General Election 2019 - AND IT’S LIVE!

Frank Grimes

X in the box for   

467 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

Whose policy would be to support a referendum.

Fixed. 

Not to have spent 3 and a half years dithering between remain and leave then promise to renegotiate the leave option and dither over who will campaign for the deal they negotiate. 

Yep. Every election/referendum has loads of scaremongering, propaganda and lies attached to it. The result of the referendum has to be delivered whether you agree with it or not, as that’s democracy.

Well apart from the referendum itself being advisory (the government could have made it legally binding but didn't) and the fact that referendum results aren't implemented enough that it isn't an infrequent occurrence and that one side was found to have broken electoral law and that even the side who won cant agree what the result actually means, obviously that's democracy.

It's possibly the least shitty option available but the idea of renegotiating a deal from here is a bit mental, imo. Presumably the EU's ideal scenario would be the UK not leaving and the next best option would be a deal which doesn't incentivise others to leave or generally the undermine the rest of the union. Knowing that it is going straight back to the electorate in a take it or leave it scenario, what would be the EU's motivation for offering a deal that is remotely attractive to anyone?

Jezza: Alright, this time we want a seamless trading relationship without your competition and state aid rules.

EU: giphy.gif 

3 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

The other interesting thing I was told by a Labour campaigner is that there is no media bias one way or another - not even from the BBC! :lol:

Right then! :rolleyes:

They must be losing because their grassroots campaigning is so bad, then  :whistle

Well apart from the referendum itself being advisory (the government could have made it legally binding but didn't) and the fact that referendum results aren't implemented enough that it isn't an infrequent occurrence and that one side was found to have broken electoral law and that even the side who won cant agree what the result actually means, obviously that's democracy.

The result means leave mate. Leave means leave. We must leave.

How would you have felt had Scotland voted to leave but votes from the rest of the UK meant we had to remain?

Scotland democratically voted to remain in the UK, therefore it votes as the UK not Scotland. The UK democratically voted to leave, so we must leave. I did not vote to leave but I respect democracy, and I’m not sure some people realise how lucky we are to live in one.

But how would you have felt in that situation? Are you happy we're leaving because democracy or because you hate being Scottish and the thought of Scotland not getting the outcome it voted for gives you a buzz?

I’m not highly happy or highly unhappy we’re leaving. I wanted to remain, but we had a vote and we voted leave. That’s democracy.

Scotland did get the outcome it voted for, because it’s part of the UK, which it chose to be, and the UK voted to leave. It definitely strengthens the case for indyref2, however.

The ‘hate being Scottish’ stuff is just pathetic, I’m proud to be Scottish and wanting democracy to stand doesn’t change that. A bit of a crybaby comment that.

13 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

I don't really know what you're trying to make happen. The Tories have made an industry out of misery, against this

The Conservatives are led by a politician who was literally a clown on TV, a but of jokes while the grown ups got on with running the country. 

Every attempt to show why the loonies currently running the Labour Party are so repellent to large parts of the electorate, including life long Labour voters, is met with deflection, dishonesty and strawman counter arguments. 

Their manifesto is not a prospectus of a serious group of heavy weight thinkers ready to convince marginal seats across the country they will be a safe choice to run our country, it is self indulgent bollox from fringe activists. 

Boris fucking Johnson is running rings round the Labour Party, as much of a blatantly dishonest, amateur hour shitshow that clown is, he is able to appeal to voters that no Tory has in decades in preference to the McDonnell\Abbott\Corbyn circus. 

The voters are the people who matter. 

Convincing them that you are a party that takes national security, the economy, the justice system and all the other issues that voters take into subconscious account when choosing who to vote for.  Blubbering how unfair criticism of the Dear Leader in social media sites that mostly agree with you may indulge your need for emotional validation: But in 8 days, those voters are going to cast their votes. And barring an upset we will get Brexit, austerity and NHS sell off up the arse for the next 5 years because selfish wankers could not bear to hear criticisms of the current Labour leadership and build a prospectus for government that appealed to the voters. 

Edited by dorlomin

Just now, Tarmo Kink said:

I’m not highly happy or highly unhappy we’re leaving. I wanted to remain, but we had a vote and we voted leave. That’s democracy.

Scotland did get the outcome it voted for, because it’s part of the UK, which it chose to be, and the UK voted to leave. It definitely strengthens the case for indyref2, however.

The ‘hate being Scottish’ stuff is just pathetic, I’m proud to be Scottish and wanting democracy to stand doesn’t change that. A bit of a crybaby comment that.

In 2014, we were promised that a vote to remain as part of the "four equal partners"  -  aye, ah ken - would mean that we remain part of the European Union.  Like all uk-wide general elections, we are given whoever england wants and votes for, based on basic population numbers.  We are not "equal partners" no matter where your views lie about Yes/No and, despite Scotland voting to stay as part of the EU, we're about to succumb to the behest of the ever right wing little englander vote.

Notwithstanding there will be major issues and problems for a number of years, i believe we should pursue Independence where we have a government of OUR choosing, who puts OUR country first, pushing for the best interests of Scotland running our affairs.  The alternative is the status quo where we're westminster's bitches whilst helping to feed the continued prosperity and fiscal growth of london and the south east.

The impact will not affect me significantly due to my age and time left on this planet, but my children and their children deserve a future where it's THEIR country with THEIR interests at the forefront of the decisions taken by whichever government is in Holyrood. 

In 2014, we were promised that a vote to remain as part of the "four equal partners"  -  aye, ah ken - would mean that we remain part of the European Union.  Like all uk-wide general elections, we are given whoever england wants and votes for, based on basic population numbers.  We are not "equal partners" no matter where your views lie about Yes/No and, despite Scotland voting to stay as part of the EU, we're about to succumb to the behest of the ever right wing little englander vote.
Notwithstanding there will be major issues and problems for a number of years, i believe we should pursue Independence where we have a government of OUR choosing, who puts OUR country first, pushing for the best interests of Scotland running our affairs.  The alternative is the status quo where we're westminster's bitches whilst helping to feed the continued prosperity and fiscal growth of london and the south east.
The impact will not affect me significantly due to my age and time left on this planet, but my children and their children deserve a future where it's THEIR country with THEIR interests at the forefront of the decisions taken by whichever government is in Holyrood. 

I have never doubted that Scotland’s huge remain vote brings a strong case for indyref2 as there are clear political differences between Scotland and England. In indyref2, people may now vote based on that rather than shitting it because of Westminster scaremongering. However, none of that means Brexit should be cancelled and none of that means we should have another Brexit referendum as it’s simply anti-democratic and is a very dangerous precedent to set for the future. If Scotland votes Yes on indyref2, how would you feel if Westminster said ‘best of 3 lads?’.

We may have been promised to remain one of the ‘four equal partners’ but it’s blatantly obvious that was never going to be the case. Politicians lie all the time, I don’t know one who hasn’t, so if you voted to stay in the UK based on that then you’re a bit silly. The UK has voted to leave, so we must respect democracy and leave the EU. It does however, as I said, strengthen the case for indyref2.