General Election 2019 - AND IT’S LIVE!

Frank Grimes

X in the box for   

467 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

But his prospectus is that of a middling northern european country, no matter what our pundit class may wish to persuade you of, evidently with some success.

And with the most credible and democratic Brexit strategy, whilst ruling out the right wing nihilist project.

40 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

Spent a fair amount of time on Friday speaking with two people who are campaigning for The Labour Party - both spent most of the time talking about what is wrong with The Labour Party. 

Learn anything interesting?

Was the solution to vote for the Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party? Seem to be more and more "Labour" people who've decided that's a good idea, and not at all akin to turkeys voting for Christmas.

12 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Learn anything interesting?

Was the solution to vote for the Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party? Seem to be more and more "Labour" people who've decided that's a good idea, and not at all akin to turkeys voting for Christmas.

One fairly high profile guy said there best hope was a hung parliament- also said they didn't really want Corbyn as party leader or PM!

Currently thinking back to 2015 when centrist policy wonk Ed Miliband ate a bacon sandwich funny and was literally Stalin.
downloadfile-4.jpg.52cc04b3d3f045f2151f80a668856aa7.jpg

He certainly wasn’t “tough enous”.

A routine victory for Davie Cameron back in 2015.

23 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

One fairly high profile guy said there best hope was a hung parliament- also said they didn't really want Corbyn as party leader or PM!

Shame we're unlikely to see the scenes after a Labour majority is announced. It'd be a toss-up to see whose after-party most closely resembled a wake.

11 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Me too, I forget why, but he definitely deserves it.

He was behind the unbelievably misjudged "People's Vote" campaign for one, and undermined every centrist MP linked to him with his disastrous Iraq adventure. 

Edited by welshbairn

I’ll stick my head above the parapet....

Can anyone tell me what they hope to achieve by there being a hung parliament and how they expect that to pan out?

Cliches about ‘just keeping Tories out’ need not respond. How would it actually take us forward?

4 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

I’ll stick my head above the parapet....

Can anyone tell me what they hope to achieve by there being a hung parliament and how they expect that to pan out?

Cliches about ‘just keeping Tories out’ need not respond. How would it actually take us forward?

Time for a confirmatory referendum and a sensible way forward.

Time for a confirmatory referendum and a sensible way forward.

Ok, fair enough.

Indulge my hypothesising but say we did win independence on a (say) 55/45 vote - I doubt the break will be any easier than Brexit. But once we do get to a deal on our leaving the U.K. would that not also have to go to a confirmatory vote? I imagine the 45% (or even the (say) 20%) switherers might not like how the negotiated independence settlement might look?

2 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Ok, fair enough.

Indulge my hypothesising but say we did win independence on a (say) 55/45 vote - I doubt the break will be any easier than Brexit. But once we do get to a deal on our leaving the U.K. would that not also have to go to a confirmatory vote? I imagine the 45% (or even the (say) 20%) switherers might not like how the negotiated independence settlement might look?

I'd say if a rational way is found out of the Brexit mess there will be less appetite for an immediate referendum on indy. More likely a gradual progression with devo max and a federal system, to the point where independence will just be a formal stroke of a pen. If Johnson gets his way it won't just be a hard brexit he gets.