Frank Grimes

General Election 2019 - AND IT’S LIVE!

X in the box for   

466 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

There are definitely other ways to make sure you're not getting that job.

I was on jobseekers for a few months after leaving uni. I was applying for the jobs I wanted but the rules were apply for something like 10 positions per week. Trawl the govt website, find 10 jobs that you'e unlikely to ever be hired for, send in an utterly shite CV. Get that done on a Monday morning. Spend the rest of the week working on applications for jobs you want.

Was that before or after Universal Credit? I did the same in the olden days but had a brief experience of the new system and I don't think you'd get away with it anymore. They also monitor your daily activity on the website and ask for proof of 35 hours a week of job seeking, with the assumption that anything you say is a lie. Of course they have to teach you what lies are acceptable to cover the impossible 35 hours target. I was advised to say I walked to Nairn from Inverness and back for an interview to make up a few hours.

41 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

Do you mean by not setting minimum wage higher? Or by paying in-work benefits?

Both, amongst other things. Set the minimum wage higher and you don't need to subsidise the private profits, which essentially what in work benefits are. A subsidy to allow private companies to pay less.

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Was that before or after Universal Credit? I did the same in the olden days but had a brief experience of the new system and I don't think you'd get away with it anymore. They also monitor your daily activity on the website and ask for proof of 35 hours a week of job seeking, with the assumption that anything you say is a lie. Of course they have to teach you what lies are acceptable to cover the impossible 35 hours target. I was advised to say I walked to Nairn from Inverness and back for an interview to make up a few hours.

Jesus, well before that. 2013.

At that time it was a wee book that you had to fill in. It did toughen up from 'do 12 things a week' to 'apply for 12 jobs a week'. That's the point things started getting silly.

18 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Both, amongst other things. Set the minimum wage higher and you don't need to subsidise the private profits, which essentially what in work benefits are. A subsidy to allow private companies to pay less.

Mostly agree. The bigger nonsense though is the amount paid in Housing benefit - effectively subsidising landlords and rents.

Edited by Pet Jeden

5 hours ago, BawWatchin said:

Somewhat racist in what way? Because I said "black"? Is the universe racist for simply being black as well?

Nope. Its because you stated that blacks in Africa had evolved to become wealthier than my Grandparents. It implies that the reason they were poor in the first place was because of their genetic make up and that they used to be genetically inferior to mt grandparents. 

I accept your intention wasn't racist. It was just a stupid and inappropriate reference. But it was somewhat racist. 

1 minute ago, Pet Jeden said:

Mostly agree. The bigger nonsense though is the amount paid in Housing benefit - effectively a subsidy to landlords and rents.

If nothing else, there have at least been moves in the last few years to try and curb this. Too little too late, probably. I think the Scottish Governments approach is correct, in terms of charging a levy for every additional property you buy that won't be your primary residence. My only criticism there is that the levy isn't high enough.

Well, you would have to expand on what is meant by "can't be bothered" to make sense of this. But, for instance, have you never heard any adult say a potential job is "not worth taking because "it doesn't pay much more than benefits"?
Given the scrutiny/demonisation of the DWP and the level of benefits received after years of benefit freezes means this is a middle class fantasy.

52 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

There are definitely other ways to make sure you're not getting that job.

I was on jobseekers for a few months after leaving uni. I was applying for the jobs I wanted but the rules were apply for something like 10 positions per week. Trawl the govt website, find 10 jobs that you'e unlikely to ever be hired for, send in an utterly shite CV. Get that done on a Monday morning. Spend the rest of the week working on applications for jobs you want.

You.could also write NAZI on your face so if you ever.get.an interview you'll still be okay.

Can you confirm there are enough barrels of oil left to fund your tartan utopia dream? I’d like to have facts rather than just ‘Janey Godley says so’.

According to an expert unionist, you can flog them down the Barras furra fiver. Imagine my dismay when all I could get down there for a fiver at the weekend was fake tobacco and a Nutella crepe.

4 hours ago, AUFC90 said:

Anyone that believes that Scotland is suddenly responsible for 60% of the UK deficit is thick as pig shit imo.

You still doing that routine.... 

The oil is running oot. What else we got?

Whiskey?

Ok, maybe whiskey.

We’ve also made advancements in the tech industry, look at the success of GTA as an example.

Ok, we’ve got that. But we’d still be skint!

What about the booming success of the gin industry?

Aye, but it’s a fad!

Tourism as well. Scotland generated 220 million on tourists from music alone last year.

We’d still be skint!!! We’ve got nothing to offer!!!

I honestly think Unionists fucking hate Scotland.

3 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

The oil is running oot. What else we got?

Whiskey?

Ok, maybe whiskey.

We’ve also made advancements in the tech industry, look at the success of GTA as an example.

Ok, we’ve got that. But we’d still be skint!

What about the booming success of the gin industry?

Aye, but it’s a fad!

Tourism as well. Scotland generated 220 million on tourists from music alone last year.

We’d still be skint!!! We’ve got nothing to offer!!!

I honestly think Unionists fucking hate Scotland.

They do.

7 hours ago, Paco said:

Priti Patel says poverty is not the fault of the government.

Am I being whooshed here?

It's up to the individual to make their own way.

Government is there to support people who can't but it's still up to the individual to look after themselves as best they can.

What's the problem with this mindset?

3 hours ago, Ross. said:

What private profits? What companies are you talking about? Many companies make a loss each year. What about those companies?

3 hours ago, Ross. said:

If nothing else, there have at least been moves in the last few years to try and curb this. Too little too late, probably. I think the Scottish Governments approach is correct, in terms of charging a levy for every additional property you buy that won't be your primary residence. My only criticism there is that the levy isn't high enough.

You'd need a law ensuring they couldn't simply pass on that levy in rent but otherwise I agree with this sentiment.

The housing crisis has absolutely been caused by people owning multiple homes in a time of national shortage.

Am I being whooshed here?
It's up to the individual to make their own way.
Government is there to support people who can't but it's still up to the individual to look after themselves as best they can.
What's the problem with this mindset?

That link doesn’t work for me but tend to agree with the sentiment.

Government should facilitate an economy/society that allows you to make your way not to provide you with a living. That’s my Tory opinion for the day.

9 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Government should facilitate an economy/society that allows you to make your way not to provide you with a living. That’s my Tory opinion for the day.

The only exception I can think of is for people who are incapable of looking after themselves.

Of course, other people will need a helping hand from time to time but this "entitlement" complex where the government are to blame for poverty is brainless and it needs put to bed.

I think most people in the UK agree with this idea in general which is probably why the Tories usually always govern the country.

Edited by oaksoft

16 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

If government aren't partially responsible why has poverty increased dramatically under this government?  Have people just miraculously gotten lazier?

what's a single mum with two or three kids supposed to do? She can't work enough to.earn enough in most cases to lift.her family our of poverty, her benefits have been cut in real terms for nine years in a row now.  InEngland the Tories don't provide the same level of childcare as we get here so what is she supposed to do?  Sell a kid?  just.be.born rich?  not have kids in the first place?

If the.government doesn't put support systems and a safety net in place.that at least keeps a person like that's head above water, that's not one but four people in poverty.now. This.government has removed that.safety net.  And with cuts to funding of state schools and.massive.tuition fees to.go to university, how.are.her.kids supposed to break.that cycle?  A cycle this government has created.

how can she better herself and.help her family not be dependent on state support?  She.can't get the education required to allow her to earn enough to not need help as she doesn't have the time and can't afford it anyway as this government has made it.prohibitively expensive. And by creating this cycle this government creates generations of welfare dependents in a cycle of poverty as they remove.the social mobility ladder.

Edited by Kuro

4 minutes ago, Kuro said:

If government aren't partially responsible why has poverty increased dramatically under this government?  Have people just miraculously gotten lazier?

This would come under facilitating an economy/society that allows people to do this.

I am no supporter of this government. I don't know what the Priti Patel quote is as the link didn't work. I just said the government doesn't owe people a living.

She ignores that local government budgets and spending priorities are largely determined by central government.

Edited by welshbairn