General Election 2019 - AND IT’S LIVE!

Frank Grimes

X in the box for   

467 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

All I would say is make sure you watch the other interviews.

I don't think he lets any of them get an easy ride. He's asking the questions that their opponents want him to answer - and he's doing it in a very robust way.

I think he goes too far sometimes and loves the limelight but I think he's professional enough to ensure he's like that with all sides (although I might change my opinion after watching the others).
I think he's an appalling interviewer.

Brian Walden he ain't!!

She didnt have a compliant, friendly interviewer for the first time in a long time.
Her party has an absolutely criminal record on the NHS in Scotland.
For the avoidance of doubt I'm no cheerleader for the SNP, but I try to view things in the round. I've also no problem with robust criticism but Sturgeon and the SNP are now having to deal with agendas way beyond that, or do you approve of Unionist electioneering which is becoming thinly-veiled hatred in numerous constituencies ?

That can be dealt with, but the levels of self-loathing in such a small nation are much more of a concern, to put it mildly.

Underpinning all of it is fear of course; fear of their personal situation being prejudiced; fear of the break-up of the British state; fear that all the shibboleths they have held dear would be exposed as dogshit by independence; fear of the other.

And when we get fear, it's partner is irrationality. Like describing the SNP's stewardship of the Scottish NHS as 'criminal' and blaming Sturgeon personally for contaminated water. Holy f**k.

1 minute ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

For the avoidance of doubt I'm no cheerleader for the SNP, but I try to view things in the round. I've also no problem with robust criticism but Sturgeon and the SNP are now having to deal with agendas way beyond that, or do you approve of Unionist electioneering which is becoming thinly-veiled hatred in numerous constituencies ?

That can be dealt with, but the levels of self-loathing in such a small nation are much more of a concern, to put it mildly.

Underpinning all of it is fear of course; fear of their personal situation being prejudiced; fear of the break-up of the British state; fear that all the shibboleths they have held dear would be exposed as dogshit by independence; fear of the other.

And when we get fear, it's partner is irrationality. Like describing the SNP's stewardship of the Scottish NHS as 'criminal' and blaming Sturgeon personally for contaminated water. Holy f**k.

Its also pretty poor to focus on health in a GE when health is not an issue as it's devolved.

An outstanding post (if nothing else than for the use of shibboleth).

Andrew Neil is a hideous drunk with an appalling attitude to women. His position at the spectator and his willingness to consistently publish racism (both dog whistle and outright) means it is a scandal he is still employed at the BBC. His parroting of the Banks/Wigmore misogyny towards Carole Cadwalladr was also unforgivable. 

I haven't seen tonight's interview but his technique is totally counter productive. You can hold people to account without aggression and talking over them. In a time where we talk about the tone of politics, the likes of him and morgan only generate headlines where people have been shredded, eviscerated, humiliated and so on.

Does that really further debate? Nothing will be achieved by his shouting over the next few days - unionists will claim Sturgeon was destroyed, Tories that Corbyn humiliated, everyone that Swinson was owned and labour supporters that Johnson was skewered. Nothing will change and nothing will be learned, Neil will frap himself daft whilst hitting the retweet button and in the same people who describe him as brilliant will lament politics as a bear pit in a few days time where no one listens to each other.

Its depressing as f**k. I used to be impressed by the similar style of paxman but it's just machismo bollocks. Much more will have come from the Friday QT than this utter clusterfuck of a format.

TL:DR - Neil is a c**t. 

1 minute ago, Placida Domingo said:

Its also pretty poor to focus on health in a GE when health is not an issue as it's devolved.

Disagree. As much as the NHS in Scotland isn't on the table per se in this election, having a well funded NHS in rUK is ultimately a good thing for Scotland because it breeds a caring society throughout the UK. Scots should be opposed to NHS privatisation even if it doesn't affect NHS Scotland directly.

1 minute ago, Donathan said:

Disagree. As much as the NHS in Scotland isn't on the table per se in this election, having a well funded NHS in rUK is ultimately a good thing for Scotland because it breeds a caring society throughout the UK. Scots should be opposed to NHS privatisation even if it doesn't affect NHS Scotland directly.

True but trolling Nicola about her governments record on health is out of order given it's a devolved issue and this is a general election.  No matter what the result the same people will be running the SNHS the day after the election.

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Perhaps Sturgeon was, to quote, 'an absolute mess' because like Andrew Neil, I suspect you desperately hoped that she would be; the venom in your post certainly suggests so.

Anyone expecting a balanced 'interview' was wasting their time here, as this was a bellicose verbal mugging from the off, at times so speculative and tangential to the forthcoming election as to be an exercise in partisan shitstirring.

As a reminder, The Growth Commission Report is not a statement of SNP policy, far less a manifesto. It contains positive, negative and neutral conclusions on aspects of future Scottish independence - not that we would have known that from this farrago.

Sturgeon was rattled, badly, but she found herself in the position of being aggressively hectored and talked over by a hireling who was utterly incapable of listening, never mind discussing the issues. And who at the end of proceedings could simply not mask his prejudices.

I'm surprised any fair-minded Scot would find relish in sharing them.

Nonsense, Neil is like that with every person he interviews. Watch the rest of his interviews with the leaders, or his one with Johnson for the Tory leadership contest. You may not like his style very much which is fine, but don't try and play the prejudices card. She struggled badly on a variety of issues, not because of his style of interviewing, but because she had no answer to his questions.

25 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Decimation of our local hospital - on her watch.

Cancer treatment targets missed - on her watch.

Overall treatment targets missed - on her watch.

Edinburgh sick kids hospital likely to be 9 years late - her watch as health minister and first minister.

Glasgow taken into special measures thanks in no small part to a state of the art hospital that can't keep its water clean - see a pattern here?

It's never the SNPs fault though. It's always Westminster. Or it's a problem they're in the process of fixing. Or, like the utterly reckless investment in Prestwick and BiFab, never questioned at all. There comes a point when the SNP record on areas like health or on big spend items has to be scrutinised and under anything like robust scrutiny they've been a monumental failure.

True but trolling Nicola about her governments record on health is out of order given it's a devolved issue and this is a general election.  No matter what the result the same people will be running the SNHS the day after the election.

Ok. But surely that’s a legitimate question and some indicator of capability once everything is at Holyrood?

2 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Ok. But surely that’s a legitimate question and some indicator of capability once everything is at Holyrood?

It is but it's allowing the unionist press to score cheap points on areas.not affected by this election and as such is a subversion of democracy.  The same way the likes of Scottish Labour campaigning on health and education in this election is too.

Andrew Neil will go through every single one of the charlatan leaders standing at this election in a similar manner. Some fairly, some not quite so fairly. But (I think) he deals mainly in facts and their own quotes.

The really disappointing thing from tonight’s episode is the number of Nicola’s fanboys on here throwing themselves over the puddle to protect her.

(And if anyone wants to take issue with the factual aspects of Neil’s interview tonight, feel free to share where he was unfair...)

It’s 30mins of tv that 90% of the voting population didn’t see. It’s not pivotal. But you did. And yet it persuades no one on here to question the capability of their dear leader? Hmmm...

1 minute ago, alta-pete said:

Andrew Neil will go through every single one of the charlatan leaders standing at this election in a similar manner. Some fairly, some not quite so fairly. But (I think) he deals mainly in facts and their own quotes.

The really disappointing thing from tonight’s episode is the number of Nicola’s fanboys on here throwing themselves over the puddle to protect her.

(And if anyone wants to take issue with the factual aspects of Neil’s interview tonight, feel free to share where he was unfair...)

It’s 30mins of tv that 90% of the voting population didn’t see. It’s not pivotal. But you did. And yet it persuades no one on here to question the capability of their dear leader? Hmmm...

When she pointed out that waiting times in Scotland are a lot lower than England or Wales he instantly dismissed it saying that's not much comfort to someone in A and E that they won't have to wait as long as someone in Grimsby.

That was deeply unfair, highly partisan and belied his own bias and hatred of the SNP.  If you want to hold her to account for the things that are not going well on health you have to also acknowledge the things they are doing well.  A balanced interview would do that, and perhaps allow her to.expand on that a little.

4 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

"Go through",  "dear leader", "fanboys". 

I guess you can be dismissed as "Team: Rangers," then?

Absolutely rams home my point. This kind of style doesn't work - it reinforces pre-conceived beliefs and nothing else whilst reducing politics to a nonsense macho sport for soundbites where guys like Neil and Morgan are relevant. The same interviewers who will ask why politics in such a bad place at the moment. 

The fact that he is still on, producing this nonsense for lowest common denominator consumption despite publishing racism repeatedly and indulging in misogyny says more about the state of our politics than these "eviscerating" interviews ever will.

Decimation of our local hospital - on her watch.
Cancer treatment targets missed - on her watch.
Overall treatment targets missed - on her watch.
Edinburgh sick kids hospital likely to be 9 years late - her watch as health minister and first minister.
Glasgow taken into special measures thanks in no small part to a state of the art hospital that can't keep its water clean - see a pattern here?

It's never the SNPs fault though. It's always Westminster. Or it's a problem they're in the process of fixing. Or, like the utterly reckless investment in Prestwick and BiFab, never questioned at all. There comes a point when the SNP record on areas like health or on big spend items has to be scrutinised and under anything like robust scrutiny they've been a monumental failure.

The vale of leven damage was done by the Labour Party, Jackie Baillie took the decision to shut the a&e and then started complaining as soon as the labour party were voted out that it was the SNP’s fault. The only department the SNP shut was the Christie Ward.

3 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

"The future of the scheme came under threat in 2007, when the Scottish National Party (SNP) published its manifesto for the Scottish Parliamentary election. The party made clear its intention to cancel the scheme, along with the Edinburgh Airport Rail Link, to save £1.1 billion.[16]

Following a lost vote in the Scottish Parliament, the SNP-led minority Scottish Government agreed to continue the line from the airport to Leith on condition that no more public money would be supplied."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edinburgh_Trams#Proposals_for_the_Edinburgh_tram_network

You're a fucking moron.

What point are you trying to make? That the trams fiasco was nothing to do with the SNP? Well, I'm sure it had nothing to do with the ever canny John Swinney  who kept the whole thing at least a barge pole length away. But the flaw in what you have eventually come up with, is that whoever has made that wiki entry (you, by any chance?) has been a bit sloppy with their language. Holyrood could refuse to facilitate the project, e.g. by refusing to extend funding. But it was not for them to cancel it. It was an Edinburgh  Council project and they could either have done it better or cancelled it at any time before contracts were signed in Dec 2007.Or even after. Now, guess who was in coalition control of Edinburgh council from May 2007?

No need to thank me, Parp. Educating the rude and ignorant is a civic duty for those of us not locked into a perma-rage.

(btw I am actually in favour of the trams - just not how the job was managed)

Sturgeon is comfortably the most genuine and most capable leader standing for a party in this election. Do you disagree with this?

There are some very credible criticisms of the SNP: health getting a lot of headlines but education is another one, and ultimately they're always going to struggle on the economy - because independence will be a bit of an economic earthquake, hopefully only a short term one.

But she handled those attacks tonight reasonably well, despite being understandably flustered.