General Election 2019 - AND IT’S LIVE!

Frank Grimes

X in the box for   

467 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Every joke that Lenny Bruce, Woody Allen, Larry David and Sarah Silverman made was hot lined to them from the Israeli Embassy in Washington. Fact.

P.S. Nobody talks about the preponderance of homosexuals in the entertainment industry. Maybe it's THEM!

Must admit, I didn't know that 3 of the above were Jewish.

Woody Allen, of course.  

1 hour ago, sophia said:

Not having the detail of the matter, I wouldn't know. Jean Charles de Menezes doesn't know either.

The de Menezes killing was a disgrace - but even from the limited info in the public domain regarding today, it’s a cheap shot to link the two. De Menezes had done nothing, was mistakenly ID’d, was stalked and effectively assassinated. It looks like this guy has stabbed and killed, was a detonation risk and was being pinned down by Joe Public who also thought he was a risk. Meanwhile other members of the public watched and filmed. And you reckon the officer thought - you know what - I might just get away with a cheeky wee couple of shots and I can always confiscate all the mobile phone footage and lie about he suicide vest thingy?

B3CAEADE-F113-42E8-BF03-5ECDA8939FA4.png

33 minutes ago, Old Pack said:

Your worse than the knife wielding terrorist you utter c**t.

Oh my word!

I rather think that you may have have misunderstood or at least underappreciated the nuance of my point.

I'm nothing if not generous and I'd invite you to moderate by an octave or so and perhaps you may have cause to thank me in time.

16 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Not wishing to upset anyone, as I probably have broadly similar political principles as the majority on here, but simply because Theresa May's government decided to adopt the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance's definition of antisemitism almost three years ago doesn't mean we collectively have to accept it.

The term has been hijacked for political ends. Attempting to insult people on the basis of their religion is wrong, as is insulting the intelligence of the population.

14 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

The de Menezes killing was a disgrace - but even from the limited info in the public domain regarding today, it’s a cheap shot to link the two. De Menezes had done nothing, was mistakenly ID’d, was stalked and effectively assassinated. It looks like this guy has stabbed and killed, was a detonation risk and was being pinned down by Joe Public who also thought he was a risk. Meanwhile other members of the public watched and filmed. And you reckon the officer thought - you know what - I might just get away with a cheeky wee couple of shots and I can always confiscate all the mobile phone footage and lie about he suicide vest thingy?

B3CAEADE-F113-42E8-BF03-5ECDA8939FA4.png

The cheap shot is yours.    I hardly have sympathy for some bloke with a machete.  However, given the history of police with guns,

how they use them, and how always, always they get away it, an ascerbic comment is valid.

And the only person making a stupid piece of amusement, is you.

21 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Have to wonder if some on the left started banging on about various forms of identity politics so much and developed an unhealthy obsession with Israel because they despaired of ever convincing the proles that the City of London and monarchy have a malign influence on British society that calls for radical changes to be made a lot closer to home:

...and breathe.

CourageousIdealAmoeba-size_restricted.gi

Are the The Rangers fans antisemitic when they claim Big Jock (Schtein) Knew? (depending how they pronounce it)
Asking for Mossad.

Go on, I’ll bite. Wtf you trying to achieve with this pish? Completely passing me by so far but I’m sure you’ll have a very clever punchline...

46 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Not wishing to upset anyone, as I probably have broadly similar political principles as the majority on here, but simply because Theresa May's government decided to adopt the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance's definition of antisemitism almost three years ago doesn't mean we collectively have to accept it.

The term has been hijacked for political ends. Attempting to insult people on the basis of their religion is wrong, as is insulting the intelligence of the population.

I can't see what you're objecting to in there, accusing Jews of disloyalty to their country is a well-established anti-semitic trope, but ok. If he can back up that accusation with specific examples then fine, or course it's possibly true of some individuals; but a general smear is blatantly anti-semitic.

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

Who, and why do you think that?

Accusations that Jews are more loyal to Israel than the country in which they live is literally an example in the definition of anti-semitism, so you need to be able to back that up.

"Accusing Jewish citizens of being more loyal to Israel, or to the alleged priorities of Jews worldwide, than to the interests of their own nations."

https://www.holocaustremembrance.com/working-definition-antisemitism 

Margaret Hodge and Ruth Smeeth  have both refused to say they want Corbyn, the leader of their party, to be PM.  That has been reasonably widely reported and if you don’t know that maybe you shouldn’t join in the debate.

The question should be asked: 

a)  do they, and others like the chief rabbi, oppose  Corbyn because they really think that he is anti-Semitic and/or that there’s a huge problem of anti-Semitism in the Labour Party that Corbyn is responsible for; or

b)  do they oppose Corbyn because he is openly critical of Israel’s treatment of Palestinians?

I refute that definition of anti-Semitism by the way. It is a nonsense to think that there are Jews who don’t have greater allegiance to Israel that to their “own nations”.  Don’t know how widespread it is; maybe, like anti-Semitism in the Labour Party, it’s very small.

Sure he could. It's just what people like me value is so radically different to what people like you value that you couldn't possibly understand how anybody could.

Well I value democracy and if you vote for Corbyn, Sturgeon or Swinson I’m afraid you don’t value democracy. Might as well go and live in a dictatorship with your ‘I lost the vote and I can’t take it’ attitude.

6 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Margaret Hodge and Ruth Smeeth  have both refused to say they want Corbyn, the leader of their party, to be PM.  That has been reasonably widely reported and if you don’t know that maybe you shouldn’t join in the debate. 

You're kidding, of course.

https://labourlist.org/2019/09/hodge-im-not-giving-up-until-corbyn-ceases-to-be-leader/

Edited by ICTJohnboy

10 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

The question should be asked: 

a)  do they, and others like the chief rabbi, oppose  Corbyn because they really think that he is anti-Semitic and/or that there’s a huge problem of anti-Semitism in the Labour Party that Corbyn is responsible for; or

b)  do they oppose Corbyn because he is openly critical of Israel’s treatment of Palestinians?

I refute that definition of anti-Semitism by the way. It is a nonsense to think that there are Jews who don’t have greater allegiance to Israel that to their “own nations”.  Don’t know how widespread it is; maybe, like anti-Semitism in the Labour Party, it’s very small.

I don't know Ruth Smeeth, but to accuse Margaret Hodge of having more loyalty to Israel or to other Jews than to the UK is fucking heinous. It's unequivocally anti-semitic, and if you don't see how then there's only one explanation for that.

Hodge and others are perfectly entitled to draw conclusions from the Labour Party's abject failure to deal with the huge number of complaints of anti-semitism inside the party under Corbyn's leadership. To suggest it's motivated by anything else is despicable.