General Election 2019 - AND IT’S LIVE!

Frank Grimes

X in the box for   

467 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Given that I've seen Johnson answer questions on a phone-in, I'm inclined to think he doesn't need to lip read.

A matter of mutual respect would be to serve the constituents who pay his MPs salary, regardless of their choice of attire. If using derogatory language against people that have less of a public soapbox than he does is 'satire', then I must have missed satire being the art of poking at the wealthy and powerful rather than punching down the way; it would seem to me to be the opposite.

19 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

Given that I've seen Johnson answer questions on a phone-in, I'm inclined to think he doesn't need to lip read.

A matter of mutual respect would be to serve the constituents who pay his MPs salary, regardless of their choice of attire. If using derogatory language against people that have less of a public soapbox than he does is 'satire', then I must have missed satire being the art of poking at the wealthy and powerful rather than punching down the way; it would seem to me to be the opposite.

It's interesting just how prejudiced and ignorant you appear to be getting here. 

I have no idea whether Boris Johnson has perfect hearing or not but I can tell you that in a works medical around 7 or 8 years ago they told me I had lost around 50% - 60% of my hearing. I would imagine my hearing has worsened since then. Yet I can use a phone without any problem at all, especially one where I can adjust the volume or wear a headset. I don't wear a hearing aid however I understand from my mates father in law who goes to the football with us, that they are wonderful pieces of technology these days. His tiny in ear hearing aid apparently can tune in to his TV whilst ensuring he cannot hear his wife talking to him. Yet if you saw either of us you would struggle to know that anything was wrong with our hearing. 

The problem is that when conversing with another person it's kind of difficult to ask them to turn up the volume, and it's impossible to drown out all background noise where it exists. 

If you were to visit me and you covered your mouth whilst speaking I would ask you to remove your hand from your mouth so I can see what you are saying. I doubt you'd take much offence although you never know these days. However writing in an opinion piece for the Telegraph that he thought it should be OK to ask people to remove their face coverings before surgery or at schools and universities apparently makes Boris Johnson "racist human scum", and "not fit for leadership", whilst Ken Livingstons far more offensive insistence that Aldolf Hitler was once a fan of Zionism hardly resonates amongst the same people. 

You also make the mistake in your latest post of misunderstanding the term "satire" - the dictionary definition of which is the use of humour, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.

I can see why Johnsons references might be seen as satirical - even if not well chosen. 

2 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

I am not questioning your hearing. I am asserting I do not believe Boris Johnson needs to lip read. Please stop writing screeds of irrelevance on this matter.

You are arguing that Boris Johnson is a racist because you once saw him on a phone in, which in your mind proves beyond all doubt that he doesn't need to see someones lips to be able to communicate. Tell me, if someone came to my place of work wearing a burqa should I have to disclose my disability before requesting that she remove her face covering so I can understand her? 

13 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

It's interesting just how prejudiced and ignorant you appear to be getting here. 

I have no idea whether Boris Johnson has perfect hearing or not but I can tell you that in a works medical around 7 or 8 years ago they told me I had lost around 50% - 60% of my hearing. I would imagine my hearing has worsened since then. Yet I can use a phone without any problem at all, especially one where I can adjust the volume or wear a headset. I don't wear a hearing aid however I understand from my mates father in law who goes to the football with us, that they are wonderful pieces of technology these days. His tiny in ear hearing aid apparently can tune in to his TV whilst ensuring he cannot hear his wife talking to him. Yet if you saw either of us you would struggle to know that anything was wrong with our hearing. 

The problem is that when conversing with another person it's kind of difficult to ask them to turn up the volume, and it's impossible to drown out all background noise where it exists. 

If you were to visit me and you covered your mouth whilst speaking I would ask you to remove your hand from your mouth so I can see what you are saying. I doubt you'd take much offence although you never know these days. However writing in an opinion piece for the Telegraph that he thought it should be OK to ask people to remove their face coverings before surgery or at schools and universities apparently makes Boris Johnson "racist human scum", and "not fit for leadership", whilst Ken Livingstons far more offensive insistence that Aldolf Hitler was once a fan of Zionism hardly resonates amongst the same people. 

You also make the mistake in your latest post of misunderstanding the term "satire" - the dictionary definition of which is the use of humour, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.

I can see why Johnsons references might be seen as satirical - even if not well chosen. 

More made up shite. What a fucking loser 😂

You are arguing that Boris Johnson is a racist because you once saw him on a phone in, which in your mind proves beyond all doubt that he doesn't need to see someones lips to be able to communicate. Tell me, if someone came to my place of work wearing a burqa should I have to disclose my disability before requesting that she remove her face covering so I can understand her? 

I haven't said once Johnson is racist. Please read back for confirmation. And yes, you should be able to come to some compromise to be able to comprehend each other. Perhaps written comms might be appropriate in a face to face scenario. If you're OK on the phone, you could do it that way.

It may look a bit odd to be standing on phones in the same office but would ensure the respect of both your hearing difficulty and her cultural preferences.

3 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

More made up shite. What a fucking loser 😂

Hey, he may be on to something here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boris_Johnson

"As a child, Johnson was quiet and studious, although he suffered from deafness, resulting in several operations to insert grommets into his ears"Image result for grommet dog cartoon

Edited by lichtgilphead

Hey, he may be on to something here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boris_Johnson
"As a child, Johnson was quiet and studious, although he suffered from deafness, resulting in several operations to insert grommets into his ears"latest?cb=20181231173023&key=7bdfb5f7e3ac0bb9dfd5916a326b78566541e8bd95725cb56b548784872a8668

I'm going to assume that the 40 min delay in Malky's posting was him editing Wikipedia. Should that be false, we'll just accept Johnson's a racist and Malky's a tit.

2 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

I'm going to assume that the 40 min delay in Malky's posting was him editing Wikipedia. Should that be false, we'll just accept Johnson's a racist and Malky's a tit.

Or him typing out an essay length post that could be summed up in two sentences if it wasn't so full of utter shite 

4 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

I haven't said once Johnson is racist. Please read back for confirmation. And yes, you should be able to come to some compromise to be able to comprehend each other. Perhaps written comms might be appropriate in a face to face scenario. If you're OK on the phone, you could do it that way.

It may look a bit odd to be standing on phones in the same office but would ensure the respect of both your hearing difficulty and her cultural preferences.

That would work, but only if I was willing to disclose I had a disability - which I shouldn't have to do - otherwise it would look like I was being racist and discriminatory by refusing to speak to directly to the woman in the burqa. 

The thing is though we are all far too quick to go on the attack. Was Boris Johnson directly responsible for a 370% rise in Islamaphobia with his article in the Telegraph? Are there even that many Telegraph readers who would have stopped to read Johnsons opinion piece?  Do we really think Telegraph readers are likely to have gone on a rampage? Or is that just the type of hyperbolic bollocks that seems to have become the norm in political discourse? 

12 minutes ago, S7C said:

Or him typing out an essay length post that could be summed up in two sentences if it wasn't so full of utter shite 

Well it seems I was right. 

Just like I will be on Friday when the Tories win a majority 

16 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

Well it seems I was right. 

1) I was making an (admittedly poor) visual joke about his childhood deafness being related to inserting plasticine  cartoon dogs into his ear

2) Glue ear is normally a childhood affliction

3) The article said he suffered from deafness. Note the use of the past tense

4) I'm hardly likely to post anything supportive of Malky's trolling 

Malky obviously doesn't do humour. Just like an automated algorithm.

Hmm...

Jesus f***
It's been fun seeing Tory drones spend all day spreading that fake "friend of a nurse" post only to slap the hopeless fuckers down with the actual story. 

And it gets even better!!

https://skwawkbox.org/2019/12/10/seeming-origin-of-tory-fake-news-against-child-on-hospital-floor-story-has-family-link-with-tory-health-sec/

40 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Oh come the f**k on

Oh f**k. This is nuclear.

The BBC have just reported that the Tory Health Secretary was friends with family linked to the fake news scandal surrounding baby Jack, the 4 year old suffering pneumonia lying on a hospital floor. pic.twitter.com/YObAEuxcVo

— Tory Fibs (@ToryFibs) December 10, 2019

The BBC could report that Boris asked the Health Secretary to personally make the kid sick so they could film his discomfort for the next Conservative Party Conference to w**k themselves to death over on the big screen.

It would make absolutely no difference because BREXIT MEANS BREXIT.

Interesting to see the rights of the disabled being rode roughshod over in preference for religious dogma by our Nationalist friends. I'll need to remember that next time they are having a go at christian organisations. :rolleyes: