General Election 2019 - AND IT’S LIVE!

Frank Grimes

X in the box for   

467 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

....on this election, I think the SNP have fucked it by putting Independence on an equal footing with anti-Brexit/Tory messaging. They've unnecessarily split the main arguments into four. Let's be honest, folk who are primarily motivated by Independence in any type of election were always going to vote SNP. I know there is an impatient zoomer element that the party apparently need to keep onside but they would've fallen in line on the day.
The message is strong when it comes to pitching the party as essentially a better, more effective version of Labour.  They could have swept up the centre-left, pro-Europe majority in Scotland without practically begging Unionists to vote Tory.
They made an arse of the last General Election too, albeit they were at least caught surprised by that happening. If Thursday doesn't go well, whoever deals with election strategy at SNP HQ needs punted.

I disagree. I think it was good they’ve put independence at the forefront of the campaign. They aren’t hiding the agenda, they’ve put it right out there - baws oot. I know of one person who isn’t an independence supporter (yet) but is voting SNP. At the end of the day, these people can vote no again if they like.

11 minutes ago, Alan Stubbs said:

....on this election, I think the SNP have fucked it by putting Independence on an equal footing with anti-Brexit/Tory messaging. They've unnecessarily split the main arguments into four. Let's be honest, folk who are primarily motivated by Independence in any type of election were always going to vote SNP. I know there is an impatient zoomer element that the party apparently need to keep onside but they would've fallen in line on the day.

The message is strong when it comes to pitching the party as essentially a better, more effective version of Labour.  They could have swept up the centre-left, pro-Europe majority in Scotland without practically begging Unionists to vote Tory.

They made an arse of the last General Election too, albeit they were at least caught surprised by that happening. If Thursday doesn't go well, whoever deals with election strategy at SNP HQ needs punted.

Disagree. They made an arse of it in 2017, because they didn't put independence at the forefront of their campaign. In fact, they barely mentioned it at all and took a bit of a kicking from the "naw tae independence" brigade. They just didn't do enough to motivate a high turnout.
I reckon they'll get a better turnout this time. Not as high as I would like. But it'll still be an improvement on 2017. That I have no doubt.

Edited by BawWatchin

Its all ive talked about and been asked about on the doors is indy
Apart from the odd "no surrender"type

Disagree. They made an arse of it in 2017, because they didn't put independence at the forefront of their campaign. In fact, they barely mentioned it at all and took a bit of a kicking from the "naw tae independence" brigade. They just didn't do enough to motivate a high turnout.
I reckon they'll get a better turnout this time. Not as high as I would like. But it'll still be an improvement on 2017. That I have no doubt.

Yet, everytime he fucks up, his party polls up another % point.
The worlds fucked.

A wee bit dramatic. Yes at this particular moment in time the leaders of our two biggest political parties are useless, however that will probably change with the next set of leaders and once Brexit is done and dusted and normality resumes. Calm down.

Just now, Mastermind said:

A wee bit dramatic. Yes at this particular moment in time the leaders of our two biggest political parties are useless, however that will probably change with the next set of leaders and once Brexit is done and dusted and normality resumes. Calm down.

Yeah, the next set of tory shitebags in line really fill me with confidence....

11 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

I disagree. I think it was good they’ve put independence at the forefront of the campaign. They aren’t hiding the agenda, they’ve put it right out there - baws oot. I know of one person who isn’t an independence supporter (yet) but is voting SNP. At the end of the day, these people can vote no again if they like.

I assume your No voting friend isn’t voting SNP this time because of their pro-Indy messaging. My point is that there are potentially a lot of similar people out there and the circumstances are ripe for the SNP to pick up soft No voters in this election.

Im glad your friend can see the bigger picture but in general, I think it is a lot easier to alienate that section of the electorate  than traditional SNP voters.

7 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

They might not have focused on it but the election coming straight after Sturgeon’s move towards a second referendum undoubtedly hurt the SNP that time.

I give them some leeway for getting caught cold in that election. I sincerely hope that I end up looking like an idiot on Friday but my feeling is this might end up being a missed opportunity.

Two sides trying desperately to manufacture a big "gotcha" moment in the last days of the campaign. 

OMG he did not look at a photo. OMG we got punched. 

Thats the sum of their start of the final few days. Even though the North East of England is vulnerable, Labour have kept their front bench away from seats up there as they are so widely disliked they are relying on local MPs. Lots of people in London saying no sign of the party leader on leaflets down here . 

Other than the Tories laser like focus on Brexit, that has fed of off the widespread anti establishment mood outside the big cities, both parties have been light weight and trivial through the campaign. 

When the referendum on Brexit was held more than half of the EU countries had parties promising to leave, now its something like two that have parties with any real electoral presence  making those promises. Even FN in France are promising to reform the EU. We have been such a clusterfuck that even after the migration crisis a couple of years ago, the far right across Europe are not trying to get out the EU anymore. 

And yet here we are on the eve of voting to get out the EU and offers are between "get Brexit done" without looking at the consequences vs the vague mish mash from Labour. 

Richard Tice's chances in Hartlepool have probably gone up a notch with his campaign manager being shown up as an old style racist and a local Brexit councillor out leafleting whilst trying to flog the undercover C4 News guy cocaine.

Usually find Sky News coverage of most things is okay and not quite as bad as the BBC's biased shit.

However if I see their piece on Barra and Stornoway (which is apparently the Harris Tweed capital of the world) one more time I swear I will lose control.

8 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Usually find Sky News coverage of most things is okay and not quite as bad as the BBC's biased shit.

However if I see their piece on Barra and Stornoway (which is apparently the Harris Tweed capital of the world) one more time I swear I will lose control.

Sky News is even worse when it comes to the SNP. Full blown Fox News at times.

9 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Hahaha, even my mum said that too!

This is my last prediction for Scotland:

SNP - 47 seats (13 gains taking seats off both the Tories and Labour, but I do think Stephen Gethins will lose in North East Fife)

Conservatives - 5 seats (I think they'll keep Berwickshire, Roxburgh & Selkirk, Dumfriesshire, Clydesdale & Tweeddale, Banff & Buchan, Moray and West Aberdeenshire & Kincardine. They'll be completely wiped out in the central belt and the biggest surprise scalp for the SNP will be to get Alister Jack out in Dumfries & Galloway. I also have them losing three seats in the North East)

Liberal Democrats - 5 seats (On a relatively decent night for Willie Rennie's lot, I reckon they gain North East Fife. Unfortunately tactical voting will allow Jo Swinson to cling on by a few hundred votes)

Labour - 2 seats (Murray will hold his seat and they'll get Lesley Laird back in by default due to the Neale Hanvey incident)

Got the BBC debate on just now.  It must be an Tory tactic from upstairs to tell debaters that no-matter what - keep talking.

Any retorts - keep talking.

Someone else speaks - keep talking.

Anyone says the opposite to your view - keep talking.