General Election 2019 - AND IT’S LIVE!

Frank Grimes

X in the box for   

467 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

Doubt it. There has NEVER been majority support for Scottish Independence and there are £12.6Bn reasons why not. 

I would have agreed with you looking at the sample polls taken about 6 months before David Cameron granted us Indyref1.

I'm sure even you would have to agree that the Indy movement has come a long way since then.

Also, surely Labour have no choice but to at least adopt a policy of neutrality on independence, or at least on holding another referendum.

As for the Liberals, what is the point in them? They stood for the UK and EU - but England and Wales want absolutely nothing to do with Europe and never will again. We'll be out in a matter of weeks. Are they seriously going to continue advocating that they can influence the UK one day reapplying for EU membership and use that as a basis for saying Scotland should stay within the Union? It's laughable.

The reality is either remaining part of Tory-majority Brexit UK, or embracing Scotland as an independent nation within Europe. There is no in between anymore. You have to choose what side you are on and pick one or the other.

39 minutes ago, johnthebaptistist said:

You will be a bankrupt country and not fit their financial criteria.

Staying with de pfeffellll and his cabal, Scotland will continue to be that wee county thingy north of england and will be westminster's bitch to be dealt with as they see fit for ever.

We're already suffering financially from the westminster ideology of advancing the wealthy and shitting on those not in that wee group.  Going alone will allow us to prosper in the longer period instead of being spoon fed handouts as we are and have been.

Europe will accept Scotland.

14 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

The SNP had a decent night in terms of seats won but they have only managed a 45% share of the vote in Scotland with one seat left to declare. The Unionist share of the vote in Scotland was 54%. There is no evidence of increased support for Scottish Independence or for an Indy Ref 2. Indeed 1.6m voted for it in 2014. Last night only 1.2m did. 

Except that is not how this works at all you utter cretin.

7 minutes ago, johnthebaptistist said:

You are right I do not live in Scotland, haven't done for 9 years. I moved away because I knew that I could get a better career in England, that has been proved correct. The other reason for moving is the government backed neanderthal view on religious biggotry, again I was proved correct as it is not existant down here.

Does your career in England involve writing and spelling?

No wonder that country's fucked up.

16 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

The SNP had a decent night in terms of seats won but they have only managed a 45% share of the vote in Scotland with one seat left to declare. The Unionist share of the vote in Scotland was 54%. There is no evidence of increased support for Scottish Independence or for an Indy Ref 2. Indeed 1.6m voted for it in 2014. Last night only 1.2m did. 

giphy.gif

10 minutes ago, johnthebaptistist said:

You are right I do not live in Scotland, haven't done for 9 years. I moved away because I knew that I could get a better career in England, that has been proved correct. The other reason for moving is the government backed neanderthal view on religious biggotry, again I was proved correct as it is not existant down here.

Seems the Scottish education system failed you as well. You should add that to your list.

4 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Except that is not how this works at all you utter cretin.

Erm yes it is. In any referendum the majority wins just like in 2014.i know you were probably too drug addled to grasp that but if you can't get a majority you don't have any mandate for spending yet another £11million + on a referendum when that cash should be going into education and Scottish health care. 

4 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

BBC website and Scottish referendum page. 

Quoi ????   Nae copy and paste ???   You're slipping mi poco trago - or is it just that the quote was another of your opportunities to get some variation of the figures from your 12.6 you normally spout ??

Enjoy your wee wankathon with de pfeffellll, but beware, the "decent" victory achieved last night by the SNP is building momentum for and towards Independence. 

8 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

Erm yes it is. In any referendum the majority wins just like in 2014.i know you were probably too drug addled to grasp that but if you can't get a majority you don't have any mandate for spending yet another £11million + on a referendum when that cash should be going into education and Scottish health care. 

Or buying the DUP for >£1bn and jizzing away squillions on Trident when . . . . . . . . . 

31 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

Even if that was how it actually worked, the Tories have less of a share when claiming that a Tory landslide is a mandate for Brexit.

Not all non-SNP votes are 'unionist' votes, just as not all SNP votes are pro-Indy votes.  If you can't grasp this most basic of concepts then I'm afraid you're not a particularly bright individual, up there with the new Tory voters who are currently Googling what the Tories actually stand for in post-Brexit "what is the EU?" fashion.

Last night is one of those results where a lot of Scottish people previously uncertain about independence go "f**k this". The worry is, like the initial reaction to Brexit, the current initial reaction will abate somewhat with time and people getting used to the shitshow.

Edited by The OP

Just now, Biscuits said:

I wish some of these new Tory voters would actually tell me what they expect from the utopia of brexit. Do they even fuckin know??

Not having people in Brussels (including British politicians) dictating to them on important issues like vacuum cleaner efficiency. 

7 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

03FA5F3B-7CAA-4649-BEF1-E25BDA4237DE.gif

If you think that was a bit too emotional, you should have seen the next bit where she sprinted across that shiny floor, sliding to her knees and pulling her blouse up over her head, revealing a giant tattoo across her chest saying "GIRFUY Swinson"

1 minute ago, Biscuits said:

I wish some of these new Tory voters would actually tell me what they expect from the utopia of brexit. Do they even fuckin know??

They just want it "done". Completely ignoring the fact that, after three separate PMs, two general elections and endless negotiations, Brexit is nowhere near "done".

I'm not comfortable with the yes side going down this route in terms of tactics.

Scotland is for anyone who wants to live here, and always should be.

Let's not get all little scotlander.

Agree

I was on polling duty with a very anti Tory pro EU Englishman who has stayed in Dundee since he finished Uni.

He votes Lib Dems because he cannot vote for the SNP because he sees it as a Scottish only English hating party. He thinks the Independence movement is similar. Extremely frustrating hearing that especially when in my opinion if you pay any attention to the SNP it couldn't be further from the truth. Not sure how you tackle that..

Anyway, with a whole 15 hours of speaking to the guy I think he's maybe realised what YES is all about now. I'd like to think so anyway, hoping the results last night have hammered home what I was saying.

28 minutes ago, Snafu said:

I found the figures for all the votes around Scotland, don't mind me if I put them up for reference purposes.

SNP - 1,242,380

Conservatives - 692,939

Labour - 511,838

Lib Dems - 263,417

Greens - 28,122

Brexit Party - 13,243

UKIP - 3,303

Others (If needed I can break this down) - 3,819

Have to say it but this is conclusive evidence that the majority of people in Scotland want to remain in the EU and therefore now there is a case for an Indyref2.

I cannot agree. Sturgeon made the election in Scotland about Indy Ref 2 - not about Brexit. She did that quite deliberately and she's only managed 45% of vote - the same kind of figures that voted Yes in the Referendum in 2014. 

Boris Johnson has a clear and substantial majority in the House of Commons. He will serve the full term and he will not sanction a second Independence Referendum - just as he didn't sanction a second EU referendum. Scotland voted in it's once in a generation Independence Referendum and voted No. The fact that every opinion poll since, and every election since Scotland has proved conclusively that there has been no change in the figures puts the issue to bed.