General Election 2019 - AND IT’S LIVE!

Frank Grimes

X in the box for   

467 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The oil is running oot. What else we got?

Whiskey?

Ok, maybe whiskey.

We’ve also made advancements in the tech industry, look at the success of GTA as an example.

Ok, we’ve got that. But we’d still be skint!

What about the booming success of the gin industry?

Aye, but it’s a fad!

Tourism as well. Scotland generated 220 million on tourists from music alone last year.

We’d still be skint!!! We’ve got nothing to offer!!!

I honestly think Unionists fucking hate Scotland.

3 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

The oil is running oot. What else we got?

Whiskey?

Ok, maybe whiskey.

We’ve also made advancements in the tech industry, look at the success of GTA as an example.

Ok, we’ve got that. But we’d still be skint!

What about the booming success of the gin industry?

Aye, but it’s a fad!

Tourism as well. Scotland generated 220 million on tourists from music alone last year.

We’d still be skint!!! We’ve got nothing to offer!!!

I honestly think Unionists fucking hate Scotland.

They do.

Am I being whooshed here?
It's up to the individual to make their own way.
Government is there to support people who can't but it's still up to the individual to look after themselves as best they can.
What's the problem with this mindset?

That link doesn’t work for me but tend to agree with the sentiment.

Government should facilitate an economy/society that allows you to make your way not to provide you with a living. That’s my Tory opinion for the day.

16 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

That link doesn’t work for me but tend to agree with the sentiment.

Government should facilitate an economy/society that allows you to make your way not to provide you with a living. That’s my Tory opinion for the day.

If government aren't partially responsible why has poverty increased dramatically under this government?  Have people just miraculously gotten lazier?

what's a single mum with two or three kids supposed to do? She can't work enough to.earn enough in most cases to lift.her family our of poverty, her benefits have been cut in real terms for nine years in a row now.  InEngland the Tories don't provide the same level of childcare as we get here so what is she supposed to do?  Sell a kid?  just.be.born rich?  not have kids in the first place?

If the.government doesn't put support systems and a safety net in place.that at least keeps a person like that's head above water, that's not one but four people in poverty.now. This.government has removed that.safety net.  And with cuts to funding of state schools and.massive.tuition fees to.go to university, how.are.her.kids supposed to break.that cycle?  A cycle this government has created.

how can she better herself and.help her family not be dependent on state support?  She.can't get the education required to allow her to earn enough to not need help as she doesn't have the time and can't afford it anyway as this government has made it.prohibitively expensive. And by creating this cycle this government creates generations of welfare dependents in a cycle of poverty as they remove.the social mobility ladder.

Edited by Kuro

4 minutes ago, Kuro said:

If government aren't partially responsible why has poverty increased dramatically under this government?  Have people just miraculously gotten lazier?

This would come under facilitating an economy/society that allows people to do this.

I am no supporter of this government. I don't know what the Priti Patel quote is as the link didn't work. I just said the government doesn't owe people a living.

10 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

This would come under facilitating an economy/society that allows people to do this.

I am no supporter of this government. I don't know what the Priti Patel quote is as the link didn't work. I just said the government doesn't owe people a living.

That's not answering the question. If government aren't to blame why has poverty increased so much under this government?  Why does poverty increase dramatically under every Tory government?

31 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

What private profits? What companies are you talking about? Many companies make a loss each year. What about those companies?

If companies are making a loss every year then they are going to have problems no matter what wage they pay.

In the specific case I was talking about, the company made a £180m profit in the tax year 16/17, and the only times in recent history where they haven't posted a profit in recent years is when they have been hit with significant claims for misselling various financial products.

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

She ignores that local government budgets and spending priorities are largely determined by central government.

Birmingham city counci were tweeting today they have had to make £800 million of cuts since 2010 and cut their staff from 24000 to 8000.  They say they're at breaking point and can't take any more.

37 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

You'd need a law ensuring they couldn't simply pass on that levy in rent but otherwise I agree with this sentiment.

The housing crisis has absolutely been caused by people owning multiple homes in a time of national shortage.

Should have multiquoted this but missed it...

Anyone buying to let will be looking at the yield and will know the top end of what they can charge. If you have to pay 25% on top of the buying price, you will not be able to make that up by charging extra on the rent, it would make too much of a difference to the price and would see the property sitting empty.

I actually have a flat back home which I rent out and I am considering buying a second one. The 3% charge is nothing like enough to make it unattractive as a long term investment. FWIW I actually charge far less than I could for the flat that I do let out, and even then I still cover the mortgage and other costs and have a little left over to cover emergencies. The only reason I haven't bought another is that I have other things happening here that I've had to prioritise. If you are content to be patient and don't expect huge numbers, large parts of the Scottish property market are very good value for money.

6 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

Sorry Pal but I have to disagree with you stating black kids are better off now than our grandparents were 60 years ago, that is given that the average age or our grandparents is say 70,

I have Visited/worked in most West African countries and that is definately not the case, a lot of kids are in survival mode daily with sparse educational facilities and poor living conditions.

If you were to compare our grandparents with one area then that is Asia where in the main Children are well educated and provided for with ample work opportunities and financial growth.

I said "great" grandparents.

7 minutes ago, Kuro said:

That's not answering the question. If government aren't to blame why has poverty increased so much under this government?  Why does poverty increase dramatically under every Tory government?

I wasn't trying to answer your question. You've jumped in two footed and I've explained why that was misguided.

As I said, I am no fan of this government.

4 hours ago, Malky3 said:

Nope. Its because you stated that blacks in Africa had evolved to become wealthier than my Grandparents. It implies that the reason they were poor in the first place was because of their genetic make up and that they used to be genetically inferior to mt grandparents. 

I accept your intention wasn't racist. It was just a stupid and inappropriate reference. But it was somewhat racist. 

I said "great" grandparents.

But you continue making things up as you like. it's what you do on here.

23 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

There is a massive housing crisis which has inflated rental and sales prices to levels which lock people out of home ownership and force them into inflated rental properties and /or homelessness.

If you own more than one property, you are part of this problem.

Never mind the levy, is your consciousness not telling you the right thing to do here?

I own one flat in an area that many, if not most people, do not want to buy in, and I charge my tenant less than they would pay for an identical flat with the local housing association. I’m more than content with my conscience.

Edited by Ross.

5 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I hear people say that a lot, often citing continental Europe as the example of lifelong renting but it doesn't seem to be particularly true:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_home_ownership_rate

Good point well made. I was probably thinking of Germany and anecdotal evidence. I won't change a word about @Ross. though.

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

You'd need a law ensuring they couldn't simply pass on that levy in rent but otherwise I agree with this sentiment.

The housing crisis has absolutely been caused by people owning multiple homes in a time of national shortage.

That's nonsense. There are 2,500,000 households in Scotland. There are 25,000 second homes - 1%.  The housing shortage is driven by the inexorable rise in households over the last 40+ years - and the failure of house building to keep up with demand - aided and abetted by a general nimby attitude to every new scheme. People used to live typically in a house containing, mum,dad, maybe a granny and 2.4 kids who moved out when they got married in their 20s. Now mum and dad probably live in separate houses, granny is in  sheltered accommodation and one or both kids go to uni in a different city and and rent a flat. The populations (in the cities) have been rising again for the last 20 years - Edin up 10%. And now thousands of previously rental flats are headed to air bnb use. Edin Council somehow manage to have 1500 properties that have been vacant for over a year.

There are many reasons for the "housing crisis" Second homes are maybe a significant problem in the highlands and Islands, but elsewhere there are far bigger elephants in the room.