General Election 2019 - AND IT’S LIVE!

Frank Grimes

X in the box for   

467 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There must be a hoor of an amount of people with skin in the game with arms sales to Israel? Must be coincidental that the party conference voted to stop those sales. Totally, weirdly, coincidental.

I regret to inform you that Steven Daisley has written something.
IMG_20191129_000818.thumb.jpg.9583fd83b22058c4f16eb2a458a85d1b.jpg
And published it in the known anti racism publication *checks notes* The Spectator.

8 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

My point stands. 

Why is the most prominent politician in the UK being given  a free ride and not being confronted about his long history of racist remarks, while a list of candidates as long as your arm are standing down for equally offensive comments ? 

Of course that point stands. Johnson is a unrepentant homophobic racist and it’s an absolute disgrace that the media don’t bring this up at every opportunity, never mind not mentioning it at all, or only bringing it up to say ‘it’s not as bad as another party.’

That being an undeniable fact doesn’t mean you give other parties a free pass though. You said no one gives a shit about what Hanvey posted; it literally depicts a Jewish puppet master, with a further puppeteers hand with Rothschild written on it above him. It’s not even up for debate as an anti-Semitic cartoon.

Knowing that Boris Johnson is a racist and that the media have appallingly failed to report this doesn’t mean we make it open season for every other party to indulge in bigotry themselves. You can rightly point out the hypocrisy of the reporting as the media continue to ignore Islamophobia while there is no record of any other major party leader making racist remarks versus pages of them from Johnson, but when there are instances of blatant bigotry from other parties deselection and suspension/expulsion is absolutely the right thing to do.

I often wonder how often Boris Johnson was dropped on his head.

There is absolutely no way his brother and sister can be so different from him. The only explanation is being dropped on his head repeatedly.

I hadn't seen the actual cartoon. Having seen it I concur that imagery is not good and "liking" that is unacceptable so quite right he was dropped.

It beggars belief that we have adults in this country who don't recognise anti- semitism when it smacks them on the arse.
You two need to educate yourselves.
The sooner the better frankly.

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

Of course that point stands. Johnson is a unrepentant homophobic racist and it’s an absolute disgrace that the media don’t bring this up at every opportunity, never mind not mentioning it at all, or only bringing it up to say ‘it’s not as bad as another party.’

That being an undeniable fact doesn’t mean you give other parties a free pass though. You said no one gives a shit about what Hanvey posted; it literally depicts a Jewish puppet master, with a further puppeteers hand with Rothschild written on it above him. It’s not even up for debate as an anti-Semitic cartoon.

Knowing that Boris Johnson is a racist and that the media have appallingly failed to report this doesn’t mean we make it open season for every other party to indulge in bigotry themselves. You can rightly point out the hypocrisy of the reporting as the media continue to ignore Islamophobia while there is no record of any other major party leader making racist remarks versus pages of them from Johnson, but when there are instances of blatant bigotry from other parties deselection and suspension/expulsion is absolutely the right thing to do.

You're absolutely right of course.

I wasn't trying to give support to Hanvey, it's completely correct that he's been de-selected. The hypocrisy in this election campaign in sickening though. 

I know at this stage nothing should surprise me, but I’m still a little taken aback that the Telegraph is choosing to happily lead on the front page with the Tories threatening the C4 licence, as if it’s a good thing that the Government wants to interfere (more) with media.

At least the other Tory rags have had the decency to completely ignore it, on the front pages at least.

Brilliant approach by the Tory on GMS this morning.
How dare broadcasters dictate to parties who should appear at hustings, and all the other parties were scared to debate Gove, who is an expert on climate change.

I caught Stanley Johnson on BBC, who claimed he doesn’t know where his son was, but it was probably some important Prime Minister thing, but as per the news he was at a hospital in Penzance, which was probably very important, and he didn’t know where he was anyway, but it was important, because he’s Prime Minister and ‘you people’ (a direct quote) just don’t understand. And it was probably important.

On this antisemitism dismissal:

1. Is there not a vetting process for candidates within the party whereby you weed out people who have made unacceptable comments in the past? I mean it was 2016(?) which is hardly that long ago, surely wouldn't have taken too much digging to find that. To lose the SNP candidate in one of our main target seats that we'd be in with a good chance of winning is a real body blow. It's a shame we can't still campaign vigorously for people to vote SNP with the promise that a new candidate would be put in place after the election but I realise the drawbacks of that.

2. Is there not scope for forgiveness here? I won't pretend to know much about the candidate but he seems to have apologised in a sincere and genuine manner. From my knowledge, and I'm prepared to be corrected on this, it's not like his social media feed is full of scrawls of antisemitic posts. From what I gather, he's made one ill thought out comment and posted an image which he didn't fully understand the connotations of (he claims, whether you trust him on that or not is your own judgement). Boris Johnson's comments mentioned earlier in the thread have never been apologised for and yet he holds the highest power in the land. We all say stupid things sometimes and if there is genuine remorse and a sincere apology, can we not just forgive and move on? If the folk of Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath don't vote for him because of it, that's their choice and would be understandable, but if he was deemed a good enough person to put forward as the SNP candidate in the first place, I don't have a problem for showing a bit of forgiveness for genuine remorse.

12 hours ago, Im_Rodger said:

909734357_Screenshot2019-11-28at21_03_03.thumb.png.85a817b1c03602c3293af573ae85c5b7.png

7 out of the total 11 withdrawn or disowned candidates come from Scotland.

Not really a surprise, looking from the outside in, Scotland is a fairly racist place. There is a significant minority who revel in it, in various guises.

Re: The Soros cartoon. I had no idea he was Jewish but I subscribe to the view that financial institutions and those who represent them have too much influence over politics. Does this make me anti semitic?

5 minutes ago, Ross. said:

I subscribe to the view that financial institutions and those who represent them have too much influence over politics. Does this make me anti semitic?

There's a sizeable amount of people who'll say yes it does. They're disgenous p***ks though.