General Election 2019 - AND IT’S LIVE!

Frank Grimes

X in the box for   

467 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Annoyed that we shat the bed and let the Lib Dems back in here. The octogenarians were out in force with their vote for Ming Campbell.

What an absolute disaster the UK is now though. How anyone in Scotland can see the state of it and think we're best off being dragged along with it is beyond me. It was beyond me in 2014 anyway, but now, holy f**k.

Edited by Zetterlund

Well done the people Lanark and Hamilton East, who booted the Tories in the bollocks last night.

I feel so sorry for all the decent English and Welsh people who have been sold another five years of misery by their blinkered country men and women.

Brexit will be done, and only turbo charge the misery for these poor souls.

F**k the Union. England is dead to me.

Rubbish. A big Tory majority means they don't need to bother about the SNP. They can simply swat them away. There's no chance of a legal Indy Ref 2 whilst the Tories have a solid majority. 
Are you still here, with your rinse, repeat nonsense. You are an irrelevance, just like your party in Scotland.

Well the UK will be out of Europe by February.

We will be leaving as our trading partners and us face at least 20 years of economic stagnation and crises, likely kicking off with the growing banking crisis in Italy. 

By the next election in 2024 it will have been 50 years since anyone other than Tony Blair won a general election for Labour. 

Over the coming 5 years the boomers will finish retiring. In the next 20 years generation X will be getting over that line or at least at a point where pensions are their biggest worries, this means our coming decades will be defined by economic lack of growth, rapid rising bills for health and social welfare and the non performing private pensions. 

Labour are now pretty much a party of the cities. For example the Durham miners gala is going to be held in a Tory held town after this election. Seats like Sedgefield and Bolsover are now Tory. 

Labour's path back to being electable has to start with being a party for the people in the towns as much as the economically prosperous, multicultural and young cities. 

I bet we do not leave without a deal on the 31st of December next year, Boris' majority is big enough that he can ditch yet another promise or at least set up a deal that is something the ERG loons will hate but works more comfortably. 

Really grim.

The only saving grace of the Exit Poll was the Scottish picture, but even that picture - despite representing SNP success - is less impressive in the actual results.

Once more, my forelock tugging little corner of the country lets people down.  Bloody embarrassing.

So both my ones-to-watch changed hands, and I was wrong on Kirkcaldy, Gordon and East Dunbartonshire (all very close). I'm happy enough with that.
I was close

SNP 49 - missed the Swinson gain, got Gethins right but the 2 Tory fishing seats wrong)
Tory 4 (Moray and Banff & Buchan did me)
Lib Dem 5 (didn't get Swinson's loss)
Labour 1 - as predicted - Murray

18 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

In a couple of years Jo Swinson will be the answer to a question in a pub night trivia quiz.

Suspect she'll want to try again as she is at an awkward sort of age to do anything else in career terms. Here's a tip if you run again Lulu. Try to sound like you come from the constituency you grew up in, if you want to be it's MP, because otherwise you are going to seriously get on people's nerves. Too ambitious for her own good basically. Politics can be ruthless, so it will be interesting to see if the Lib Dems will see her as damaged goods and look elsewhere in candidate selection terms.

2 hours ago, Malky3 said:

What will be interesting is when all the votes are counted in Scotland to see if the Independence Parties managed to get more than 50% of the vote. If they didn't they haven't got a mandate for Indy Ref 2 from the people of Scotland. Cuirrently it looks like the Nationalist parties only have 46%

By that logic, with 43% the Tories have no mandate to govern.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

By that logic, with 43% the Tories have no mandate to govern.

The Remain parties also outpolled the Leave ones, so do they even have a mandate for Brexit using that rationale? Brexit is going to happen at a time when Remain is consistently ahead in the opinion polls.

Labour's path back to power is to have a leader who will obviously win the next election.  It does not need to be obvious now but certainly in the run up.

People vote for a winner.  It was easy to imagine Johnson winning the election but never Corbyn.

Choosing a leader that non-Labour voters are okay with will be important.  That does not mean selling out on principles.  It does mean someone with less  baggage than Corbyn.

"Stuck" it's a bigger percentage than the Tories managed UK wide. You also assume there were no pro independence voters among the voters for the other parties which is of course nonsense. It was a result beyond any predictions or expectations for the SNP and the new independence bill will sail through next week. Buckle up !

Ofcourse not, it's only a % of those who voted. Those who stayed at home or spoiled their papers aren't counted in the figures either. But still the SNP support is stuck at 45%. What a shame

2 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Labour's path back to power is to have a leader who will obviously win the next election.  It does not need to be obvious now but certainly in the run up.

People vote for a winner.  It was easy to imagine Johnson winning the election but never Corbyn.

Choosing a leader that non-Labour voters are okay with will be important.  That does not mean selling out on principles.  It does mean someone with less  baggage than Corbyn.

Keir starmer? Labour will probably shoot themselves in the foot again with Angela Rayner or someone just to let a woman have a turn.