General Election 2019 - AND IT’S LIVE!

Frank Grimes

X in the box for   

467 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

I don’t imagine that.  I imagine that many of these 52% realise that Trump is a total c**t.

Naive given most of them hate facts, expert opinion and immigrants and most of them like Boris Johnson.

Boris isn't quite as bad as Maggie was, in my opinion. Deliberately engineering mass unemployment by largely destroying the country's manufacturing base to radically re-engineer society was arguably more lunatic that a hard Brexit and wasn't something she was steered towards by an unfortunate referendum result. BJ is more of a power hungry opportunist than a crazed ideologue.

I don't know - whatever you think about Thatcher you know that however wrong she was there was at least some sort of principle behind her politics. 

For me unprincipled populists like Johnson are the most dangerous of politicians.

3 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

I don't get what's so bad about a Corbyn govt for so many folk.

The media have been constantly parroting how bad it is going to be for the last several years that the general public now seem to accept this as fact. When you actually challenge people about what in particular they dislike about the man they generally can't come up with much of substance apart from nonsense like "he can't even tie his tie properly" but hey if it was on BBC news and the front page of the Daily Mail then it must be right eh?

The fact the press in this country seem to be so terrified of the man is another reason to vote for him as far as I'm concerned. If he was a power hungry careerist like most of the people who rise to high office in politics in this country then he wouldn't have spent most of his years on the back benches. I actually believe he wants the best for the country and cares about ordinary people. I couldn't say that about Johnson or Swinson.  

As I live in England now, Labour will be getting my vote for the first time ever in my life. Still hope to see the SNP wipe everyone out in Scotland, mind. 

The media have been constantly parroting how bad it is going to be for the last several years that the general public now seem to accept this as fact. When you actually challenge people about what in particular they dislike about the man they generally can't come up with much of substance apart from nonsense like "he can't even tie his tie properly" but hey if it was on BBC news and the front page of the Daily Mail then it must be right eh?
The fact the press in this country seem to be so terrified of the man is another reason to vote for him as far as I'm concerned. If he was a power hungry careerist like most of the people who rise to high office in politics in this country then he wouldn't have spent most of his years on the back benches. I actually believe he wants the best for the country and cares about ordinary people. I couldn't say that about Johnson or Swinson.  
As I live in England now, Labour will be getting my vote for the first time ever in my life. Still hope to see the SNP wipe everyone out in Scotland, mind. 
You get a similar response from people when their views about Sturgeon are challenged.

The "I hate that woman" crowd can never actually tell you why they "hate" her.

It's tribal pish of the worst kind.

Voting Labour. They will win my seat easily enough but the election, as a whole, will likely be a disaster. The Brexit Party vote will disappear like the UKIP vote does every General Election. So the Brexiteers will overwhelmingly vote Tory while the Remain vote is split (in England and Wales, at least). It is going to be a Johnson landslide. 

24 minutes ago, EH75 said:

Through his parliamentary career Corbyn has been the moral conscience of the Labour party.  That troubles media types, and career politicians

interested in climbing the greasy poles of power, or just using politics as a through route to money.

I live in an rural English constituency where Labour has no chance.   I'll be voting Green.

If I was in Scotland, I'd be voting SNP.

49 minutes ago, The OP said:

Naive given most of them hate facts, expert opinion and immigrants and most of them like Boris Johnson.

No it’s not naive.  I’m just not willing to make unsubstantiated generalisations.

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

No it’s not naive.  I’m just not willing to make unsubstantiated generalisations.

It is not unsubstantiated. Has the fact that Brexit is largely motivated by the same sentiments and idiocies that got Trump elected entirely passed you by? 

48 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

You get a similar response from people when their views about Sturgeon are challenged.

The "I hate that woman" crowd can never actually tell you why they "hate" her.

It's tribal pish of the worst kind.

This sort of stuff is particularly bad living down here in Englandshire. 

"Jimmy Krankie". "Oh she's just like Hitler, she wants to be a dictator". When challenged it usually transpires these sort of people have barely even watched an interview of her, let alone have any idea of the SNPs policies or what it is actually like living under an SNP government in Scotland. 

5 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

It's certainly the best option of the 3.

I have no problem with Corbyn himself, he seems genuine enough, and I could get behind him, but the problem is that I'm not convinced his parliamentary party will.

34 minutes ago, The OP said:

It is not unsubstantiated. Has the fact that Brexit is largely motivated by the same sentiments and idiocies that got Trump elected entirely passed you by? 

Largely motivated - yes.  All 52% (your original claim) - no.

2 hours ago, The OP said:

You’d imagine the Brexity 52% generally don’t mind Trump.

Largely motivated - yes.  All 52% (your original claim) - no.

generally
/ˈdʒɛn(ə)rəli/
adverb
  1. 1. 
    in most cases; usually.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

I don’t imagine that.  I imagine that many of these 52% realise that Trump is a total c**t.

5 minutes ago, The OP said:

generally
/ˈdʒɛn(ə)rəli/
adverb
  1. 1. 
    in most cases; usually.

So we’re in agreement, not all Brexit voters will be onside with Trump’s support.

So we’re in agreement, not all Brexit voters will be onside with Trump’s support.

This is quite possibly the most tedious, irritating and futile interaction I’ve ever had on this site and it should be noted that for a couple of years Standfree would stalk me like he was Michael Myers and I was a nubile babysitter.

Trump has also said today he's unimpressed with Boris's "great deal" and wouldn't be able  to trade with the UK if it was to pass.

Good news or what? This is great judgment from Trump given that no one's had the chance of scrutinising this deal yet, nor have the Govt released any kind of economic appraisal on it so far.

Corbyn's really got off to a flyer now with all this. Hopefully he can get over the line with a workable majority, but it won't do any harm if he has to rely on SNP support to form a Govt at the end of the day.

Edited by ICTJohnboy

2 hours ago, EH75 said:

This sort of stuff is particularly bad living down here in Englandshire. 

"Jimmy Krankie". "Oh she's just like Hitler, she wants to be a dictator". When challenged it usually transpires these sort of people have barely even watched an interview of her, let alone have any idea of the SNPs policies or what it is actually like living under an SNP government in Scotland. 

It is amusing when people talk about dictators in a negative way but then say they will vote for Johnson to get things done even if parliament tries to stop him.

8 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Corbyn is often described as a weak leader which is anathema  to anyone who believes the best government is a benevolent dictator.

Personally I have never understood the obsession with party leaders as if the rest of any party has no say in anything and serves no real purpose.