General Election 2019 - AND IT’S LIVE!

Frank Grimes

X in the box for   

467 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, Malky3 said:

Are you offering to pay for it? Or should more money be diverted out of the Scottish NHS to pay for it? 

What are you slavering about? The whole campaign is funded through party member donations.

Is the Scottish NHS paying for this general election?

3 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

What are you slavering about? The whole campaign is funded through party member donations.

Is the Scottish NHS paying for this general election?

Seriously?! You think the cost of the election is covered by party donations. 

Jesus. You are a bigger idiot than I first thought. 

Isn't it disgraceful that while there are people starving and using foodbanks, Scottish Nationalists are demanding we piss more taxpayers money away on another vote to tell them no-one wants Scottish Independence. 

Edited by Malky3

1 minute ago, Malky3 said:

Seriously?! You think the cost of the election is covered by party donations. 

Jesus. You are a bigger idiot than I first thought. 

You don't seem to have a problem with elections though. So why would the funding of a referendum bother you so much?

Unless you're just secretly shiting yourself at the prospect of it not going your way.

You don't seem to have a problem with elections though. So why would the funding of a referendum bother you so much?

Unless you're just secretly shiting yourself at the prospect of it not going your way.

I mean, we just had one, and it went his way. Just because it didn’t go yours doesn’t mean we need another one, it totally defeats the point of the first vote. Same goes for Brexit.

Malky gives us a quote

"Securing home rule – SNP MPs will demand that the proposals of the Smith commission are delivered in full and as quickly as possible, but the manifesto also states that Smith did not go far enough to honour the promises made during the referendum. The SNP will seek a phased transition to full financial responsibility, and in the meantime devolution of powers over employment policy, welfare, business taxes, national insurance and equality policy."

Don't let Malky fool you, folks. The quote above isn't from the SNP manifesto. It's someone's interpretation of it. Here's an actual quote from the manifesto

"DELIVERING HOME RULE FOR SCOTLAND
The SNP believes that decisions about Scotland’s future
– about our economy and society – are best taken by
the people of Scotland: the more powers we have in
Scotland the more we can achieve for the people who
live here.
That is why we campaigned for a Scottish Parliament
and voted for the Scotland Act 1998. It is why we
supported the limited extension of devolution in the
Scotland Act 2012, and called for a far more substantial
package of powers at that point.
The same principle underpins our continued support for
independence and was at the heart of our campaign for
a Yes vote in September 2014."

Malky's talking shite again!

Edited by lichtgilphead

2 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

Malky gives us a quote

"Securing home rule – SNP MPs will demand that the proposals of the Smith commission are delivered in full and as quickly as possible, but the manifesto also states that Smith did not go far enough to honour the promises made during the referendum. The SNP will seek a phased transition to full financial responsibility, and in the meantime devolution of powers over employment policy, welfare, business taxes, national insurance and equality policy."

Don't let Malky fool youl, folks. The quote above isn't from the SNP manifesto. It's someone's interpretation of it. Here's an actualmquote from the manifesto

"DELIVERING HOME RULE FOR SCOTLAND
live here.
That is why we campaigned for a Scottish Parliament
and voted for the Scotland Act 1998. It is why we
supported the limited extension of devolution in the
Scotland Act 2012, and called for a far more substantial
package of powers at that point.
The same principle underpins our continued support for
independence and was at the heart of our campaign for
a Yes vote in September 2014."

Not at all. The SNP dropped Scottish Independence from their 2015 campaign and there was no mention of an Indy Ref 2. No wonder really. They had just had their arses handed to them. 

There has NEVER been a majority of Scots in favour of Scottish Independence. 

2 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

Not at all. The SNP dropped Scottish Independence from their 2015 campaign and there was no mention of an Indy Ref 2. No wonder really. They had just had their arses handed to them. 

Boris majority and a No Deal Brexit will change  that.

5 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

live here.

That is one scary quote but one which is probably a fair summary of the Natters.

Just now, Malky3 said:

1) I 've already shown that a majority of Scottish voters voted for independence supporting parties in 2015

2) As usual, you are discounting labour & lib-dem "Yes" voters

3) A majority of Scots voted "yes " to independence in 2014.  However, non-Scots voters were heavily against. I think the EU voters will support "Yes" next time though

2 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

1) I 've already shown that a majority of Scottish voters voted for independence supporting parties in 2015

2) As usual, you are discounting labour & lib-dem "Yes" voters

3) A majority of Scots voted "yes " to independence in 2014.  However, non-Scots voters were heavily against. I think the EU voters will support "Yes" next time though

Labour and Lib Dems stood with a declared policy of Unionism. What you are discounting though are those who voted SNP because they didn't want Ed Milliband to be PM. 

Some of the money was used to hire spies, such as Daniel Defoe; his first reports were of vivid descriptions of violent demonstrations against the Union. "A Scots rabble is the worst of its kind," he reported, "for every Scot in favour there is 99 against". Years later, Sir John Clerk of Penicuik, originally a leading Unionist, wrote in his memoirs that Defoe "was a spy among us, but not known as such, otherwise the Mob of Edinburgh would pull him to pieces."

The Treaty was hated in Scotland at the time. Riots occurred in Edinburgh, as well as substantial riots in Glasgow. The people of Edinburgh demonstrated against the treaty, and their apparent leader in opposition to the Unionists was James Hamilton, 4th Duke of Hamilton. However, Hamilton was actually on the side of the English Government. Demonstrators in Edinburgh were opposed to the Union for many reasons: they feared the Kirk would be Anglicised; that Anglicisation would remove democracy from the only really elementally democratic part of the Kingdom; and they feared that tax rises would come.[38]

Sir George Lockhart of Carnwath, the only member of the Scottish negotiating team against union, noted that "The whole nation appears against the Union"[39] and even Sir John Clerk of Penicuik, an ardent pro-unionist and Union negotiator, observed that the treaty was "contrary to the inclinations of at least three-fourths of the Kingdom".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acts_of_Union_1707#Scottish_perspective

Edited by welshbairn

6 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

Labour and Lib Dems stood with a declared policy of Unionism. What you are discounting though are those who voted SNP because they didn't want Ed Milliband to be PM. 

https://www.ipsos.com/sites/default/files/ct/news/documents/2019-11/ipsos-mori-scotland-election-2019-pm-tables.pdf

Latest IPSO/MORI poll I can find gives the following weighted figures (excluding refused/don't know/would not vote)

Party/Yes/No

Con 3/199

Lab 46/81

LD 10/68

SNP 333/22

Brex 3/5

Green 6/9

Other 1/4

TOTAL 402/388

This suggests that there are more "unionist" party supporters that would vote "Yes" than "Indy" party supporters that would vote "No"

However, it proves the point I've been making all along. Voting for a party doesn't correlate with voting in the way that that party would like you to vote in Indyref 2

10 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

https://www.ipsos.com/sites/default/files/ct/news/documents/2019-11/ipsos-mori-scotland-election-2019-pm-tables.pdf

Latest IPSO/MORI poll I can find gives the following weighted figures (excluding refused/don't know/would not vote)

Party/Yes/No

Con 3/199

Lab 46/81

LD 10/68

SNP 333/22

Brex 3/5

Green 6/9

Other 1/4

TOTAL 402/388

This suggests that there are more "unionist" party supporters that would vote "Yes" than "Indy" party supporters that would vote "No"

However, it proves the point I've been making all along. Voting for a party doesn't correlate with voting in the way that that party would like you to vote in Indyref 2

True, and in 2014 Scotland absolutely rejected Scottish Independence. Something that was supposed to be a once in a generation vote costing the Scottish taxpayer £10.5m. Money that was taken away from public services just so the SNP could be told to go f**k themselves. Why should we do it again when every single Scottish Independence Opinion Poll shows the majority of Scots haven't changed their mind?

Scottish Independence is a dead duck for the next 20 years at least. I hope Boris legislates against it with his new large majority at Westminster. 

I'm not going to quote you Malky, to save the folks who have you on ignore, but

Isn't it disgraceful that while there are people starving and using foodbanks

Isn't it revolting that you're going to vote for the party that have presided over and necessitated the explosion in foodbanks?

Edited by carpetmonster

4 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

I'm not going to quote you Malky, to save the folks who have you on ignore, but

Isn't it disgraceful that while there are people starving and using foodbanks

Isn't it revolting that you're going to vote for the party that have presided over and necessitated the explosion in foodbanks?

I have explained my views on that many times over but I'm guessing you didn't get the hint of irony in my post. Those who like to lambast the Tories about foodbanks are on here calling for a £10.5m + spend on a vote so the Scottish public can tell them what we already know.

THAT SCOTS DO NOT WANT INDEPENDENCE FROM THE UK!!!!!!

Malky says that the 2014 indyref cost £10.5m.

The electorate at the time was 4,283,392

That works out at under £2.50 per voter.

Interesting to see the price that Malky places on democracy - £2.50 would buy him 5 Marlboro and a match.

Edited by lichtgilphead