher played up front in our current side he would not be as effective as Layne.

We were stinking today. Hutton and Layne are the only two that weren’t bad today. Frizzell buzzed about and worked hard to no avail. Airdrie very organised and sharp. Poor, poor goals to concede, defensively weak and Brennan should’ve dealt with two of them better.

Don’t understand the abuse of Murray also. The guy gave us the best season/ team of my lifetime and folk are absolutely seething at him leaving his technical area a few times. Laughable.

I think one of Laynes weaknesses is his hold up play.  Never wins a header and never jumps/attempts to jump.  Big strong fella like him should be doing better.

The things I would do to get a 15-17 Gary Fleming up there....

12 hours ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

Comments on referees can be made whether your team wins or loses, what a bizarre stance.

He was awful in the way he got dozens of decisions wrong throughout the game. As I said though, none of them influenced the outcome of the game. We absolutely deserved to lose our defending and goalkeeping was amateurish from start to finish. Doesn’t mean the referee wasn’t awful though, which he was.

He didn't seem any better or worse than any other referee I've seen this season.  Then again, like the majority of fans who comment on refereeing online, I'm pretty ignorant of the rules of the game.

17 hours ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

Comments on referees can be made whether your team wins or loses, what a bizarre stance.

He was awful in the way he got dozens of decisions wrong throughout the game. As I said though, none of them influenced the outcome of the game. We absolutely deserved to lose our defending and goalkeeping was amateurish from start to finish. Doesn’t mean the referee wasn’t awful though, which he was.

Went off to watch Sportscene "highlights" so missed seeing your post till today. I have stopped commenting on the refs when we lose because it is usually a deflection from the other reasons why we lost-poor play and better play by the other team.I also agree that most of your problems stemmed from player decisions on Saturday. I was not suggesting that other people should do the same and maybe I did not express myself well enough. I am genuinely puzzled at your reaction to his refereeing. If you are correct in "dozens" then that is at least 24 wrong decisions and I am struggling to understand your exaggeration.  Which decisions really upset you?  In our long spell in L1 I have seen many worse referees and even more awful players so maybe you had better quality in your well merited spell in the Championship.

2 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Went off to watch Sportscene "highlights" so missed seeing your post till today. I have stopped commenting on the refs when we lose because it is usually a deflection from the other reasons why we lost-poor play and better play by the other team.I also agree that most of your problems stemmed from player decisions on Saturday. I was not suggesting that other people should do the same and maybe I did not express myself well enough. I am genuinely puzzled at your reaction to his refereeing. If you are correct in "dozens" then that is at least 24 wrong decisions and I am struggling to understand your exaggeration.  Which decisions really upset you?  In our long spell in L1 I have seen many worse referees and even more awful players so maybe you had better quality in your well merited spell in the Championship.

Well said. I thought the ref was not bad and he did the Sons a favour not sending of the number 6 for persistant fouling and even more his persistant shouting at the ref lol. 

Can't remember who it was or his number but whoever it was that fouled MacDonald was lucky to stay on the park. Foul itself certainly worth a booking and considering Crighton got booked for the handbags after which he played an equal part in there could've been no complaints if he saw red (i.e. two bookable offences). Clearly I'm biased as an Airdrie fan but I cannot think of a single instance where the ref either let us away with something or harshly punished Dumbarton. Don't think any of the numerous Dumbarton fans complaining have actually described a single error either, seems a bit like sore loser syndrome to me.

I think one of Laynes weaknesses is his hold up play.  Never wins a header and never jumps/attempts to jump.  Big strong fella like him should be doing better.

Layne's obviously scored a few this season so he has something but he made Crighton look like a superstar on Saturday. Didn't jump for a single header and Crighton beat him easily every time. Contrast that with our front three who haven't scored as many individually but worked their socks off to great effect.

12 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Can't remember who it was or his number but whoever it was that fouled MacDonald was lucky to stay on the park. Foul itself certainly worth a booking and considering Crighton got booked for the handbags after which he played an equal part in there could've been no complaints if he saw red (i.e. two bookable offences). Clearly I'm biased as an Airdrie fan but I cannot think of a single instance where the ref either let us away with something or harshly punished Dumbarton. Don't think any of the numerous Dumbarton fans complaining have actually described a single error either, seems a bit like sore loser syndrome to me.

Judging by what the referee was saying he booked Crighton more for sprinting however many yards to get involved rather than anything he actually did.

I agree though, the ref was fine. Gave a foul in the second-half without deciding who it was actually a foul on, but that aside it didn't strike me for a minute that he played in role in us being unable to defend fairly routine situations.

12 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Layne's obviously scored a few this season so he has something but he made Crighton look like a superstar on Saturday. Didn't jump for a single header and Crighton beat him easily every time. Contrast that with our front three who haven't scored as many individually but worked their socks off to great effect.

That's what Layne is like 90% of the time. Every so often he'll ragdoll a defender and do something fantastic, but he doens't show it anywhere near enough for me - and if we had one of the Airdrie front three in our squad we'd be a whole lot stronger.

Fwiw he's got six this season which is the same as Smith and Carrick, and two fewer than Gallagher. Hasn't scored from open play in seven and it's starting to show. 

A striker has to be the main priority for Duffy this January imo.

13 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

He never jumps, doesn't even do that thing that some players do where they pretend they are going to go for the ball in the air.

Few of his goals were tap ins and I'm sure there was a penalty or two in there.  

Not a fan at all.

26 minutes ago, Thommo90 said:

He never jumps, doesn't even do that thing that some players do where they pretend they are going to go for the ball in the air.

Few of his goals were tap ins and I'm sure there was a penalty or two in there.  

Not a fan at all.

Layne's scored two great headers this year, has he not?

He's not the worst in the air, but he's far better taking the ball in on his chest or feet and turning defenders, to me that's a supply/support issue rather than Layne being useless. If we lumped balls at Tierney all game we'd bemoan the service so I don't think it should be excused because Layne is a bit bigger - it's not his game to win flick ons and aerial duels, lets play to his strengths. Case in point is the Peterhead match, the one time we got the ball into Layne's feet he rolled his man and squared for McGeever to score what was our only real clear cut chance of the match.

10 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Layne's scored two great headers this year, has he not?

He's not the worst in the air, but he's far better taking the ball in on his chest or feet and turning defenders, to me that's a supply/support issue rather than Layne being useless. If we lumped balls at Tierney all game we'd bemoan the service so I don't think it should be excused because Layne is a bit bigger - it's not his game to win flick ons and aerial duels, lets play to his strengths. Case in point is the Peterhead match, the one time we got the ball into Layne's feet he rolled his man and squared for McGeever to score what was our only real clear cut chance of the match.

This.

We need to work with what we’ve got for the time being - and that’s a striker who prefers balls to feet or chest, irrespective of his height.

Missile after missile aimed at the c**t’s head isn’t going to result in anything but the same dismal outcome.