General Election 2019 - AND IT’S LIVE!

Frank Grimes

X in the box for   

467 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Detournement said:

Nothing scares establishment types more than an informed electorate.

Large swathes of the political class are Hugh Abbott*. "You can't say you hate the public." "Yes I can, I've met them."

*For the avoidance of doubt I'm not calling them nonces. Maybe.

17 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

They are not "selling" at garden centres. They are on sale at garden centres. Very different things. Especially if it's sale or return.

Detournement is also correct about your friend still probably being on tax credits - both working and child. That alone will probably bring him in around £800 to £1000 per month. That's almost certainly why he has given up night shifts. The idea that he's supporting himself from selling home made candles is laughable. He'd need to be selling between 2000 and 5000 of the fucking things per month to get enough profit to live on. Never mind the sales. How is he physically making 2000 to 5000 candles a month from his own kitchen? Without employees. Without an expensive office. For a 160 hour month he'd need to be making 10 to 40 an hour. How does he then find time to sell them, buy ingredients, market the product, handle all the accounts for that volume of sales? Get them packaged? How did he manage to pay for that volume of stock? How does he stay afloat whilst he waits on his invoices being paid on probably 60 to 90 day terms?

He's bullshitting you and you are now trying to bullshit us.

I am as critical as anyone of those who refuse to take personal responsibility for their situation but you are peddling horseshit here for reasons only you can answer to.

We're onto you though.

Why are you so angry about it Oaksoft? Hes not bullshitting me. Hes my sons friend not mine and hes set up his own business and appears to be making a success of it. I don't know what his financial affairs are or what his commercial arrangements are and neither do you! 

Hes one example of three that I gave to show why there is no reason for a single father to sit around waiting on government hand outs. 

28 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

FTFY...

And whilst I'm here, are you sure that the sitting MP Martin Docherty-Hughes does not still live in Clydebank, where he was brought up ?  Even if he doesn't he absolutely has first-hand knowledge of this area and its problems, and he has quite impressed in his role.  I also think the Labour candidate is from the Vale but you might as well throw your ballot paper in the Leven and watch it float past Dumbarton Rock on that one.  And I wouldn't be surprised if the Liberal candidate is thinking of throwing a sicky after last night......

Always remember, what thay actually DO is far more important than where their Xmas cards arrive.

I'm sure he (Doherty) lives in Arran or somewhere. 

What has he done that makes his track record so great? He's stood up for the guy who has been jailed in a foreign country. Apart from that I can't think of anything of note. 

I'll probably lend him my vote but the whole thing pisses me off that they can't live in the area they represent. 

31 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

FTFY...

And whilst I'm here, are you sure that the sitting MP Martin Docherty-Hughes does not still live in Clydebank, where he was brought up ?  Even if he doesn't he absolutely has first-hand knowledge of this area and its problems, and he has quite impressed in his role.  I also think the Labour candidate is from the Vale but you might as well throw your ballot paper in the Leven and watch it float past Dumbarton Rock on that one.  And I wouldn't be surprised if the Liberal candidate is thinking of throwing a sicky after last night......

Always remember, what thay actually DO is far more important than where their Xmas cards arrive.

43 minutes ago, the snudge said:

6 candidates in West Dunbartonshire and only 1 lives here. I find that very very worrying. The one that does is a one issue, anti abotionist sort. Finding it hard to vote for any of them. 

Anyone else have candidates that don't live in the area they aim to represent? 

His website has him living in Whiteinch but I was sure I read recently he was now based in Inverclyde. Definitely grew up in Clydebank though and I remember him being involved heavily in local politics from the mid 90’s onwards when I started to become aware of that sort of thing.

The Tory lass keeps pointing out that she lives “Just outside the border, but has family in the constituency and works in the constituency” to make sure anyone who questions her on that knows she has some local knowledge. Unfortunately though, she is an absolute fucking dolt who does nothing but parrot sound bites and stops responding when you point out inaccuracies or ask for specifics.

Suppose the biggest plus is that none of the few who have a realistic chance of pulling votes are as horrendous as Gemma Doyle was.

Looks like we've well and truly disappeared down the least-worst-option rabbit hole, judging by the number of those bar chart leaflets that are being posted.

I'm starting to think those Cthulhu 2020 folks may have a point.

I normally ignore your posts but this is utter nonsense.
The reason your mate would have been able to give up the nightshifts is that if you start a small business you can claim Working Tax Credits for three years without showing any profits or even having to prove any substantial economic activity.
So he was 100% still on benefits for a few years. The end part seems very far fetched but you never know.
It's a year under Universal Credit. After that you've got to show it's a genuine business and they apply a minimum income floor equivalent to 37 hours per week @ min wage. Obvs this takes no account that Malky is an outright liar and fantasist.

2 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:
6 hours ago, Detournement said:
The reason your mate would have been able to give up the nightshifts is that if you start a small business you can claim Working Tax Credits for three years without showing any profits or even having to prove any substantial economic activity.
So he was 100% still on benefits for a few years. The end part seems very far fetched but you never know.

It's a year under Universal Credit. After that you've got to show it's a genuine business and they apply a minimum

It's not difficult to get around if you a partner with a decent income or family who can funnel money through the business though is it?

It's not difficult to get around if you a partner with a decent income or family who can funnel money through the business though is it?

After the year's up UC treat you as if you're earning the minimum income floor automatically. UC is then calculated based on earnings of £1250 or whatever it is regardless of your actual income.

4 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:
37 minutes ago, Detournement said:

After the year's up UC treat you as if you're earning the minimum income floor automatically. UC is then calculated based on earnings of £1250 or whatever it is regardless of your actual income.

Fair enough. I suppose the advantage for a lot of people is they get their benefits without having to go down the job seekers route and it's beneficial for  women who wouldn't earn much working a real job after child care costs.

I know a woman who worked in a roll shop then became a self employed management consultant for a few years.

Edited by Detournement

5 hours ago, Malky3 said:

Why are you so angry about it Oaksoft? Hes not bullshitting me. Hes my sons friend not mine and hes set up his own business and appears to be making a success of it. I don't know what his financial affairs are or what his commercial arrangements are and neither do you! 

Hes one example of three that I gave to show why there is no reason for a single father to sit around waiting on government hand outs. 

He's as fed up as everyone else by your neverending diatribe of shite, lies and shite lies.  f**k off.