General Election 2019 - AND IT’S LIVE!

Frank Grimes

X in the box for   

467 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, speckled tangerine said:

With a nationalist majority in Norn Iron for the first time ever you'd  think that, combined with the Scottish result puts the UK on life support. It surely has to follow that calls for a border poll will increase.

There is no nationalist majority in NI. If you look at the vote shares, the nationalist/republican vote share actually declined slightly and sits at under 40%.

Just now, LongTimeLurker said:

There is no nationalist majority in NI. If you look at the vote shares, the nationalist/republican vote share actually declined slightly and sits at under 40%.

I hadn't  looked at the percentages but good point. I wonder how the soft yoons will go when brexit kicks in?  Boris is about to stab them in the front with this border in the sea. Can't see that going down well at all.....

11 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

By that logic, with 43% the Tories have no mandate to govern.

The Tories are very good at repeating a slogan and making it a mantra.  

The SNP must do the same with the point you make.  If 43% makes Johnson's government legitimate then 45% does the same for the SNP mandate.

This must be repeated by every SNP spokesperson at every opportunity.

Just now, speckled tangerine said:

I hadn't  looked at the percentages but good point. I wonder how the soft yoons will go when brexit kicks in?  Boris is about to stab them in the front with this border in the sea. Can't see that going down well at all.....

A lot will depend on how hard the border is once the dust settles and how close trading ties remain between the UK and EU.

8 minutes ago, speckled tangerine said:

Keir starmer? Labour will probably shoot themselves in the foot again with Angela Rayner or someone just to let a woman have a turn.

If I was still active in the Labour Party I’d want Clive Lewis.  Don’t know if he will stand though.

1024px-Population_pyramid_for_England_us

Just to remind people, over the coming 20 years the share of the population over 50 vs under 30 will grow significantly. We will be less able to rely on consumers and consumer credit for growth in the dominant service sector, Pension funds will be selling more government bonds than buying them. And the politics of the UK and Scotland will increasingly reflect the values of an ageing population. 

For Europe it is that above but with serious structural issues around government and private sector debts. (the graphic is for 2011 census so add abut 8 years to that.)

Edited by dorlomin

33 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

The Tories are very good at repeating a slogan and making it a mantra.  

The SNP must do the same with the point you make.  If 43% makes Johnson's government legitimate then 45% does the same for the SNP mandate.

This must be repeated by every SNP spokesperson at every opportunity.

Absolutely. "We're more legitimate than you" doesn't ring right. They should go with "You're more of a b*****d than us".

4 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

1024px-Population_pyramid_for_England_us

Just to remind people, over the coming 20 years the share of the population over 50 vs under 30 will grow significantly. We will be less able to rely on consumers and consumer credit for growth in the dominant service sector, Pension funds will be selling more government bonds than buying them. And the politics of the UK and Scotland will increasingly reflect the values of an ageing population. 

For Europe it is that above but with serious structural issues around government and private sector debts. (the graphic is for 2011 census so add abut 8 years to that.)

It's something that is going to affect the entire developed world, and people still don't have an answer to it. Importing people young enough to support the old has been the sticking plaster but is not the long term answer. Systematic changes seem the only answer but no one seems willing to consider anything that is even half approaching "radical".

15 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I'm not comfortable with the yes side going down this route in terms of tactics.

Scotland is for anyone who wants to live here, and always should be.

Let's not get all little scotlander.

I get what you are saying but it feels to me that some appear to be voting not in the constituency but in the constituency where they came from. I’m pleased that we don’t follow the English route in blocking votes (eg EU members in the EU referundum). Just expressing disappointment.