Frank Grimes

General Election 2019 - AND IT’S LIVE!

X in the box for   

465 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

22 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Unreal

Bloody hell. Very hard to defend something so massively misleading  to be fair. Would have been better just putting your hands up.

Sinn Fein (!) & SDLP both to step down in 3 NI seats to avoid splitting the Remain vote, last week the Lib-Dems made agreements with the Greens & Plaid Cymru.

Out of the Remain parties it seems only the SNP are "untouchables".

The 13% voting Labour/Green/LibDem
:1eye

Unfortunately some of us don’t have the luxury of the good guys standing in our constituencies so have to pick the best option from what we have. Will be Greens for me.

Report on Russian interference on the Brexit referendum pulled until after the GE.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/04/no-10-blocks-russia-eu-referendum-report-until-after-election

Coupla questions

1. Does it really matter, do many people change their minds due to the targeted internet I assume was the focus of the investigation?
  2.  Does anyone really think we don't do similar during other countries elections although no doubt on a smaller scale.

the parties are obviously entitled to do what they want but I don't like this stepping aside.  It feels like gaming the system for one issue when a general election should be about more than that.

They're denying people a proper choice between all the competing parties.  

1 minute ago, tirso said:

the parties are obviously entitled to do what they want but I don't like this stepping aside.  It feels like gaming the system for one issue when a general election should be about more than that.

They're denying people a proper choice between all the competing parties.  

If we had a fairer voting system then it wouldn’t happen.  We have ditched FPTP for all elections other than this one.

1 hour ago, btb said:

Sinn Fein (!) & SDLP both to step down in 3 NI seats to avoid splitting the Remain vote, last week the Lib-Dems made agreements with the Greens & Plaid Cymru.

SF and SDLP doing that has nothing to do with Remain.

22 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

If we had a fairer voting system then it wouldn’t happen.  We have ditched FPTP for all elections other than this one.

I understand that but essentially all you need to do is convince the people to vote for you more than the other guy.  This is all about voting against, not for sometihng which I don't like.  Naive sure but how i feel.

They should have the strength of their conviction and it shows no fight to win in a constituency.  There's a world of a difference between plaid and the Lib Dems on many issues and this is a general election.  Put it this way, I'm glad the SNP aren't doing it.

The Scottish parliament system seems about right.  Wouldn't want to lose the individual MP per constituency element to representation.

Polling is showing a squeeze on LibDems and BP, with Tory lead starting to narrow. Latest has Labour on over 30% for the first time in months. It's feeling a bit like groundhog day and the starting gun just fired. Can see Labour hitting 35% + over the next few weeks which if maintained will probably be enough to prevent a Tory majority. 😁

https://www.icmunlimited.com/our-work/icm-voting-intentions-poll-general-election-2019/

9 minutes ago, Cerberus said:
I'd love for this to happen in other racist cesspit constituencies.

Peterborough elected a black, female MP in 2017.

1 hour ago, tirso said:

I understand that but essentially all you need to do is convince the people to vote for you more than the other guy.  This is all about voting against, not for sometihng which I don't like.  Naive sure but how i feel.

They should have the strength of their conviction and it shows no fight to win in a constituency.  There's a world of a difference between plaid and the Lib Dems on many issues and this is a general election.  Put it this way, I'm glad the SNP aren't doing it.

The Scottish parliament system seems about right.  Wouldn't want to lose the individual MP per constituency element to representation.

Definitely agree with this bit, having a local rep in Westminster to complain to and hopefully fight your cause is a big thing, not keen at all on the party list. They should have had a separate ballot on leave on Johnson's deal or remain in this election, a lot of people will be voting purely on the Brexit issue so I have sympathy for parties collaborating to make that possible in this hopefully unique situation. 

21 minutes ago, Bedford White said:

Polling is showing a squeeze on LibDems and BP, with Tory lead starting to narrow. Latest has Labour on over 30% for the first time in months. It's feeling a bit like groundhog day and the starting gun just fired. Can see Labour hitting 35% + over the next few weeks which if maintained will probably be enough to prevent a Tory majority. 😁

https://www.icmunlimited.com/our-work/icm-voting-intentions-poll-general-election-2019/

A hung Parliament is the best we can hope for, I hope it happens.

If so a further referendum will be the only option.  Certain MPs will be kicking and screaming at this reality.

In the event of a hung Parliament here is two predictions:

Labour may/will regret not having deselected some absolute arsehole MPs.

Swinson will still act as if she has/should have far more power and influence than she actually does.

That's a good shout about Swinson. I really hope their polling continues to dip lower and lower once folk start to see and hear Jo Swinson.

The Libs were on about 20-24% a few weeks/months ago and are now from the past 5-6 polls averaging 14-17%.

The Lib Dem poll surge over the past 6 months or so is probably due to leading questions. Ask what Brexit outcome the person wants, ask which party they feel is closest to their view then ask who they intend to vote for.

It's the same thing with Corbyn. Yougov ask questions about Anti Semitism in the Labour Party then ask if someone approves of Corbyn.

Haven't heard of any Lib Dem policies apart from totally ignoring the first referendum result. It's not like they've been shut out of the media. 

Haven't heard of any Lib Dem policies apart from totally ignoring the first referendum result. It's not like they've been shut out of the media. 
And Swinson claiming sexism. What an abhorrent woman

5 hours ago, btb said:

Regardless of your thoughts on tactical voting/standing aside in general, it doesn’t really make sense for the SNP to be forming pacts with anyone.

In every constituency the Tories hold the SNP are the main challengers with the Lib Dems and Labour being a total afterthought (with the exception of East Renfrewshire, where the SNP are still second) and in every constituency Labour or the Lib Dems hold the SNP are the main challengers. There’s not really anything to gain through an alliance in these circumstances.

They could guarantee themselves East Renfrewshire if Labour stood aside but returning the favour by standing aside elsewhere would only be doing themselves out of a winnable seat elsewhere, same if they stood aside for the Lib Dems anywhere. The Northern Isles is the only constituency in Scotland where the SNP aren’t seriously in contention and the Tories have no chance there either. Why bother costing themselves a shot at East Dunbartonshire just to let the Lib Dems win a seat they’d win anyway?

There’s no logic in an anti-Tory pact for any of the three parties and considering the Unionist angle, there’s no guarantee such pacts would always go in the SNP’s favour anyway.

Edited by Dunning1874

I would loove it if Swinson did get on the debates. She will 100% make an arse of herself.

I have no faith in his ability to run a party or country but I’d be surprised if Corbyn doesn’t comfortably win the debates. He’ll do pretty well over the next few weeks but won’t overcome the massive gap he’s left himself.