General Election 2019 - AND IT’S LIVE!

Frank Grimes

X in the box for   

467 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

48 minutes ago, johnthebaptistist said:

You are right I do not live in Scotland, haven't done for 9 years. I moved away because I knew that I could get a better career in England, that has been proved correct. The other reason for moving is the government backed neanderthal view on religious biggotry, again I was proved correct as it is not existant down here.

You might have lived in Scotland but you weren't born there.

And saying you moved because of religious bigotry is asinine and totally made up.

3 minutes ago, The OP said:

Not having people in Brussels (including British politicians) dictating to them on important issues like vacuum cleaner efficiency. 

Yet being content with voting in a new government that has to pass legislation through this mob below for superior 'approval'.  :wacko:

Unlike the elected House of Commons, members of the House of Lords (excluding 90 hereditary peers elected among themselves and two peers who are ex officio members) are appointed.  The membership of the House of Lords is drawn from the peerage and is made up of Lords Spiritual and Lords Temporal. The Lords Spiritual are 26 bishops in the established Church of England.  Of the Lords Temporal, the majority are life peers who are appointed on the advice of the Prime Minister, or on the advice of the House of Lords Appointments Commission. However, they also include some hereditary peers including four dukes.

The peerage in the United Kingdom is a legal system comprising both hereditary and lifetime titles, composed of various noble ranks, and forming a constituent part of the British honours system. 

3 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Agree

I was on polling duty with a very anti Tory pro EU Englishman who has stayed in Dundee since he finished Uni.

He votes Lib Dems because he cannot vote for the SNP because he sees it as a Scottish only English hating party. He thinks the Independence movement is similar. Extremely frustrating hearing that especially when in my opinion if you pay any attention to the SNP it couldn't be further from the truth. Not sure how you tackle that..

Anyway, with a whole 15 hours of speaking to the guy I think he's maybe realised what YES is all about now. I'd like to think so anyway, hoping the results last night have hammered home what I was saying.

Seriously what are you listening too?

8 minutes ago, The Gypsy King said:

They just want it "done". Completely ignoring the fact that, after three separate PMs, two general elections and endless negotiations, Brexit is nowhere near "done".

We are at the start of the Brexit negotiations.  Anyone who thinks that Brexit is done is an idiot and is in for a very rude awakening.

5 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

I cannot agree. Sturgeon made the election in Scotland about Indy Ref 2 - not about Brexit. She did that quite deliberately and she's only managed 45% of vote - the same kind of figures that voted Yes in the Referendum in 2014. 

Boris Johnson has a clear and substantial majority in the House of Commons. He will serve the full term and he will not sanction a second Independence Referendum - just as he didn't sanction a second EU referendum. Scotland voted in it's once in a generation Independence Referendum and voted No. The fact that every opinion poll since, and every election since Scotland has proved conclusively that there has been no change in the figures puts the issue to bed. 

The majority of people in the UK voted for pro-Second Vote parties. By your logic, we should be having a Second Vote.

ETA: a second vote on EU membership that is, for avoidance of doubt.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

8 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

I cannot agree. Sturgeon made the election in Scotland about Indy Ref 2

No more than the Tories here made their vote about "say no to Indy Ref 2".

I got six flyers/letters from my now former MP Colin Clark, all of which were solely about anti-IndyRef (minus one little bit about how he once wrote a letter for somebody with a leaking pipe).  Nothing about Brexit, nothing about the day job. 

1 minute ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

The majority of people in the UK voted for pro-Second Vote parties. By your logic, we should be having a Second Vote.

ETA: a second vote on EU membership that is, for avoidance of doubt.

Really? The Tories were very clear they didn't want a second referendum, as were the Lib Dems - it they won they would "revoke Article 50". 

1 minute ago, Hedgecutter said:

No more than the Tories here made their vote about "say no to Indy Ref 2".

I got six flyers/letters from my now former MP Colin Clark, all of which were solely about anti-IndyRef (minus one little bit about how he once wrote a letter for somebody with a leaking pipe).  Nothing about Brexit, nothing about the day job. 

And the Unionist argument won. 54% of the share of the vote. 

For what it’s worth (absolute hee haw really) I know three people who voted Labour last night and have said since the results that they feel there is now no choice but to pursue independence.

I fully agree, as someone who in be the past, pre Brexit, was against Indy.

I am now yes.

But in the hope that Indy would provide a space for a centrist party to come back. I think England will now be fairly hard right for a long time.

5 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

And the Unionist argument won. 54% of the share of the vote. 

Hi Malky,

Are you saying that absolutely every Labour and Lib Dem voter will vote against independence?

Even with several on here saying they are pro independence?

Thanks.

Just now, DigOutYourSoul said:

But in the hope that Indy would provide a space for a centrist party to come back. I think England will now be fairly hard right for a long time.

The whole thing is cyclical. When Brexit doesn't cure the ills they will look elsewhere for a solution and a central party will emerge again. I think the next 10 years are done though.

1 minute ago, Ross. said:

Hi Malky,

Are you saying that absolutely every Labour and Lib Dem voter will vote against independence?

Even with several on here saying they are pro independence?

Thanks.

Nope - but in the same way tactical voting and the lack of decent leadership from other Scottish parties saw many vote for the SNP who would not vote for Scottish Independence.