General Election 2019 - AND IT’S LIVE!

Frank Grimes

X in the box for   

467 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's pretty much unwatchable.
Asks a question, then answers it himself.  Constant interruptions to the point any responses just get lost.
Its not productive or informative at all.

That was very watchable.

I want politicians to be grilled on detail. He's an arsehole but like every arsehole, he serves an important purpose.

Scotland is at risk in the long term with years and years of the Tories in charge, as Labour lumber from incompetent tosspot to incompetent tosspot and continue to destroy and end lives.

So... ya know, the short term risks of independence don't really matter to me. Other than that, grilling politicians is, as said, pretty important and serves a great purpose. And I think for someone who's as slick as Sturgeon, it's probably even MORE important. You take someone like her and give those qualities to a Labour or Tory candidate, and we'd all be cheering it on.

So aye, there's good and bad there.

She was an absolute mess.
First Neil's quotes from the growth commission report were wrong. Then she recognised that the quotes were correct but reckoned Neil didn't understand them. She finally plumped on acknowledging the quotes and Neil's understanding but flat out claiming that her own growth commission report was wrong.
Confirmatory referendum? She want's it for Brexit. She doesnt want it for any deal for independence as she'll set out the withdrawal deal before the vote. Except for the 2014 white paper which overestimated oil revenue by somewhere in the region of £7.5billion and included no proper proposal for independent Scotland's currency.
NHS? 28% of people might need to wait more than 12 weeks to be seen and some cancer patients are waiting more than 2 months for treatment but at least they're working on the problems (that they themselves created whilst in power at Holyrood). Super duper new hospital in Glasgow? Ach it's no biggie that pidgeon shite is contaminating the water supply and that people are dying. They're trying to fix it. Kiddies hospital 7 years late and counting because it's unsafe for use due to the risk of infection spreading? They're fixing it.
Not to mention the public money spunked on Prestwick, BiFab and Ferguson Marine. The money invested in BiFab has been subject to an almost total write off. Neil could have gone after those deals but didn't.
Truly terrifying stuff. Their record on the day job is absolutely woeful and Sturgeon and the SNP's failures were well exposed by an interviewer who wasn't on message with the SNP.
Perhaps Sturgeon was, to quote, 'an absolute mess' because like Andrew Neil, I suspect you desperately hoped that she would be; the venom in your post certainly suggests so.

Anyone expecting a balanced 'interview' was wasting their time here, as this was a bellicose verbal mugging from the off, at times so speculative and tangential to the forthcoming election as to be an exercise in partisan shitstirring.

As a reminder, The Growth Commission Report is not a statement of SNP policy, far less a manifesto. It contains positive, negative and neutral conclusions on aspects of future Scottish independence - not that we would have known that from this farrago.

Sturgeon was rattled, badly, but she found herself in the position of being aggressively hectored and talked over by a hireling who was utterly incapable of listening, never mind discussing the issues. And who at the end of proceedings could simply not mask his prejudices.

I'm surprised any fair-minded Scot would find relish in sharing them.

5 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Perhaps Sturgeon was, to quote, 'an absolute mess' because like Andrew Neil, I suspect you desperately hoped that she would be; the venom in your post certainly suggests so.

Anyone expecting a balanced 'interview' was wasting their time here, as this was a bellicose verbal mugging from the off, at times so speculative and tangential to the forthcoming election as to be an exercise in partisan shitstirring.

As a reminder, The Growth Commission Report is not a statement of SNP policy, far less a manifesto. It contains positive, negative and neutral conclusions on aspects of future Scottish independence - not that we would have known that from this farrago.

Sturgeon was rattled, badly, but she found herself in the position of being aggressively hectored and talked over by a hireling who was utterly incapable of listening, never mind discussing the issues. And who at the end of proceedings could simply not mask his prejudices.

I expect politicians to be robustly challenged on their performance in government or in opposition.

She was and she failed miserably. She wasn't dealing with a friendly interviewer who wouldn't give her an easy ride and she wasn't dealing with an ineffectual opposition. I expect governing parties to be given a hard time if only because its necessary to hold them to account and challenge them to do better.

Sturgeon and the SNP have gone unchallenged in that regard for far too long.

Very easy to spot those in favour of Scottish Independence on this thread and those against.

I've seen Neil getting the better of many politicians over the years - we all knew he would give Nicola came a hard time, and he did, I still thought she came through it pretty well.

It will be interesting to see how tomorrow night goes with Neil v Corbyn.

3 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Very easy to spot those in favour of Scottish Independence on this thread and those against.

I've seen Neil getting the better of many politicians over the years - we all knew he would give Nicola came a hard time, and he did, I still thought she came through it pretty well.

It will be interesting to see how tomorrow night goes with Neil v Corbyn.

I'm a huge fan of independence and tbh l thought she was poor.  Probably the worst I've seen her.  I bet Salmond would have handled that much better.

Edited by Placida Domingo

3 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

Tory MP candidate caught getting friend to pose as anti-Labour swing voter, as party's disinformation campaign continues

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/general-election-latest-tory-fake-swing-voter-boris-johnson-crick-ashfield-lee-anderson-a9216986.html

Same kind of c unts who conducted so many dirty tricks through the referendum campaign and got the country into the fucking mess it's in now.

15 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

I expect politicians to be robustly challenged on their performance in government or in opposition.

She was and she failed miserably. She wasn't dealing with a friendly interviewer who wouldn't give her an easy ride and she wasn't dealing with an ineffectual opposition. I expect governing parties to be given a hard time if only because its necessary to hold them to account and challenge them to do better.

Every single day on TV or in the Media for the last decade there has been negative reporting toward the Scottish government, just remember there is no such thing as Scottish media.

Loughborough uni did a survey on negative-positive headlines for all political parties.... SNP-BREXIT-LIB DEMS all negative -10,000 plus......Labour -70,000.....but magically the Tories (remember everyone that owns the majority of the papers-tv are Tory donors) were + 30,000 positive headlines....funny that?

She didnt have a compliant, friendly interviewer for the first time in a long time.
Her party has an absolutely criminal record on the NHS in Scotland.
I'm happy to admit that she was on the ropes a lot there (and rightly so) but this is just pish. You're seriously deluded if you think you're judging sturgeon with balance and reason.

All I would say is make sure you watch the other interviews.

I don't think he lets any of them get an easy ride. He's asking the questions that their opponents want him to answer - and he's doing it in a very robust way.

I think he goes too far sometimes and loves the limelight but I think he's professional enough to ensure he's like that with all sides (although I might change my opinion after watching the others).

5 minutes ago, Placida Domingo said:

I'm a huge fan of independence and tbh l thought she was poor.  Probably the worst I've seen her.  I bet Salmond would have handled that much better.

She did have a bad time with Neil around the time of Indyref1 when he exposed several flaws on the SNP's currency plans.

She's come on leaps and bounds since that one.