General Election 2019 - AND IT’S LIVE!

Frank Grimes

X in the box for   

467 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

43 minutes ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

I'm going to the Radio Scotland hustings in Dingwall tonight. It is being broadcast on the radio tomorrow I think. 

I can't make it unfortunately. If you get the time post up your thoughts after if you would, cheers. 

21 hours ago, welshbairn said:

And with the most credible and democratic Brexit strategy, whilst ruling out the right wing nihilist project.

Unrelenting bullshit and fantasies. 

Off course since then we got the "negotiate new treaty but do not campaign for it". 

1 hour ago, Baxter Parp said:
2 hours ago, tirso said:
I think those saying a majority or over 40 seats is an unequivocal mandate for indyref2 are kidding themselves to manage expectations.

It won't be seen that way by London or the media. Snp really need a 2015 election or close to put it beyond doubt. The votes were there before, they should be now.

It's fptp as well and if people think Independence support is 50/50 they should be cleaning up like 2015.

It's not just SNP voters that believe in independence though.

true but doesn't help get a section 30.  

25 yrs? That's optimistic. There are still some "SNP were the enablers of Thatcherism in 1979" zoomers on the go.

Another danger of this approach is that if the Conservatives somehow contrive to back out on their side of the deal, the SNP will spend the next 25 years known as the party who sold out the country to a Tory government, which would put independence back for a long long time as no one would trust the party to deliver anything they say the will. Shades of the late 70's in that respect.

35 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

Unrelenting bullshit and fantasies. 

Off course since then we got the "negotiate new treaty but do not campaign for it". 

What do you suggest Corbyn should do? Try to negotiate a better deal while saying he doesn't want one and will campaign against it? Or say he'll back whatever deal he gets before negotiating it? 

I don't think "being Scottish" will stop anyone being PM, but being an MP in a non English constituency would, imo, severely dent your chances.

Could be wrong about this as it's one of those things that's in the back of my mind but I can't fully flesh out why, but doesn't EVEL seriously put a dent in the chances of ever having a future PM that is (at least nominally) Scottish?

9 minutes ago, jakedee said:

25 yrs? That's optimistic. There are still some "SNP were the enablers of Thatcherism in 1979" zoomers on the go.

Aye, but the ones still quoting that are zoomers and will pick on anything they can for the sake of having a go. I think a better comparison here would be how the Tory party have in the recent past lost a significant portion of their "Pariah" status and are now more popular in Scotland than Labour, despite spending most of the last 3 decades as being considered lower than pond life in a lot of the areas that will see them get a sizeable vote.

17 minutes ago, Tarmo Kink said:

It’s between Boris and Farage so Boris. Sturgeon and Swinson don’t want Brexit so there’s no such thing as their version of Brexit, and Corbyn doesn’t want it either despite trying make it out as if he’s neutral in recent times.

Corbyn's spent his whole life wanting to leave the EU on his terms, nothing's changed but he has to take account of the majority opinion in his party, so you'll get a genuine choice between his deal and remain if he gets in.

Edited by welshbairn

Corbyn's spent his whole life wanting to leave the EU on his terms, nothing's changed but he has to take account of the majority opinion in his party.

He has literally said he ‘will campaign for remain’, ‘I’m staying neutral’ and ‘I will get a new brexit deal to leave’ all in the past 6 months. How can you expect anybody to believe this already dodgy grandpa? There’s a reason that he’s not going to be prime minister on the 12th and it astonishes me how he manages to keep a small following.

I think it would be better described as Labour are now less popular than the Tory's. Mainly due to Corbyn being a terrorist sympathiser. And of course the Union.

Aye, but the ones still quoting that are zoomers and will pick on anything they can for the sake of having a go. I think a better comparison here would be how the Tory party have in the recent past lost a significant portion of their "Pariah" status and are now more popular in Scotland than Labour, despite spending most of the last 3 decades as being considered lower than pond life in a lot of the areas that will see them get a sizeable vote.

5 minutes ago, Tarmo Kink said:

He has literally said he ‘will campaign for remain’, ‘I’m staying neutral’ and ‘I will get a new brexit deal to leave’ all in the past 6 months. How can you expect anybody to believe this already dodgy grandpa? There’s a reason that he’s not going to be prime minister on the 12th and it astonishes me how he manages to keep a small following.

He only said he would campaign for remain if the alternative was the Tory deal, ie if it went straight to a referendum without a general election. I'd say he's been consistent in saying that any deal should be put to the people for confirmation.

Edited by welshbairn

Just now, jakedee said:

I think it would be better described as Labour are now less popular than the Tory's. Mainly due to Corbyn being a terrorist sympathiser. And of course the Union.

Part of it, but that isn't the full picture. I'm surprised at home many younger Conservative voters there are and many of them it seems to be an ideological thing, which astounds me. Late teens and early 20's though, so they won't remember a thing about Thatcher or the effects of deindustrialisation.

22 minutes ago, Tarmo Kink said:

It’s between Boris and Farage so Boris. Sturgeon and Swinson don’t want Brexit so there’s no such thing as their version of Brexit, and Corbyn doesn’t want it either despite trying make it out as if he’s neutral in recent times.

Corbyn has repeated on several occasions he would want the UK to remain in the customs union and single market.

Farage wants a "clean break" no deal Brexit.

There are various other versions in  between.

What kind of Brexit would you want to see?

He only said he would campaign for remain if the alternative was the Tory deal, ie if it went straight to a referendum without a general election. I'd say he's been consistent in saying that any deal should be put to the people for confirmation.

He has previously said he would campaign for remain on other occasions and made no reference to the Tory deal. He also ruled out a second referendum on Brexit saying you have to respect the decision the people made. Now he wants another vote? Corbyn, Sturgeon & Swinson = anti-democrats.

2 minutes ago, Tarmo Kink said:

He has previously said he would campaign for remain on other occasions and made no reference to the Tory deal. He also ruled out a second referendum on Brexit saying you have to respect the decision the people made. Now he wants another vote? Corbyn, Sturgeon & Swinson = anti-democrats.

Corbyn is also a terrorist sympathiser. Don't forget that.

8 minutes ago, Tarmo Kink said:

Do you mean this?

In July 2019, while the Conservative leadership contest was still underway, Mr Corbyn wrote to Labour members: “Whoever becomes the new Prime Minister should have the confidence to put their deal, or No Deal, back to the people in a public vote.”

He continued: “In those circumstances, I want to make it clear that Labour would campaign for Remain against either No Deal or a Tory deal that does not protect the economy and jobs.”