General Election 2019 - AND IT’S LIVE!

Frank Grimes

X in the box for   

467 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Bob Mahelp
Just now, Malky3 said:

I don't understand the chub about the M8. I use it everyday and seriously it's not great. The M74 extension into Glasgow was a much better and more successful project that really would have made a positive difference if it wasn't for the fact they fucked up connecting it to the M77. 

Your opinion is worthless, because it's obviously blinded by hate. 

It's impossible for you to acknowledge anything good about Scotland, because in your mind that's giving credit to the SNP.  So you'll keep on splitting hairs and posting garbage on social media, because it makes you feel good. 

As I said, worthless. 

4 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Your opinion is worthless, because it's obviously blinded by hate. 

It's impossible for you to acknowledge anything good about Scotland, because in your mind that's giving credit to the SNP.  So you'll keep on splitting hairs and posting garbage on social media, because it makes you feel good. 

As I said, worthless. 

Erm, a man from Aberdeen telling a man from Glasgow that the M8 was a successful project. 

How many times a year do you drive from Glasgow to Edinburgh? 

You're view on that project is worthless. 

Edited by Malky3

11 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Any Yoon that criticises the SNP on infrastructure issues is off their fucking head.

The SNP are doing their best to drag Scotland into the 21st century, after decades of neglect under Westminster control. Labour allowed the A9 to turn into a death trap and did f**k all about it.....the SNP have invested billions to make this road far safer and fit for modern purpose. 

Projects like this, and the bridge, and the new railways, and the M8, and a hundred other projects, are part of the reason why so many people continue to vote for the SNP.

But but the SNP are failing Scotland... they're failing the NHS, education, policing and other public services and that wee Jimmy Krankie is covering up for that alec salmon, her career will be over very soon.... rule britannia, GSTQ, WATP, no surrender.... etc

That's why the SNP are only just hanging on by a thread....

6 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

BTW it should also be mentioned that the initial plans for the Queensferry Crossing was laid out by Thatchers government in the early 1990's, with the full backing of the Scottish Office, but Edinburgh City Council blocked it on the grounds that it would mean increased traffic into the capital. 

So, what you're saying is that George Younger, Rifkind, Forsyth or whatever Governor General was kicking his heels in St Andrew's  House was talking the talk.

It took the SNP to walk the walk. And that's  why they continue to win the trust of the Scottish electorate.

Thanks for giving us a fabulous example of this.

1 minute ago, Malky3 said:

Erm, a man from Aberdeen telling a man from Glasgow that the M8 was a successful project. 

As is most, if not all, of the Tom Kite you post here and in the Indyref forum

Just now, speckled tangerine said:

So, what you're saying is that George Younger, Rifkind, Forsyth or whatever Governor General was kicking his heels in St Andrew's  House was talking the talk.

It took the SNP to walk the walk. And that's  why they continue to win the trust of the Scottish electorate.

Thanks for giving us a fabulous example of this.

The Conservative Central Government was blocked by a Labour Council and their objections to the planning consent for the crossing. Nothing wrong at all with following this countries law on planning consent. 'course the SNP are good at riding roughshod over the law to suit themselves and their friends. The Trump golf course in Aberdeen was a classic example. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
3 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

The Scottish Parliament was Labour and LibDems.

I think you've made a mistake here.

The Queensferry Crossing was a magnificent piece of work. They managed to build an entire road network around it with almost minimal disruption over a period of several years and pretty much opened it on time. In addition the "major remdial works" have been at the contractors cost I believe and are largely carried out at night. You couldn't have chosen a worse example to make your point.

The money wasted on the Scottish parliament was purely the fault of Donald Dewar, Labour in Scotland, and the useless LibDems.  The sensible option (the SNP's choice) was to redevelop the Royal High School on Calton Hill, but Dewar was terrified that this was too iconic and may lead to a growing pride in Scottish nationhood.....something that he and Labour despised. 

Therefore we were left with a poorly designed and massively unbudgeted f**k-up which became Holyrood. 

And let's not forget the world's most expensive tram line. A Labour vanity project which the SNP (rightly) wanted to scrap to save money, but were overruled by the Unionists in Holyrood. 

Westminster parties have been a disaster for Scotland, and if they had any power just now over our infrastructure, they'd still be fucking up massively or ignoring things completely. 

People are aware of that......aside from blinkered uber-Yoons.....and that's why they keep on voting SNP. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
Just now, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

'I'm willing to concede that the Queensferry crossing is perhaps ok at best, but only because Maggie thought about doing it but never got round to it 30 years ago'

Just think, with the money saved by closing down industries all over central Scotland, she could have had enough spare change to build us a new bridge. 

Just now, Malky3 said:

The Conservative Central Government was blocked by a Labour Council and their objections to the planning consent for the crossing. 

Then Labour got in with Blair in '97, decided that a second Forth bridge crossing was not a priority and that was that.

Let's  face it. If you want stuff done to improve Scotland then you vote for a party that has Scotland as it's  priority. That will be the SNP. 

You brought up infrastructure. We've  seen results under the SNP, not excuses.

5 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

The Scottish Parliament was Labour and LibDems.

I think you've made a mistake here.

The Queensferry Crossing was a magnificent piece of work. They managed to build an entire road network around it with almost minimal disruption over a period of several years and pretty much opened it on time. In addition the "major remdial works" have been at the contractors cost I believe and are largely carried out at night. You couldn't have chosen a worse example to make your point.

Hope so. But we'll see. Contractors bid low to win the job then make their profits arguing about why they are not responsible for the overruns. It's what they do. very well.

To be honest these arguments about which party is the best/worst at big projects kind of miss the point. It's not really a party political problem. All large scale public procurement relies upon the quality of the civil servants and professionals employed to run the process. The best thing the politicians can do is set the brief and stick to it, understand the risk transfer (or lack of) and not interfere mid project. The worst examples I can think of are Scottish Parliament (Lib/Lab), Edin Trams (Lab/SNP?) Edin Sick Kids (SNP) . HS2 (Con) will no doubt surpass these if it gets much further. But the very worst must be any MOD contract (Lab/Con) over the last 40 years where the brief seems to be to keep trying to upgrade to whatever some other country has just committed to - a never ending process of escalating costs and elongating programmes that end up with aircraft carriers with no fkn aircraft!

26 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

Try driving from Accrington to Oldham using the M66, M62, A62M.

A 30 mile journey that very often takes over 1 hour to complete depending on the time of day.

You don't realise how lucky you are to be resident in Scotland, where you're free to enjoy all the benefits that only an enlightened SNP administration can provide.

Edited by ICTJohnboy

Guest Bob Mahelp
20 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

Hope so. But we'll see. Contractors bid low to win the job then make their profits arguing about why they are not responsible for the overruns. It's what they do. very well.

To be honest these arguments about which party is the best/worst at big projects kind of miss the point. It's not really a party political problem. All large scale public procurement relies upon the quality of the civil servants and professionals employed to run the process. The best thing the politicians can do is set the brief and stick to it, understand the risk transfer (or lack of) and not interfere mid project. The worst examples I can think of are Scottish Parliament (Lib/Lab), Edin Trams (Lab/SNP?) Edin Sick Kids (SNP) . HS2 (Con) will no doubt surpass these if it gets much further. But the very worst must be any MOD contract (Lab/Con) over the last 40 years where the brief seems to be to keep trying to upgrade to whatever some other country has just committed to - a never ending process of escalating costs and elongating programmes that end up with aircraft carriers with no fkn aircraft!

Ignoring the fact that this post is designed to shower the SNP with faint praise, it misses the mark because it ignores the salient point about which political party is most capable of choosing the right infrastructure projects for Scotland's needs. 

Anyone who thinks the answer to that question is the Tories, Labour or the LibDems, needs certified.

Mixu, be honest. They maybe got the M8 done, but...
Waverley Line - How late? How much over budget?
Scottish Parliament - How Late? How much over budget?
Queensferry  Crossing - Not very late but immediate major remedial work so really over budget?
Edin Sick Kids - Will it ever open? 

The Scottish Parliament fiasco was the fault of the SNP? Fucking hell [emoji23][emoji23]

Then Labour got in with Blair in '97, decided that a second Forth bridge crossing was not a priority and that was that.
Let's  face it. If you want stuff done to improve Scotland then you vote for a party that has Scotland as it's  priority. That will be the SNP. 
You brought up infrastructure. We've  seen results under the SNP, not excuses.

^^ In spades. But there’s the dichotomy.

Nae danger I want independence but the SNP do indeed do a very good job of getting big infrastructure projects done here.

But would I trust them to run the whole economy? Soz but naw.

They run a very good town council but beyond that they do not have my confidence.

^^ In spades. But there’s the dichotomy.

Nae danger I want independence but the SNP do indeed do a very good job of getting big infrastructure projects done here.

But would I trust them to run the whole economy? Soz but naw.

They run a very good town council but beyond that they do not have my confidence.
Why not?